Springfield XD Forum banner

New ST-15 AR....I hope

2K views 23 replies 14 participants last post by  John A. 
#1 · (Edited)
Well, I took the plunge at the Orlando gun show, and picked up a base ST-15. I have been reading nothing but good things about spikes, and since I'm a AR NooB, I decided to start with small, and then work up from there. They were great about making sure I had what I wanted. He even switched the Lowers for me since I didn't want engraving, but the one had a grip on it. Spike told me "don't worry about it, you can have it." But then....

I get to buy it, he runs my card, and the instant background check, and I get DECLINED????????:twisted::twisted: WTF?? He's holding it for me, and going to call them back tomorrow when they arnt getting 8 million calls from the gun show, and see if he can figure out what's going on. I just renewed my CCW in june, so I know I have no problems with my background...hell, I've never done anything to remotely disqualify me from getting it. Hell, I've bought 2 XDs this year, and had 0 problems.

need less to say, I'm a bit frustrated right now, cause I was excited to get my new toy, and wanted to get on here and post many pictures for all my friends here. All I know for sure is THIS SUCKS!:twisted:

I'll keep you up to date with any changes. It will probably be something stupid like someone with my name is a wanted criminal. I know I had that problem at the airport once, and someone with a similar name was on a no fly list. Could be the same thing.

Thanks for letting me vent a little. I needed it.

See less See more
#2 ·
I'll keep you up to date with any changes. It will probably be something stupid like someone with my name is a wanted criminal. I know I had that problem at the airport once, and someone with a similar name was on a no fly list. Could be the same thing.
Like you said that sucks, hope it all works out for you. It looks like it's time to change your name!!!!!

#3 ·
So in Florida even though you have a CCW you still have to do a background check? That really sucks. Hope it works out for you.

#4 ·
They still run the instant BG check. I would guess since our permit is good for 8 years, and you can get in trouble in that time.

#5 ·
in idaho if you have a CCW you fill out the form but they dont do the check they just put a stamp on it and the person who did it signs it.
my friends dad has his FFL so yes i 100% know what im talking about. htey still keep it on file they just dont run the check but different states different rules

#6 ·
hey just wondering did you give your SSN when you did the backround check? it says its not required but can help prevent problems like this one

#7 ·
Yes, with a name like mine, I always give my SS# to try to by-pass any problems I might have. The odd thing is that she said they didn't want my CCW# cause it was a long gun. Not sure what that has to do with it, but I hope he calls me tomorrow. He said that they got a conditional denial. To which he said there is no such thing. There is a conditional approval, but not a denial. Spike was going to call them tomorrow and try to straightin things out. He told me that I should be able to pick it up by wednesday. He was a bit suprised when the girl who called it in told him that. He seemed very confused by it, especialy since I have made recent purchases, and renewed my permit recently. Fingers crossed.

#8 ·
Like you said that sucks, hope it all works out for you. It looks like it's time to change your name!!!!!
You can say that again. When I was having trouble everytime I left the country, my wife did some research, and found out that I have the same name as an alias once used by Calos "The Jackel":shock::shock:. They don't hassle me too much, but we figure it's cause I'm not 70+ years old, which he would be if he is still alive.

If this keeps up, I might seriously have to look into changing my name.

#9 ·
good luck.
but at least post a pic of the gun you plan on getting so we can see if its worth the trouble or not :p

#10 ·
I bought a ST-15 Operator platform a few months ago. I love it! Nice reliable weapon. My buddy got one a few months before me and he reports all positive feedback. He has a 1/7 twist barrel while I have the ER Shaw 1/9 twist.
I only have a few hundred rounds through mine while I ramp up on my reloading setup for 223/556. I can't wait to take it out again and try 200yrds open sights. I am going to instal a KNS precision front sight post for something new. Should be lots of fun.

#11 ·
Yes, with a name like mine, I always give my SS# to try to by-pass any problems I might have. The odd thing is that she said they didn't want my CCW# cause it was a long gun. Not sure what that has to do with it, but I hope he calls me tomorrow. He said that they got a conditional denial. To which he said there is no such thing. There is a conditional approval, but not a denial. Spike was going to call them tomorrow and try to straightin things out. He told me that I should be able to pick it up by wednesday. He was a bit suprised when the girl who called it in told him that. He seemed very confused by it, especialy since I have made recent purchases, and renewed my permit recently. Fingers crossed.
The CWFL is irrelevant for long gun purchases. The only thing it does for purchases is let you bypass the handgun waiting period, that's it.

#12 ·
Ok, fellow AR friends. I got the call last night to go pick up my new toy. They didn't mention why I had to wait, but at long last(not that long really) I went out to apopka, and picked it up. And of course, no thread it complete without pictures!

These were just a few quick ones for you guys, I will try to get some better ones up soon.

http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/9666/dsc02398xq7.jg
I figure it's not bad for my first rifle. Still Learning how to do stuff with it, but you have to start somewhere. It was only 850 w/ the grips, so I think I got a decent deal. Spike even told me that when I want to upgrade to a quad-rail, he will install it for free. Just have to buy the rail. Great guy to work with. Let me know what you guys think.

#14 ·
Yea, I might have to get one of the 22 uppers, so I can plink with it too. But for that price I might just get one of the GSG-5's.

#18 · (Edited)
Being an FFL, maybe I can shed some light on your situation.

There are 3 different responses a dealer will get from NICS when performing a background check.

Approved
Delayed
Denied

A delay will hold the firearm for up to 3 business days for them to research the information so they can cross check everything they have on file matching whatever raised the red flag. The time could be sooner, but not more than 3 BUSINESS days not counting weekends or national holidays. *See lines 21C and 21D in the example below

After 3 days elapse the FFL can release the firearm to you unless the ATF contacts them during normal business hours and updates it with a Denied action. Then you are provided with a little brochure if you'd like on how you can appeal their decision with the ATF directly. The dealer can not provide any information to you as to why it was denied because they're not told why. All they're told is not to transfer it to you.

Your response was a delay. That can be associated with your name, and the FFL can speak with an ATF L'iason at NICS at the end of the 3 day holding period to get the approval number they need to put on the 4473 background check paper you filled out. * see block 21B and 21D

And I bet when you went to pick it up, you had to re-sign and date the paperwork you filled out again at the gunshow before he transferred it to you to document your word that you've not committed a felony in the couple of days while you were waiting. That's also standard procedure. *See block 24 and 25 below

I've seen it happen a lot especially with Jr's and Sr's whether you provide your SS# or not. Though sometimes if the applicant provides their SS# to NICS after receiving a delay response, often the L'iason will research it immediately and be able to provide a proceed or deny within about 5 minutes. But, obviously, they can refuse to recheck to allow them to do more research.

#19 · (Edited)
The CWFL is irrelevant for long gun purchases. The only thing it does for purchases is let you bypass the handgun waiting period, that's it.
It all depends on what your state laws are.

Here, anyone who has a valid CCW here dated after July 12, 2006 is exempt and although the paperwork is still filled out and signed and otherwise completed and kept on file, the NICS check is waived no matter the type of firearm. That also includes having to write the CCW permit number in the block of the form that asks for it. *Line 23

And for what it's worth, it's the same process for NFA items after the SOT recieves the stamp from the DOJ. The background papers are still filled out, but there is exemption slots on the updated forms that needs to be checkmarked for things like that.

Most of the NICS exemptions are from reciprocity laws and the state has to gain permission for the CCW exemptions with the ATF directly that pretty much state that their background check is equivelant to the Feds before they issue the state permit.

#20 ·
John A. Thanks for that info. The original transaction took place at the orlando gun show, and spike even went over to the ATF booth to try to figure out the "conditional denial". When he came back, he said that they were trying to figure it out, and indeed 3 days later they called, and said I could come get it. And yes, I did have to sign that line:D

I'm looking forward to trying to shoot it this weekend, and I will report back.

tinctorus the shop's website is Spikes Tactical Really nice bunch of people, and I have heard nothing but good things about them.

ThumperMX113 - Can't afford to get the upper right now (between new rifle, and new motorcycle:D, I'm a little tapped), but I will have to check with you to see if they have any around christmas time.

#21 ·
It all depends on what your state laws are.

Here, anyone who has a valid CCW here dated after July 12, 2006 is exempt and although the paperwork is still filled out and signed and otherwise completed and kept on file, the NICS check is waived no matter the type of firearm. That also includes having to write the CCW permit number in the block of the form that asks for it. *Line 23

And for what it's worth, it's the same process for NFA items after the SOT recieves the stamp from the DOJ. The background papers are still filled out, but there is exemption slots on the updated forms that needs to be checkmarked for things like that.

Most of the NICS exemptions are from reciprocity laws and the state has to gain permission for the CCW exemptions with the ATF directly that pretty much state that their background check is equivelant to the Feds before they issue the state permit.

So are you saying that, in KY, if you have a CCW the FFL deal doesn't call NCIS?

Where would the average person look to find out if their state (NH) is the same way? I had a delay the last time I bought a lower, but never mentioned my CCW at the time, and would like to avoid that in the future. Like you said, the dealer isn't told what the reason is, so he couldn't tell me. Everything went smoothly after the wait, and although I'd like to think that whatever issue encountered would be avoided next time, I'm all about streamlining the process. ;)

#23 ·
Back to the original purpose of this thread.....

NICE F-IN' RIFLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And now back again,
my fiance was denied for a RRA just last week and has sent in an appeal. Several people were denied in a row and I guess that just happens sometimes. She has no felonies so hopefully she will get a reply in the next week or two. Supposedly they will reply within 5 business days of receiving the appeal letter.

#24 ·
My replies in red

So are you saying that, in KY, if you have a CCW the FFL deal doesn't call NCIS?

According to the ATF's open letter they don't because the way KY does the background checks when they issue the CCW's meet or exceed the ATF's requirements as such as covered in the letter.

Where would the average person look to find out if their state (NH) is the same way? I had a delay the last time I bought a lower, but never mentioned my CCW at the time, and would like to avoid that in the future. Like you said, the dealer isn't told what the reason is, so he couldn't tell me. Everything went smoothly after the wait, and although I'd like to think that whatever issue encountered would be avoided next time, I'm all about streamlining the process. ;)

Here's a direct link to the ATF's page that has all the open letters issued to FFL's. That may help, but you could also call a local FFL or your local ATF office and ask them directly. That would probably be easier. ATF Online - Firearms: Open Letters - Federal Firearms Licensee

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.