Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to assault rifles and am looking for a very reliable one. One that is heavy duty and can take a beating, I will be using it for hog hunting and I want it to be a .223. Any preferences? What would you buy?

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
Assault rifle?

What is that?

6.8 SPC-II is better at dropping hogs than .223.

Check out the hunting section at 68forum for lots of testimonials and pics.
http://68forums.com/forums/forum.php

But a little bit of friendly advice, unless you're Adolph Hitler, Bill Clinton, Senator McCarthy, Senator Pelosi, or Jim/Sarah Brady, they're not called assault rifles.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
First, Your going to need your class III license to get an assault rifle.

Second, asking that question is like going to a truck forum and asking what the best brand is. It is largley opinion based.

Third, you can spend anywhere from about $700 on up to several thousands on a custom build. We are going to have to know what kind of budget your on.

Fourth, see above post. You could also look at something in .308.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ar, assault rifle, gun, Idc, I didn't join the forum to learn the politically correct name of them, I want to learn about them, and I know a 6.8 drops hogs better, but I would rather the 5.56 or .223, it's just preference.

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
If you're going to learn about them, then no better time than the present.

First lesson, AR isn't short for Assault Rifle. It's an abbreviation of Armalite Rifle. After the company that designed it back in the 50's.

Maybe I shouldn't be so sensitive about it, but having done everything in my power writing letters to Senators and fighting tooth and nail to protect the ability to own these type of scary guns for longer than some of you have even been alive, it has become second nature to do so.

But to answer your question about good brands, almost any of them more than capable of being dependable while hunting.

Off the top of my head, there are probably close to 2 dozen AR15 manufacturers. Most of them using comparable parts.

Prices for a new AR start around the $650 range and as has already been stated, can get up to about $3000 easily after optics and stuff.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Actually, "Assault Rifle" IS the politically correct (and factually incorrect) term for the AR. If it isn't fully auto or select fire, it is NOT an "Assault rifle".

PC is one thing, accurate description is another. Since accuracy is important in weapons and we are in the midst of an administration looking to curtail our rights to own, modify, use and buy and sell our ARs, accuracy is very important to most here and SHOULD BE TO ANY RIFLE OWNER.

Interesting to know about the 6.8 round but not the functional difference between an AR15 and an M16.

Now, before you ask...................................................................

;)

·
Registered
19 Posts

·
Registered
29,876 Posts
I'm new to assault rifles and am looking for a very reliable one. One that is heavy duty and can take a beating, I will be using it for hog hunting and I want it to be a .223. Any preferences? What would you buy?

See the above posts for the correction on Assault Rifle. You're in the wrong on that one, just admit it and chalk it up as a learning experience.

Second, I'd look at Bravo Company or Palmetto State Armory and get one of their uppers with the features you like. Then, buy either a complete lower or build your own (agian, with the features you like).

For complete rifles: Colt, Daniel Defense, Bravo Company, Spikes.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Hello,

Do you have a price range in mind?

The AR is a great platform and can be set up purely for hunting or can be used for multiple uses.

You'll find lots of hunters who like RRA and some that are built by companies for hunting purposes.

I have owned several brands and have put quite a few together. I tend to prefer putting one together.

I have some brands that I've run through the ringer that I can recommend for personal protection. Examples are Colt, BCM, and DD. There are other good brands these are just the ones that have been good to me.

I also have a Spikes that I've put a lot of rounds through that has been excellent and costs around $200 less than the other brands I mentioned.

I have a Spikes set up with a free float tube and a 1-4 optic and that makes it useful for hunting or 3 gun (the way I have it set up).

A free float tube and a good trigger will probably be important to you for hunting. I like the JP triggers and I also like the RRA 2 stage triggers.

Nothing wrong with other calibers, but I've put many hogs down with the 223 myself. I prefer a good bullet and a heavier bullet in 223. I like the 1 in 7 twist barrels for this reason. The 1 in 8 is also a good choice and there is nothing wrong with a 1 in 9 if it serves your purpose.

I buy mine in 5.56x45 so I can run surplus or .223. Some folks go with a true .223 chamber and others go for a Wylde chamber. I see the Wylde on barrels that are 1 in 8 that are usually SS.

The amount you want to spend and overall intended use will help others decide how to make a recommendation.

Hope that helps and feel free to ask more questions or pm if I can be of anymore help. I really enjoy ARs and shoot them a lot for hunting, sport, carbine courses, and regular range sessions for personal protection training.

·
Registered
768 Posts
You should buy the new Mossberg MMR and report back on it. Does it have M4 feed ramp? chrome lined barrel? How is the stake job? I don't have any info on these yet so I wouldn't mind a researcher doing the groundwork.

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts