Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am anxiously waiting for my new XD40 service to be shipped in to my local gunshop. The three day cooling period is done so every day waiting is extreme torture.

This will be my first gun. I was wondering if the left-handers out there would pass along any techniques you have perfected on handling the XD. Also, how many lefties have a right dominant (master) eye?

I've already digested hours on this forum...I appreciate it.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
I use my left index finger to push the mag release and the slide release. I know the XD has a ambi mag release but I just got used to doing it this way and if feels more comfortable. Uncle Mike makes a lefty kydex holster.

·
Registered
45 Posts
o0o0o0 The anticipation of your XD. I'm a south paw as well and LOVE the the fact that the clip release is on both sides!!!

Sounds kinda funny.. but I rotate which eye I close... is that wierd? Doesn't seem to affect my group much.... heh

·
Registered
603 Posts
I hope you enjoy the XD40 service, I love mine. I'm one of those mysterious left hand / right eye dominant people you speak of... so I'll try to give you a few tips from my own experience. :wink:

First, general southpaw handling of the pistol. I never use the slide release button, I always slingshot the slide closed. What I mean is that I grip back portion of the slide with my right hand, pull it all the way back, and let go. I've heard that method recommended anyway, as it does not require fine motor skills that might not be functioning properly under a high stress situation. The ambidextrous mag release is nice... you can use either your thumb or index finger, whatever you find is faster / easier. The hardest part for me is locking the slide back. After a bit of practice, I am now able to do it quite efficiently... keeping a solid grip on the pistol with my left hand, I use my right hand to pull the slide back (as if going to slingshot), then "sweep" my left index finger up the frame of the gun. The corner of the slide release catches the flesh in my finger between my first and second knuckle, and it gives enough force to push the button up to where it will lock the slide.

As for the right eye dominant... when I first started shooting, I would just close my right eye and use my left eye. If you can avoid doing this, please do. After doing some reading here and talking to a couple friends, I found that by simply changing my stance / head angle, I can align the sights with my right eye very easily. Now I shoot with both eyes open, letting my dominant right eye do the focusing on the front sight. I found this more comfortable to shoot... I wish I had started doing this earlier.

In any case, the best advice I can give is just to experiment a little bit, and do lots of dry-fire practice at your home. Once you find a technique that feels like it will work for you, practicing it will help write it to muscle memory, and then you'll be able to do it easily. Good luck and enjoy the XD!

·
Registered
200 Posts
i hope that you emjoy your New XD-40. And Welcome to the Forum. Dont be surprise if you end up taking in another Homeless XD in the future...LoL :lol: Enjoy the madness!

·
Registered
223 Posts
agalindo said:
I use my left index finger to push the mag release and the slide release. I know the XD has a ambi mag release but I just got used to doing it this way and if feels more comfortable. Uncle Mike makes a lefty kydex holster.
+1

T

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the feedback...I will be busy getting buckled down for this monster hurrican Dennis...but keep the feedback coming.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Hey straycat, good luck during the Hurricane (I live over in Melbourne on the east coast of Florida), can you believe Hurricanes are hitting already, so early in the season?

Anyways, I'm a lefty too. You'll love the XD, the ambi-mag release gives you a choice, and I've never had a problem with shells ejecting into my face.

Here is a lefty correction chart if you can use it. Click on the image to get a bigger one.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I shoot longarms right-handed and use my right eye but I shoot pistol predominatly left handed and use my left eye. Although I write with my right hand, I use my left hand most often to type, play guitar, catch a ball and do many other of life's normal tasks. I suppose that makes me ambidextorous ? I roll the pistol and change magazines with my left hand so I release the slide with my right hand. I don't "slingshot" the slide because it can cause the round to not fully seat or the slide to not fully close.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I am a Leftie who is Right eye dominant. (legally blind in left so have no choice)
I use a modified weaver style to shoot. I use the side of my left index trigger to hit the mag release. As for slide release, it depends on the situation. I will either slingshot it or hit the release with my trigger finger.
I actually find my accuracy and stability while cross shooting is better than when shooting right hand, right eye. (who the hell knows why, maybe because I am naturally focused on the sight alignment and target without having my other eye trying to interfere.)

Anyways welcome to the forums and enjoy your new tool.
[/img]

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
MattG...When I first handled the XD I almost caught my finger in the 'breech?' so I will have to practice what you call the slingshot.

Arni...thanks for the leftie correction guide.

Verm...I read that the proper way to hold the pistol is to run straight down the forearm inline with the pistol. Your foto gives me the impression that your wrist is off line. Maybe it's just your point to the camera?

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
I'm also lefty and right dominant. I discovered this with the help of a dept. instructor. Since then, I have always closed my left eye and it is now instintive after 29yrs. I use my left index finger to release the slide and hold the grip in my right hand and the slide in my left to lock the slide back.

Arnisandyz, when I clicked on the picture it was too large for the screen. I don't if anyone else had that problem, but do you have any idea how I can reduce it? I have it seen the right handed one but not this one and I'm interested to do so. Thanks.

WARHEAD'Z you are what they call cross handed, not ambidextrous. Ambi means you can do tasks equally well with each hand. I'm cross handed to an extent, but not to the extent you are.

Welcome to the forum straycat and have fun with your new XD.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm a right handed person who is left eye dominant. I grew up shooting left handed, though. Now I naturally default to my left hand for pistol, rifle and shotgun use. My left-handed shooting style was one of the major reasons I purchased an XD. This is one of the few handguns I found which didn't make left-handed use cumbersome. I use my left index finger to manipulate the slide release. Other than that there isn't much to it. If you have a FTF/FTE (which I rarely encounter with the XD) clearing the case is convenient due to the natural tendancy to rotate the gun clockwise, thus the port will be facing down. As for carrying, I primarily use a Don Hume IWB (ordered from Gunner's Alley ... they'll most likely have to have it made at the factory and shipped from there, but I still got it quickly) for my sub 40. I recently bought a tactical .40 and I ordered a Don Hume OWB leather holster from Gunner's Alley (again they had to special order it from the factory and I'm waiting from it now.) I also have a SmartCarry holster for left-handed draw which works well for my sub. I carry in suit pants without any noticable print and I'm very thin.

By the way, I'm new to this forum so hello to everyone.

·
Registered
813 Posts
straycat999 said:
Verm...I read that the proper way to hold the pistol is to run straight down the forearm inline with the pistol. Your foto gives me the impression that your wrist is off line. Maybe it's just your point to the camera?
Nope, that's how I hold and shoot it. Because I have to use my opposite eye, my wrist is actually bent about 15-20 degrees out and then down since I use a modified weaver stance. If it's a close quarters situation, then I pull in even tighter and the angle is even greater. I had to compensate for the loss of vision in my left eye. Don't ask me how but I even shoot the .50/.44 mags with a bent wrist and no problems.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Left handed, left eyed, left footed....I am the REAL thing (lefty that is) and have zero problems with my XD. I too use my left index finger to depress the magazine release button. Just a habit I picked up years ago when I got my first 1911. By the way, I have the Canyon Creek extended safety installed (purchased from Pistol Gear). My gunsmith who is very critical of most after-market accessories, has high praise for it so it must be good. Other than Canyon Creek, he is the only one I let touch my XD - a former armorer with a large metropolitan police department.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I am very similar to WARHEAD'Z. I shoot pistols lefty w/ left eye, I shoot rifles and shotguns right handed, right eye. I write with my right hand, and throw with my left. I can perform most tasks with either hand, I just use what is natural for me. Oh, and I bat right handed...

I used to use the center of my left middle finger on the slide release, but now I have gotten used to the XD, so I use my thumb. My trigger finger operates the slide lock, and when I lock the slide open with no mag I draw the slide back with my right hand and pull up on the lever with my right thumb.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts