Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I load a lot of 45 ACP for various uses [USPSA, Bullseye competition, SD, and plinking]. Just got my Trophy Wife an XDM9. She is shooting store bought ammo for now. Two questions. First, what is good store bought self-defense ammo for the 9 [Brand, bullet weight, etc.]? Second, what are some good reloading recipes for general target and self-defense loads for the 9? [Please, no lawyer debates about homemade SD loads vs store bought ammo].

Merry Christmas to all, and thanks for any input.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Just like with a 45 ACP you'll find alot of opinions on what to have for self defense ammo. I'm currently using "Federal LE Tactical HST 124gr +P" with my S&W M&P 9mm. Ammo2Go still has it in stock:

HOLLOW POINT Ammo : Ammunition To Go

I wouldn't hesitate to carry the non +P or 147gr versions either. THe HST series from Federal is limited to what is available that LE doesn't claim first. So you may have trouble finding it at times.

Also folks seem to like the "Federal Tactical", "Winchester Ranger Bonded", "Winchester Ranger-T" and "Speer Gold Dots". Of course these come in various gr. as well. Here's some recommendations from ARF, which are pretty much what I listed above:

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo

As for reloads, I'm sure someone with much more knowledge than myself will be along shortly.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
I like Speer 124grGD+P or Rem. 124grGS+P. I can readily reproduce them for practice & carry/use factory ammo for SD/HD.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fred, I like Gold Dots in .45. What powder and loads do you use in the 9? I do like making my own, particular since I am apt to practice more with it.

·
Registered
87 Posts
F/V
I've been using 124 Montana Gold CMJ's over 5.8 gr. of Trueblue. Last time I checked they were running 130pf out of my EAA Match. It's a clean load without smoke. This is the same bullet that I use in my Open gun but with 7.8gr of Trueblue. It is a soft shooting powder.

Art

·
Premium Member
5,354 Posts
I carry Speer Gold Dots in 124g+P. I reload with TiteGroup, either 3.8g behind a 124LRN, or 4.6g behind a 115 FMJ.

·
Premium Member
746 Posts
147 MG w/3.3 Titegroup for practice paper. A 3.6 Titegroup for real practice for practical PD. And, 147 GDHP for carry.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts