Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being new to CCW issues I would like to know if you carry with a live round in the chamber in your XD. For those of you who use the IWB type holsters are you comfortable carrying with a round ready in the pipe? My owners manual to my new XD40 says never to holster the weapon with a live round in the chamber. Is this practical for CCW? What does everyone think about that warning?
Now if they would just pass a CCW law in Wisconsin!!!!

·
Registered
44 Posts
My personal opinion is that if you are going to carry a gun in order to protect yourself and your family/friends, then you better carry the gun ready to shoot. The time that it takes to rack the slide, and the loss of the the stealth you might have, can be life or death in the heat of battle. If there is ever a time that I need to draw my weapon, there will be now doubt that when I pull the trigger it will go bang. I have had many discussions with people about this same topic, and the opinions vary widely. But why carry if you are not prepared to use it? Feel free to chime in everyone, this one could get quite hot :twisted:

·
Registered
823 Posts
Cocked and locked and ready to rock.

I just liked the sound of that, but that is the way I carry, one in the pipe.

·
Registered
149 Posts
As to drawing.

Pratice with an unloaded weapon.

As to holstering, some guys place their thumb where where the slide meets the frame near the cocked indicator. This keeps the grip saftey from being depressed, which keeps the gun from going off is the trigger gets caught on somting as you are holstering it. (I know i do it this way)

·
Registered
105 Posts
If you think the bad guy is going to give you time to chamber a round you probably don't wear a seat belt and believe you'll have time to fasten it just before the crash, right?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Yes I carry a live round in the chamber, but only because it is such a bother to try and findl a dead round to put there. :lol:

·
Registered
50 Posts
"A gun without a round in the chamber is an unloaded gun, I don't carry an unloaded gun for my protection. " Tom Gresham on Gun Talk

www.guntalk.com check out the archives

I agree but you may want to try it for a few days without one in the chamber to get that warm fuzzy feeling that it will not go off if you are careful and watch what you are doing. Or better yet take an NRA training class, can't hurt and you may just learn something.

btw. welcome to the forum :)

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
A carry pistol without a round in the chamber is an unloaded gun. An unloaded gun is an expensive paperweight.

If you are carrying for self defense, and you need the USE that pistol for self defense, you won't be having any time to fool around with racking the slide and such, you want to be able to draw and shoot RIGHT NOW! Follow the advice of the others above and carry without a chambered round for awhile if you like, but try to get comfortable with a chambered round as soon as you can.

·
Registered
302 Posts
To quote United States Marshall Rooster Cogburn:

"A gun that's unloaded and cocked ain't good for nothin'!"

P.S. For those of you "uncultured" or too young, that would be John Wayne as Rooster Cogburn in True Grit

·
Registered
179 Posts
I can understand the temptation to carry the gun in a "safer" mode, but remember, if you need it, you are going to be having the biggest adrenaline surge of your life at the same time. You may not remember to chamber a round, you may not have time or you might fumble the the entire gun or have an AD while trying to rack the slide. Get some training, practice your shooting at the range until it is second nature and when you have confidence in yourself and your mastery of the gun, you won't feel so nervous. (And if you still do, get a double action revolver, your subconcious is trying to tell you something.)

Good luck and stay safe.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I agree with the postings, having the CCW gives you the enormous responsibility and privilege of being able to defend yourself and yours from a deadly threat. In a CCW situation range rules do not apply. Spending a fair amount of time drawing your sidearm and feeling comfortable with it on your waist or back is part of what will make you comfortable and skilled in drawing and engaging your assailant. Being comfortable in drawing and sighting is something that comes from practice. This is your life you are dealing with here.

Cocked and locked!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Yeah, I agree that it doesn't pay to carry an unloaded gun if you think you are gonna need it in time.
keith5611: You said that WI needs to pass CCW...Where in WI you from??? I'm from Suamico, which is about 10 min. from Green Bay. Oh yeah, I agree that they need to wake up and look at the facts from every other state that did.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I haven't applied for the cc yet, but I've had the class, just haven't been over to the sheriffs office. But I've only opened carried 1 time since I've had my xd, had 1 in the chamber, figured you have to trust your weapon and your ability to carry ready to use.
1 thing I like about the xd is that while it's ready to rock, it's supposedly a very safe pistol.

·
Registered
163 Posts
not that i know alot cause i don't, but in my firearm safety course and concealed carry class, the instructor told us each of us had to evaluate for ourselves and decide what condition we wanted to carry. he did say that mossad agent's are trained to carry's in condition 3 and to go to 0 as they draw. (don't know if it's true just what he said) as for me i dunno yet, just mailed off my permit app so i got a month to decide.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I carry with one in the chamber, IWB ~2 o' clock - 2:30. Before I got my CCW, I'd carry my XD around home IWB unloaded just to get use to it and practice holstering it with my thumb on the back of the slide, being sure I wasn't touching the grip safety. When I finally did get my license, I still carried unloaded for a few more weeks until I grew into the habit of holstering it with my thumb on the slide.

You'll have to make your own decison on how to carry. I've had family and friends say, "You carry that thing loaded?!?You're gonna shoot your (blank) off!" and, "Is someone out to get you or what?" Hell, I even have a friend who carries FMJ's. Told me, "If I have to shoot someone, I'm gonna shoot them in the leg, I'm not going to jail for murder." I tried to talk some sense into him, but he wouldn't listen.

·
Registered
325 Posts
When I first got my CCW I felt funny about carrying one in the pipe. It didnt feel as safe to me so I carried cocked without one in the pipe for about a month. Once I knew it wasn't going to go off it seemed kind of silly not to put the bullet in. Ever since then I have carried ready to fire. When my wife got her CCW she did not feel comfortable carrying one in the pipe at first. I told her not to until she felt comfortable. It took about three weeks but now she is always ready. I would advise you to do the same thing if it just doesnt feel safe to you. It won't take long and you will feel better about it. Then you will be glad you did.

1 - 20 of 103 Posts