Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this a good deal?

http://www.impactguns.com/store/SS-13359.html

$908.74 (+FFL transfer). Stainless, action job, trigger work, fiberoptics, beavertail, extended mag release, and I think it has a match barrel. (I'm guessing it has all these from Springfield's Custom XD Package pricing).

OR

would it be better to buy a standard 40 Tactical and have it hard chromed, triggerwork done, and firesights put on?

If the cost is close, I think getting it tricked-out by Springfield would be a good option, because it won't void the warrantee.

·
Registered
9,959 Posts
Yea its good price....if you were to add up everything it would be comparable if not more expensive to do it your self. This way it comes race ready right out of the box and you dont have to ship the firearms several times to have all the work done to it.

·
Registered
889 Posts
I saw one of these at a local gun shop for $999.00. I just bought a XD40 Tactial,sent it to Canyon Creek for a trigger job, and instaled the Dawson adjustable sights myself for about just $800.

And ampleworks I'm no range lawer but I think that the extended frame on the custom shop guns might be ok for production because it is a factory option. But I could be wrong, and I don't have my rule book with me right now.

·
Registered
889 Posts
The one I saw from the custom shop that was built on the OD frame, and had the Dawson adjustable sights, extended mag release, and extended frame. They had one 5" gun that was the Tactical, and they had a 3" and I think they called it a Pro Carry or some thing like that. I haven't seen anything like it on their web page but did see it in their catalog.

·
Registered
889 Posts
JD
So your thinking is that even if it is kinda a factory option that it might fall in under "external devices to help reduce recoil"? Like you said it's not real definitive. The Limited & Limited-10 rules seem to be a little more clear.
I'm new to this Production thing,and this is my first season,and with the state championship this weekend and sitting in about 3rd place for the state points series ( the #1 & #2 guys are A and Master class) so I think I'll stick with Production for a while.

I don't realy care to much for the extended frame anyway.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
There's a difference between "custom shop" and "factory option". Think of them as two different places, because they are. The factory is just what it is, the custom shop is just what it is, a gun smith shop that just happens to be ran by Springfield.

The entire point of Production is a question to be asked "Can the average Joe walk into a neighborhood gun shop and pickup this gun?".

Probably anything really could be done at the custom shop given the right price. Let's use grip stippleing for an example, would you argue that its "available from the factory as that option", obviously not because you won't go to any gun store that has a gun with a stippled grip that came straight from the assembly line.

Let's go to the extreme and say you could get one of those thumb rests that minic a 1911, a magazine well (big S_I type), and 170mm magazines (say use a sleeve simiar to the subcompact has), all from the custom shop. Are those legal for Production just because they're available from the custom shop?

Much talk has been put into these S&W Custom Shop pistols that some are using. It brings a whole new meaning of "being available to the general public". Google it and you'll find more about the stink of it.

This extended beavertail falls under 21.5 as a prohibited external modification thus rule 6.2.5.1 will apply, moving the competitor to Open division.

·
Registered
401 Posts
For that price you could buy two XD40's and pop in a fiber optic sight yourself.

For a little more you could have some trigger work done on them. Hard chrome isn't necessary and I doubt the "match barrel" really makes a hell of a lot of difference.

At any rate I'd lose the beavertail.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Regardless of whether it is cheaper or not, I'd rather have Rich do my work than SA's custom shop. He not only has a much better turn-around time (days versus weeks) but his work is cleaner looking than SA's.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ampleworks said:
There's a difference between "custom shop" and "factory option". Think of them as two different places, because they are. The factory is just what it is, the custom shop is just what it is, a gun smith shop that just happens to be ran by Springfield..
But IF these are available as a "Tactical Pro" Model Gun and Springfield sells enough it should be legal for production, right? Its not like an individual "custom ordered" one off options for the gun from the Smiths at Springfield...its a cataloged production gun available for sale to the public.

Auto manufacturers in racing programs are famous for doing this. For example, they would produce a great Rally Car from thier parts bin, then produce homolgation cars in limited numbers, usually a "special edition" or souped up model of an existing car (you must have X-number of the model for public sale to race it in production). The manufacturer benefits because this would allow the factory team to have a superior racing platform in production class AND the public benifits by allow the privateer racer an excellent race car he can buy off the lot to race on the track. The auto enthusiast benefits because he gets a race car for the street, souped up exponentially by the factory with full warranty for only a couple grand more than the base model. The person driving the econo-base model benefits because the image of his ride increases because of the racing effort...stickers and huge wings usually proceed. (last part is a partial joke...but its true)!

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I don't forsee that happening, either as SA offering it as a "factory package" nor NROI approving it for Production. We're pretty lucky that we had the ones fight to keep it Production when they did because they wanted to change it due to it being deemed single action only.

There also would have to be the availiblity of 5,000 per production year also for it to be considered on the Production list. I'm not sure if SA could produce that many per year, or even if there was a demand for that many of them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts