Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
This is my first post! Great forum. I have alot of experience with a 1911 in 45.ACP. and I'll be purchasing an XD-40 Tac. in the next week. I have the dies for 40SW but I'm not sure what weight or shape bullet to use...I'll be shooting ipsc and speed steal. I want to shoot major for ipsc. Also, how much difference will I experience in felt recoil with the 40.SW vs the 45. (180 grain, major of course). Thanks for the help. Man I can hardly weight to get this gun!

·
Registered
308 Posts
I load Berry's 180 gr flat point over Power Pistol in .40 S&W - - - makes 175 pf out of a PT100. The difference in felt recoil is more in the perception - - - the .40 is a "sharper" kick the .45 is "pushier" neither is uncomfortable or unmanageable.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
mullanman said:
What do you currently use for you 45 loads? we can use that as a starting point.
155gn swc with 8gn of Vv 340 PF of 179.18
180 gn rn, 7.2gn Vv340m Pf of 188.46

What can I expect if I shoot a 155gn 40.sw compared to the same weight bullet in 45.?

Mojo, I know exactly what you mean regarding the sharper and pushier dynamics in the different rounds.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I and my son both shoot a 155 hollow base fmj behind 5.3 grains of Vita vorhi N320 out of a Glock 35 with a PF of 170. Vita Vohri is super clean and loads basicaly the same as bullseye. :)

·
Registered
567 Posts
Using 165 grain Rainier HPs my loads are either:
1. 5 grains of 231 with Win small pistol primers.
2. 4.3 grains of Clays, not Universal, with the same primers.
Clays is cleaner. I use these loads in a SIG 229 and they are great for practical pistol competition.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Camper said:
Clays is cleaner. I use these loads in a SIG 229 and they are great for practical pistol competition.
Does Clays meter as well as 231??

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Camper said:
I've been using 4.3 grains of Titegroup and have been very happy with it, but... its hard to find in S. Florida. Clays is easier to get so... How does it compare to some other powders you've used, recoil, feel, etc.?

·
Registered
14 Posts
i shoot 180 zero hp 5.1 of 320 out of a glock 35 nice soft load or you can use t.g good powder a lot of guys shoot clays buy it is touchy in 40

1 - 13 of 13 Posts