Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well folks I received my CHL this past thursday, I'm going back and forward on the whole should I try to conceal my xd9 service model or up grade to a Sub-compact xd9. I'm 5'11" 230lbs I tried to conceal my xd9 with an owb holster from white hat but the grip of the gun prints pretty good, I havent purchased an iwb holster yet since Im new to this so should I buy an iwb holster n conceal my xd9 or buy a subcompact n an iwb n conceal it.

(Dont do xds lower round count is no bueno)

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Depending on how you dress. I'm substantially smaller than you and I can conceal a full size 1911. Key is a quality holster, a quality gun belt, and proper attire.

So possible? Absolutely! Easier than a sub compact? Probably not.

·
Premium Member
1,574 Posts
Before you spend good $$ on a XD9 sub-compact (or any other handgun), be sure to beg, borrow, or rent one. A friend of mine who was all pumped up to get the XDs45 abruptly changed his mind after shooting mine.....when he quickly determined he did not like it. Saved him some money and a headache for sure.

·
Registered
8,632 Posts
I personally would go with a compact/subcompact. I'm 6'0 210 and I can't conceal a full sized handgun for the life of me. In the winter with sweatshirts and button downs I can easily hide my Glock 23, but in the summer I stick with a smaller gun.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Before you spend good $$ on a XD9 sub-compact (or any other handgun), be sure to beg, borrow, or rent one. A friend of mine who was all pumped up to get the XDs45 abruptly changed his mind after shooting mine.....when he quickly determined he did not like it. Saved him some money and a headache for sure.
That would be a good idea. A smaller gun is going to be easier to conceal but you need to be able to shoot it well and have confidence in it.
When I first started to carry my XDm 9mm 4.5 I was using an OWB holster and it was not concealing well. I did some research on holsters and went with the Crossbreed Supertuck. I am 6'1" and about 210 pounds and can easily conceal my XDm even with jeans and a T-shirt and the CBST allows me to tuck in my shirt tail.
First rule is to "dress around your gun". For IWB carry this means pants one size larger than normal to allow for the gun to fit inside the waistband. Shirts likewise should be loose and not tight-fitting. A good sturdy belt is also needed.
There are many types of holsters available and what works for me may not work for you.

·
Registered
8,278 Posts
I will be that guy...IWB carry requires 3 things bear minimum to be effective; 1)Pants 1 size too large in the waist...you just can't get around it and be comfortable...2) a GOOD IWB holster...I like Galco's King Tuk and have heard enough good stuff about Alienware to go that route when I need a new one...I had a BladeTech all kydex and hated it
3) pick up a good gun belt--LEATHER is your friend...

I routinely carried a USP .40 IW before I bought my XD Sub Comp...I rarely printed because I dress around the gun...I don't care for pancake holsters or OWB carry unless I am carrying openly during Deer Season for the reasons you are describing

·
Registered
9,659 Posts
Drop leg holster and Hammer pants or full chest rig and always wear a parka. No one will know you carry.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
IWB, appendix carry is a good way to conceal. Just have to get comfortable with that type of carry.

·
Registered
8,278 Posts
IWB, appendix carry is a good way to conceal. Just have to get comfortable with that type of carry.
Unless you shoot IDPA and intend to 'Train How You Carry' (as you should) then you are S.O.L. on Appendix Carry...just sayin

·
Registered
9,903 Posts
I tend to buy my clothes around my carry choices too. I pick longer casual jackets without any kind of elastic around the waist. I also discovered an affinity for sport coats that i never had before. I never try a belt holster with a t-shirt...so summertime gun choice is limited to something that fits in a pocket holster and a duty-sized piece gets backup gun status inside the car for a few months. I've never tried a shoulder holster but I think i would feel like a douche wearing all that apparatus.

·
Registered
9,659 Posts
I tend to buy my clothes around my carry choices too. I pick longer casual jackets without any kind of elastic around the waist. I also discovered an affinity for sport coats that i never had before. I never try a belt holster with a t-shirt...so summertime gun choice is limited to something that fits in a pocket holster and a duty-sized piece gets backup gun status inside the car for a few months. I've never tried a shoulder holster but I think i would feel like a douche wearing all that apparatus.
Haha! I don't think I've have ever even seen an elastic band on a jacket except in the movies.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
IMHO, buy the firearm you have the most confidence in, the one you shoot the best, the one you brag about.
Dress around it.
If that is a 1911, you can make it work.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Unless you shoot IDPA and intend to 'Train How You Carry' (as you should) then you are S.O.L. on Appendix Carry...just sayin
Who cares, then carry like you train. You can even train for two different methods of carry, some people have that ability...just saying

·
Registered
9,659 Posts
IMHO, buy the firearm you have the most confidence in, the one you shoot the best, the one you brag about.
Dress around it.
If that is a 1911, you can make it work.
Yeah!

·
Registered
9,659 Posts
Like some leather bomber jackets have...? And Carhart...? And the kind of twill, khaki things my dad used to wear...? Never seen those?
Haven't seen a leather bomber jacket since Top Gun, I have a carhartt that comes straight down. I dunno? I guess I thought that was an 80's thing.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Haven't seen a leather bomber jacket since Top Gun, I have a carhartt that comes straight down. I dunno? I guess I thought that was an 80's thing.
I have a members only jacket and all the girls love it. It's called vintage bro. Get with the programming.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
1 - 20 of 46 Posts