Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I've had my CCW license for a few months, I only recently got my first CCW holster - a Desantis Sof-Tuck(IWB non-custom fit holster) which I purchased for my XD 9 Service.

The first day that I wore it, I was out with the wife running some errands for a couple of hours, and chose to wear it at approx 4-430 position. I thought for the full size handgun, it concealed ok(was wearing somewhat loose t-shirt untucked, as is normal for me, with jeans). The biggiest issue I had with comfort in this position is that the slide of the gun would dig into either the very bottom tip of my hip bone or press into the nerve right behind it. I was eventually able to find a somewhat ok spot for it in this position, but it still dug into the muscle in the same area. Granted this was my first time wearing, so between the comfort aspect and first day jitters, it was pretty good. I found the easiest way to get over the jitters was to watch other peoples eyes and see where they were looking. Not one person(that I saw) noticed I was carrying, which I felt was pretty awesome, as in my minds eye, I was printing so bad I may as well have been open carrying(the wife said she hardly noticed)

The next time we went out, we went to a local fair, so of course I was carrying, but I changed the cant and relocated the holster to a 3 o clock position. I found this to be FAR more comfortable to wear, even though I felt if I wasn't wearing a jacket that day, I would have been printing quite a bit more. To be honest, though, for walking around for long periods of time, in spite of making my pants look a little odd, this position was great.

Since then, I've gone out a couple more times for quick trips, and I find this holster to be great for just throwing it on last second, as the clip system for affixing it to your clothes is pretty convenient. The clip is kind of a 'double clip' I guess you might call it, with it clipping to your pants, and a J-hook kind of affair on the outside of it to grab the bottom of your belt. It's pretty easy to use, although to be fair, if with this handgun, if wearing for any amount of time, its a lot more comfortable if wearing an undershirt of some kind(I was wearing a wife beater, but SOMETHING between the grip and skin is recommended for more than a quick errand).

Cheers!:cool:

·
Registered
670 Posts
Congrads. Don't worry too much about others seeing. I open carry and you wouldn't believe how many people simply don't notice a full size Glock on my hip in an OWB holster.

·
Premium Member
1,329 Posts
Just remember a Right not exercised is a Right lost. I carry every day every where, any time I leave the house. I encourage you to do the same! :)

·
Registered
931 Posts
most people on this forum RAVE about the Crossbreed Supertuck IWB holster. I don't have one, but might consider it. I also have XD9 service that I am just starting to carry, when the wife has the Bersa Thunder 380.

give it a look

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was really considering bothe the supertuck abd the m-tac but they are out of my current price range, which is one of the things that caught my eye on my current holster. Eventually, i'd like to get one

Sent from my SPH-M910 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
You'll find that a gun as large as the XD erv will not be a comfy gun to carry all day & be able to effective conceal, at least IME. I am 5-10/185#. I can easily conceal a flat 1911, but the thicker/larger grip of the XD service/tac is problematic unless I am wearing a coat or other cover garment. Holster selection matters & IWb is the only thing that works for me w/ a wide selection of clothing. Eventually you may decide on a smaller gun for better concealment if EDC. The XDC is a better choice there IMO.

·
Premium Member
3,383 Posts
I've been carrying a .40 XD 4" full time for 6 years and find no problems whatsoever. 95% of the time I'm just wearing a tee shirt. Rest of the time I tuck it in around my CBST. Good to go. 4-4:30 position depending on where it decides to ride.

·
Registered
340 Posts
You'll find that a gun as large as the XD erv will not be a comfy gun to carry all day & be able to effective conceal, at least IME. I am 5-10/185#. I can easily conceal a flat 1911, but the thicker/larger grip of the XD service/tac is problematic unless I am wearing a coat or other cover garment. Holster selection matters & IWb is the only thing that works for me w/ a wide selection of clothing. Eventually you may decide on a smaller gun for better concealment if EDC. The XDC is a better choice there IMO.

I'm 5'11" 170lbs. I carry a XDm compact in a MTAC holster. I can wear it all day no problem, and it conceals fine. Even with semi tight t-shirts no one can notice it, even if they know it's there.

·
Registered
670 Posts
It's really going to come down to you. Some people have no problem carrying a full size XD or any other full size gun. Other people don't want to carry anything bigger/heavier than a Ruger LCP.

·
Registered
31,568 Posts
You may end up using one and only one holster, or you may end up with a box full of ones you don't like and a couple you do like. It is different for everyone. Don't give up and just keep moving it around until you find the sweet spot. If you don't find it, try another holster.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
Congrats!

You will learn not everyone can see the outline of your gun and not every movement flashes it.
You will learn not everyone is pointing at you - "He's got a gun!"
You will learn that the more you wear it, the more comfortable you will be with it. If you have a truly GOOD holster/belt combo, you will hardly notice it.
You will learn to "dress around the gun". Dark colors and patterns are your friend, as are loose-fitting shirts.
You will learn to not tug on the hem of your shirt every 5 minutes to assure yourself you're still concealed.
You will learn to stop constantly adjusting the holster. In fact, if the holster/belt is the proper fit, you won't need to.
You will learn to stop touching the butt with your elbow just to assure yourself that it's still in place.
You will learn to give a little extra clearance on your carry side.
You will learn to reach overhead with your weak-side hand.
You will learn to stoop or kneel rather than bend.
You will learn to move through crowds with your strong side to the rear.
You will learn to embrace low, to force your counterpart's arms/hands up, away from your piece.

In short, you will learn.

·
Registered
677 Posts
When i first got my vm2 I would where it around the house yard for week with a loaded kimber ultra2 chambered no one noticed wife,kids,neibors, then it's was out to the stores normal places you would go
Then it's off to parent teacher conference at the high school talked to all the teachers. Came home no problem I was never nervous so iam convinced I was my normal self. So if you leagally carry dont worriy

·
Banned
98 Posts
Save yourself all the hassle, just get a CM9 Kahr and a nice front pants pocket holster, and forget about all the bs claims of needing more power and range, they are not true. Be sure to load it with CorBon's 100 gr PowRball ammo, so you have enough velocity (1300+ fps) to reliably expand the jhp in flesh.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts