Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Banned
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not new to guns but new to concealed carry. For the first time yesterday I was able to wear my new Comp Tac holster, new belt and my 40 XDm compact. I have to say, it was very weird and a little different then I expected. It was just outside my house for a while. Today will be the first time in public.

The holster I assume has to get broken in a little especially since it's leather, the new belt too. I assume that's why it felt so stiff and tight? Anyways, one of the biggest things was the textured back strap rubbing on my back. I guess this will be something you get used to? Also, I didn’t think it would feel as heavy as it did. I felt like I had to keep pulling my pants up. I guess I could have tightened the belt another hole but then when I sat down the front of my pants felt way too tight.

Anyone else have experiences like this when just starting out?

Also, I wasn't carrying yesterday with one chambered. Just the mag inserted. I know that is not the proper way to carry but I wanted to get used to the feel before having that gun ready to fire. Am I just being paranoid?

I have another issue too. When at work I just keep it in a backpack in the XDm holster that came with it. I have my own office that nobody else is in and lock it if I leave to go somewhere else in the building. When I leave to go home, or come in to work the gun is in my center console in the XDm holster. I can't wear concealed here because I cannot afford to have the waist in all my suit pants let out.

So this is the other question; once I leave work and go home and change I will wear shorts or pants and wear the MTAC IWB holster because it will fit in all my casual pants. While driving I thought about taking it out of the IWB holster and putting it in the XDm holster in the console so it would be easier to get to if I ever needed it. Once I get to my destination I would take it out and then insert into the IWB. Is this too much holstering and un-holstering? It would be every time I got in or out of my truck I would be changing holsters. Is that an accident waiting to happen since I really shouldn't be handling the gun unless I am going to use it?

Just thought I would post this to read the different opinions and your experiences when you first started.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I cc either a hk usp compact .40, or a springer 1911 aluminum frame 4". I also use a comp tac mtac and it does get better once broken in. you might as well start carrying loaded, jistt remember the rules. do you frequently take your suit jacket off? if not you could try a pancake holster or a shoulder holster. if you wanted to adapt better to the settings you could even get something like a glock 27 for an ankle rig... always keep options open

·
Registered
755 Posts
the belt is stiff by design, this helps support the weight around your waist and keeps sagging in area you carry down. Personally i dont have a problem having to pull pants up and i think you may need to go a little tighter. There are a lot of gun belts that dont have "holes" that you may be better suited for if the next hole is too tight. As for the car, if you will have to get in and out a lot, you might wanna try an owb that you can remove easier. im not sure but i think its comptac that has a model you can leave paddle in and snap off holster. this way you could eliminate need to pull gun in and out. In my opinion, the more taking gun in and out of holster while loaded, the more oppurtunities for mistakes.

You said you wear dress pants, do you also wear a coat or blazer? If so an owb would probably work. If not, you may benefit from a much smaller gun... something along lines of p3at, lcp, lc9.

A few people on forum have mounted xd gear holster or others into their car under steering wheel on onto side of center console.

Sorry to hear your having a hard time finding your most comfortable carry set up, but dont get discouraged. The more you carry, the more natural it will feel until you will feel "naked" when its not on you

·
Banned
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the belt is stiff by design, this helps support the weight around your waist and keeps sagging in area you carry down. Personally i dont have a problem having to pull pants up and i think you may need to go a little tighter. There are a lot of gun belts that dont have "holes" that you may be better suited for if the next hole is too tight. As for the car, if you will have to get in and out a lot, you might wanna try an owb that you can remove easier. im not sure but i think its comptac that has a model you can leave paddle in and snap off holster. this way you could eliminate need to pull gun in and out. In my opinion, the more taking gun in and out of holster while loaded, the more oppurtunities for mistakes.

You said you wear dress pants, do you also wear a coat or blazer? If so an owb would probably work. If not, you may benefit from a much smaller gun... something along lines of p3at, lcp, lc9.

A few people on forum have mounted xd gear holster or others into their car under steering wheel on onto side of center console.

Sorry to hear your having a hard time finding your most comfortable carry set up, but dont get discouraged. The more you carry, the more natural it will feel until you will feel "naked" when its not on you
Yeah I hear you. Yesterday was the first day so I'll give it more time. I do have a coat at work but its off 99% of the time. I would love to see how guys mounted their holsters. I just sit mine up in the concole but it would entail having to grab the holster and then then pull the gun out if needed.

I thought the 40 compact would be small for CC but it is much larger then I thought once it was on. Oh well, I'll get used to it as I don't want to go down to a smaller caliber then 40. Just have to get used to the weight and the rubbing of the back starp on my skin. Not complaing just saying it's a brand new thing.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
I think everyone one was either busy getting to work or half asleep to answer lol. Anyways as far as the belt issue do you have a reasonably stiff belt? I use a wilderness and 5.11 tactical belt and both do their jobs well with keeping my pants in place while carrying IWB. if you need something for more of a business wear check out crossbreed. As far taking it in and out of the console, if you feel that it is easier to get to if need then I guess you can leave it that way. Or you can give yourself another excuse to buy a pocket pistol/revolver. I had sold my PPS into thinking I want to CC a xdm9 compact, but I realized that I like to ability to slip it in my pocket and go on long drives (my job requires me to drive for 7-9 hrs) w/o the back end of a slide jutting into my fat gut.

·
Banned
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think everyone one was either busy getting to work or half asleep to answer lol. Anyways as far as the belt issue do you have a reasonably stiff belt? I use a wilderness and 5.11 tactical belt and both do their jobs well with keeping my pants in place while carrying IWB. if you need something for more of a business wear check out crossbreed. As far taking it in and out of the console, if you feel that it is easier to get to if need then I guess you can leave it that way. Or you can give yourself another excuse to buy a pocket pistol/revolver. I had sold my PPS into thinking I want to CC a xdm9 compact, but I realized that I like to ability to slip it in my pocket and go on long drives (my job requires me to drive for 7-9 hrs) w/o the back end of a slide jutting into my fat gut.

Ha ha ha..fat gut!! :-o Yeah I think the belt is good, I guess I just need to tighten it a little. I can go another hole but it's a little tighter then I like when sitting down.......due to MY fat gut!

I got my belt from bullhidebelts.com

Attachments

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Not new to guns but new to concealed carry. For the first time yesterday I was able to wear my new Comp Tac holster, new belt and my 40 XDm compact. I have to say, it was very weird and a little different then I expected. It was just outside my house for a while. Today will be the first time in public.

The holster I assume has to get broken in a little especially since it's leather, the new belt too. I assume that's why it felt so stiff and tight? Anyways, one of the biggest things was the textured back strap rubbing on my back. I guess this will be something you get used to? Also, I didn’t think it would feel as heavy as it did. I felt like I had to keep pulling my pants up. I guess I could have tightened the belt another hole but then when I sat down the front of my pants felt way too tight.

Anyone else have experiences like this when just starting out?

Also, I wasn't carrying yesterday with one chambered. Just the mag inserted. I know that is not the proper way to carry but I wanted to get used to the feel before having that gun ready to fire. Am I just being paranoid?

I have another issue too. When at work I just keep it in a backpack in the XDm holster that came with it. I have my own office that nobody else is in and lock it if I leave to go somewhere else in the building. When I leave to go home, or come in to work the gun is in my center console in the XDm holster. I can't wear concealed here because I cannot afford to have the waist in all my suit pants let out.

So this is the other question; once I leave work and go home and change I will wear shorts or pants and wear the MTAC IWB holster because it will fit in all my casual pants. While driving I thought about taking it out of the IWB holster and putting it in the XDm holster in the console so it would be easier to get to if I ever needed it. Once I get to my destination I would take it out and then insert into the IWB. Is this too much holstering and un-holstering? It would be every time I got in or out of my truck I would be changing holsters. Is that an accident waiting to happen since I really shouldn't be handling the gun unless I am going to use it?

Just thought I would post this to read the different opinions and your experiences when you first started.
CC felt weird for me for probably the first few weeks. I was self-conscious because I wasn't sure if anyone was able to see the weapon and magazine holder under my shirt. I carried with one in the chamber right from the get-go because I wanted the weapon to be ready if I needed it.

I have been CC a weapon for years now, and I hardly even notice it anymore. I now CC all the time, even at home. My home state allows CC in a car. During the summer, I carry in my holster because it is easy to draw the weapon. In winter, I am usually wearing a heavy coat, so I place the unholstered weapon in a compartment next to the console. It is easy to reach in there, yet it won't fall out during driving.

My private office is in Wisconsin. This state doesn't allow CC, unless it is on your property or in your place of business. I have to unload and case my weapon at the state line before I drive in. When I get to my office, I reload my gun, chamber a round, and CC. I reverse the process when going home. Right now, legislation has been introduced for CC, so hopefully soon, I won't have to disarm myself during driving anymore.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Ron,

Welcome to the wonderful world of concealed carry. Fellow Richmonder here (and HUGE Giants fan...GO BIG BLUE!)

Anyway, leather holsters do start out a bit tight and will break in a bit. The key is finding that comfort spot on the body to wear it. I usually carry IWB around the 4-5 o'clock position. Its just something that you'll have to play with to get it right.

Secondly, you must carry with one in the chamber. No excuses. Without a chambered round, you are carrying a brick. Come to my class and let me teach you about the 21 foot rule. That will change your mind quick about a round in the chamber.

Many folks mount some type of holster within their car. Also, you can clip some holsters to the passenger seat belt. Its preferred by folks who carry IWB (especially righties) to remove the gun from the IWB holster and secure it in the car holster so that you don't have to fight the seat belt, or struggle with it to get it out in an emergency, or have the gun smashed into your hip if you have a traffic accident.

Just some thoughts...hope they help. Please let me know if I can assist you with any future training needs.

Jim

·
Banned
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Banned
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ron,

Welcome to the wonderful world of concealed carry. Fellow Richmonder here (and HUGE Giants fan...GO BIG BLUE!)

Anyway, leather holsters do start out a bit tight and will break in a bit. The key is finding that comfort spot on the body to wear it. I usually carry IWB around the 4-5 o'clock position. Its just something that you'll have to play with to get it right.

Secondly, you must carry with one in the chamber. No excuses. Without a chambered round, you are carrying a brick. Come to my class and let me teach you about the 21 foot rule. That will change your mind quick about a round in the chamber.

Many folks mount some type of holster within their car. Also, you can clip some holsters to the passenger seat belt. Its preferred by folks who carry IWB (especially righties) to remove the gun from the IWB holster and secure it in the car holster so that you don't have to fight the seat belt, or struggle with it to get it out in an emergency, or have the gun smashed into your hip if you have a traffic accident.

Just some thoughts...hope they help. Please let me know if I can assist you with any future training needs.

Jim
Thanks Jim! I'm going to PM you here in a little while.

·
Premium Member
127,161 Posts
Before investing in a vehicle mount check your state's concealed carry laws. In Ohio it is illegal to do so.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I am new enough to CC (about 2 years) that your comments sound familiar. I felt really weird the first few times I carried. It has become second nature now. I am sure there are several members here that are more knowlegable than me who will give you good advice. I'll just add something that has worked well for me: sweater vests. I'm an old guy so I don't mind looking less than fashionable. They look good with a sport coat and also keep my gun covered after the jacket comes off. I prefer the one's that button down the front so I have the option of letting it hang open. They have some at Wintersilks for about $30.

For the long term you might want to consider having your pants let out and/or buying a larger size when you get new ones. I was fortunate that carrying concealed gave me some extra incentive to drop an unneeded ten pounds.

·
Banned
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Before investing in a vehicle mount check your state's concealed carry laws. In Ohio it is illegal to do so.

In VA you can open carry with no permit and conceal carry with a permit. You just can't shoot a bad guy until you can prove you are ready to die even in your home.

Imp pretty sure if I recall correctly, if someone else is riding with you in your vehicle that doesn't have a concealed permit and you have it in the console or under the seat etc. they could be charged even if the gun is yours.

However, I think that law changed July 2010 that says if the gun isn't on the person that holds the permit, the gun has to be secured in a container or case its fine. The law doesn't say "locked" just secured. The attorney that taught part of my concealed class says this is a little shady and that nobody he knows attorney wise has had represented in a case relating to this new law and the terminology "secured".

·
Registered
194 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Wearing a gun begins with all the aches and pains of wearing a new pair of leather dress shoes. Except, in general it doesn't get much better with time. If the belt stretches and softens then it become ineffective. Luckily that doesn't happen very quickly. The same with leather holsters.

I carry a Springfield Champion SS most of the time. IWB/Comp Tac on a Galco belt. Shirt un-tucked. Deep cover is a Kimber Ultra CDP in a kangaroo pouch. Concealed Carry Holster | Shoulder Holsters | CCW Holsters | Deep Conceal In the car for distance I stuff something into a SafePacker laced through with the seatbelt and drop a carbine behind the front seat. Such is life in the great south west.

The single thing I recall most about those first months of CCW is how many people violate the personal sphere and how many actually try to touch you. Shoping is a game of bumper-cars (without the car) for many folks--a bump here a nudge there. It wasn't long before I developed a stand-off-ish demeanor and began to project a don't touch me attitude. Many people were on the receiving end of the dead-eyed stare.

Luckily, my state mandated CCW class had a section on posture and purpose. Standing up straight, projecting an air of confidence and moving with purpose allowed me to establish, or if necessary regain and maintain that safety bubble. That stopped most bumps and nudges.

Where actual contact is made with the gun, I mumble an 'excuse me' and move away. If I draw a comment I simple reply it's a large belt tool. Occasionally someone will return a snide "right" but actual challenge seldom happens.

As for printing or showing an outline or bulge, most people don't pay any attention. In some situations you could wear your underwear over your jeans and still draw little or no attention--don't worry about a hidden gun. Undies as a hat may be a different story depending on whose undies and what situation.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hi Ron I have similar problems with concealed carry and tried many holsters for my xd9sc. I have purchased a belly band holster and just love it. You can wear it high on your chest or low around you waist/butt. I drive a sports car and it is the only holster I can wear due to my size vs. the car. My pants stay up with out gasping for air, and I can tuck my shirt in. I wear it mostly as a cross draw style and it is still easy to get to if needed. My belly band will hold a full size glock 21 and my xd9 and still not move and be comfortable. It has a place for 2 magazines as well. Cost is around $35 to $40 bucks and it is washable.

·
Registered
755 Posts
one more thing...
a trick to a tight leather holster is to put gun in dress sock or plastic bag, and then insert into holster and leave overnight to stretch leather

·
Registered
205 Posts
When I know I'll be in the truck for a while I carry my LCR instead of my XD. I usually put it in it's pocket holster and then shove the whole thing between the drivers and middle seat cushions for retention.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts