Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for new sights for my xDm 4.5. I currently use this xDm for personal protection and shoot USPSA Production class with it. I am looking at the Trijiocon HDs and the TFX Pro sights. I'm hoping to find sights that are best of both worlds until I get a dedicated match gun which I will run FO sights on.

I have heard that the Trijicon HDs and the TFX Pro are not that good for targets farther than a couple of yards. I hope either one of these are worth the $150. I am planning on purchasing these from xdman and having him install them

Any personal experience on these two sights will be much appreciated.

·
Registered
9,839 Posts
While I don't personally have experience with either of the sights mentioned (my M still has factory 3-dot), take a look down below at the Similar Threads tarpit. Sights have been discussed dozens, probably hundreds, of times. There might be some helpful information floating around in the archives.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
While I don't personally have experience with either of the sights mentioned (my M still has factory 3-dot), take a look down below at the Similar Threads tarpit. Sights have been discussed dozens, probably hundreds, of times. There might be some helpful information floating around in the archives.
I've read through a lot of threads. The TFX Pros are new.

·
Registered
7,277 Posts
I have heard that the Trijicon HDs and the TFX Pro are not that good for targets farther than a couple of yards.
I can't say for the TFX, but I've seen good shooters with Glock 19s and similarly sized guns completely hollow-out 2-inch circles at 7 yards with the HDs - without any shots outside of that.

I've also seen good shooters consistently and on-demand ring FBI-Q sized steel, at 100 yards, with tiny little Glock 26s and the like, using the HDs.

And no, none of these are me, so I'm not bragging. :)

Typically, people who say that X or Y sights "can't do" actually can't do, themselves - either because they fundamentally lack the skills necessary, or otherwise have a true interface issue with the sights (i.e. that those sights just don't work, for whatever reason, with that particular shooter).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can't say for the TFX, but I've seen good shooters with Glock 19s and similarly sized guns completely hollow-out 2-inch circles at 7 yards with the HDs - without any shots outside of that.

I've also seen good shooters consistently and on-demand ring FBI-Q sized steel, at 100 yards, with tiny little Glock 26s and the like, using the HDs.

And no, none of these are me, so I'm not bragging. :)

Typically, people who say that X or Y sights "can't do" actually can't do, themselves - either because they fundamentally lack the skills necessary, or otherwise have a true interface issue with the sights (i.e. that those sights just don't work, for whatever reason, with that particular shooter).
This is what I was thinking. I have looked at the specs of both sites and the HDs have a thinner front sight and a wider rear sight than the TFX.

·
Registered
7,277 Posts
^ FOR ME (so this is a BIG disclaimer ;)), I like a thin front and a considerably wider rear because it helps me focus on that front (kinda like a "gip" without needing a gip - my eyesight is pretty bad, uncorrected, so even corrected, it's still often hard to pick up smaller details - to wit: I choose to use a 4 MOA dot for my carbine), as well as allow me to see the target better at-distance, or really refine to a smaller target close-in.

Closer-in, it's also very fast.

But there's a bit of compromise in terms of the BSA template in-between. At the 25, for-instance, I actually hold easier with, say, factory OE Glock sights than I do with my usual setup (Front: 0.100 wide x 0.205 tall Dawson 021-019 fiber-optic, paired with the matched Rear: .125 notch DP Charger fixed rear, serrated, 018178). "Too much light" gives me a bit too much uncertainty.

The HDs are pretty well set up for most shooters. As my eyesight has started to decline, I'm thinking about making the jump over to the HDs.

But again, I have no experience with the TFXs.

·
Registered
485 Posts
The thing I find odd about sights and my eyes is that I have swapped out a good many high dollar sights that are recommended for target shooting or competition on different target guns I own to find what works best for me over the years with not much difference between them. Obviously some are better then others but none that had that wow factor. Then on several CCW pistols I added a set of TrueGlo TFO sights not expecting any improvement in my groups. I go to the range with said CCW pistols and discover that my groups tighten up at further distances with the TFO's. The sights also are very easy to pick up when bringing the gun up on target. All this and I really don't care much for night sights. I no longer have those guns and the TFO's went with them. Now I'm thinking about sights for my XDm 3.8 pistols to replace the factory sights and even though I don't want night sights I cant stop thinking about the TFO as an option.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I wish they offered the TFO as just a front sight. I am considering getting an all black Dawson rear sight to replace the TFO rear sight on my XDm. I find the yellow rear dots make the green front dot hard to acquire rapidly. I do love how easy they are to see in the dark though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts