Springfield XD Forum banner

New SP6920- Question

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Fdxpilot 
#1 ·
Just bought an SP620. Broke it down, cleaned it, and reassembled, won't have time to fire for a month or so. One question for those who've bought NIB rifles: Are brand new rifles always this tight?

I've disassembled many M16s in my day, but never had to work this hard to remove parts. I had to pull the firing pin out (as opposed to falling out, or dropping once I bumped the back of the carrier with the palm of my hand), the cam was difficult to rotate and to pull out (used to it falling out once rotated the correct direction), the bolt was extremely tight in the carrier, and the extractor pin was a real bugger to push out (and even harder to get back in).

I'm assuming it's because I never had the opportunity to break down a brand new rifle, but could use a little reassurance that they're normally this tight when new.

#2 ·
I'm not sure about THAT tight, but typically my experiences are similar.

Usually after oiling it up and cycling it a few times, it loosens up considerably.
My RRA is still pretty tight after 3 years now. The cam pin sure as hell doesn't fall out.

Upper and lower receiver fit was really really tight when mine was new. Took an absurd amount of force to pop the takedown pins and then the upper and lower still took some muscle to split.

#3 ·
Just bought an SP620. Broke it down, cleaned it, and reassembled, won't have time to fire for a month or so. One question for those who've bought NIB rifles: Are brand new rifles always this tight?

I've disassembled many M16s in my day, but never had to work this hard to remove parts. I had to pull the firing pin out (as opposed to falling out, or dropping once I bumped the back of the carrier with the palm of my hand), the cam was difficult to rotate and to pull out (used to it falling out once rotated the correct direction), the bolt was extremely tight in the carrier, and the extractor pin was a real bugger to push out (and even harder to get back in).

I'm assuming it's because I never had the opportunity to break down a brand new rifle, but could use a little reassurance that they're normally this tight when new.
Likely that none of the M16s you are acquainted with was anywhere near new. I haven't had a new Colt yet, but have had a new LMT and a Daniels. I could barely disassemble the Daniels due to the tight fit of upper and lower, and the LMT was like the Colt you described.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.