Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New on the boards. New to guns. So feel free to point me in any directions you seem necessary.

Wife and I picked up a .45 XD about 3 weeks ago. Finally put a few rounds though it to loosen it up so wife could pull the slide. Other than that we are both happy with so far.

So here are some questions:

1) now that we have a gun, please make any recomendation for us as we also have 2 kids. preferably in regards to how to practice around the house and how to get the kids to interact with them (6 and 16 months)

2) recomendations on ammo

3) a good guide on cleaning

p.s. We also picked up a gun safe (this one here: Amazon.com: ADG Sports Secure Vault Electronic Top Load Pistol Safe: Sports & Outdoors) at academy for under 70 in case anybody was looking for one.

Now for the funny story: While trying to find the buttong to program the safe, my ddaughter asked, "what's that". To which i replied, "its for the guns". She then asked, "what are you doing". I said trying to program the code. She then asked, "What is the code gonna be?" :shock: :D

Have a good one,
joe

·
Registered
48 Posts
well, let me be the first to congratulate you on getting such a wonderful weapon. secondly, WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!!!! lastly, i'll let someone more qualified answer the questions. their are some really knowledgeable people on here. i use federal hydrashock as my personal protection load.

·
Premium Member
127,411 Posts
Welcome from Ohio.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Northern UT!

I have five children, ages 11 to 2. I have sat the older ones down and explained firearm safety to them and stressed that they NEVER touch a firearm unless an adult is with them. If they want to look at my firearms, they can ask me anytime and I will take them out and show them. I have also taken the children out and shot a watermelon with the 45 while they watched. We then discussed what a bullet did to the watermelon. It was a great visual lesson for them.

If the firearm is for home protection, keep the magazine loaded with any off the shelf hollow point ammo that will function in your firearm, but do not load a round in the chamber. This is so if the children manage to get into the safe, they will need to insert the mag and rack the slide. None of my children can currently do this. If you need the XD for the 'bump in the night' then you will need to insert the mag and rack the slide. It is a trade off that you will have to decide on.

As for ammo, any hollow point will do for self defense. Use ball ammo for practice as it is cheaper such as Winchester White Box or Blazer Brass.

Do a search on cleaning. It is not very hard.

And most of all, have fun!!!! I own three 45acps, and carry one almost every day.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Minnesota.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Welcome from North Dakota!

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Welcome from Indiana!

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
Congrads. I to have to stress the caution with weapons in the house, simply telling them not to touch is NOT good enough. We always tell them do not play with matches and what do they do, play with them. The weapon is either on your person or in your safe. Education is the key and the melon shot is a good start, However, NEVER trust them alone. Been there done that!
As far as cleanin, stick with the manual. You will find its extremly easy to take care of. As far as ammo, practice with what you will be carrying. Practice as often as you can and have FUN while doing it!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts