Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
22,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what are some good sights for the 1911.. i have a GI and those low profile military sights are hard to use... especially at night!!!

any recommendations?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I really like the low-mount Novak night sights on my Loaded model. Good sight picture, easy to see in low light, and is the USMC standard. Hard to beat

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
Two fairly cheap ways to go are...

Call Springfield and order a set of Mil-Spec 3-dot sights. They run about 15 bucks and fit right on the GI slide with no mods at all. This is the cheapest/easiest way to much better sights. For 15 bucks and 30 minutes at the gunsmith...you're in business.

Second...get a set of Kings Hardball sights for about 30-40 bucks. These are made to fit the tenon and dovetail on Springfield slides (that differ from Colt and others) and again....mount with no problems.

King's Gun Works - 1-800-282-9449

Other than that, yes, you can go for Novaks, Wilsons or some fancy night sights that run about 100-150 bucks and require light to medium smithing to mount up.

Your choice...I went with the Mil Specs on my stainless GI and they're fine for my needs.

- brickboy240

·
Super Moderator
22,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Brickboy for the advice.. will be looking into it..
did you have a hard time with the standard sights on the 1911 GI

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
Actually...no. The small sights don't bother me, because I look at the GI as a combat pistol and not a target gun. But...since it was so cheap to upgrade the sights...yeah...I got a set from Springfield and my gunsmith put them on while I waited and they fit just fine.

Check out the sights on the Mil-Specs...thats what you can get from Springfield. I just called their main number and asked and they took my info, paid the small amount and the sights showed up in about 4 days. Springfield has GREAT customer service.

Sometimes, when you go adding aftermarket things to pistols, you can run into problems, but I figured that since these were made to go on the same slides and were from the same maker...it was an easy switch and very inexpensive. Why pay more for standard 3 dot sights?

Call Springfield...they'll fix you up and give you the right parts.

- brickboy240

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Two fairly cheap ways to go are...

Call Springfield and order a set of Mil-Spec 3-dot sights. They run about 15 bucks and fit right on the GI slide with no mods at all. This is the cheapest/easiest way to much better sights. For 15 bucks and 30 minutes at the gunsmith...you're in business.

Second...get a set of Kings Hardball sights for about 30-40 bucks. These are made to fit the tenon and dovetail on Springfield slides (that differ from Colt and others) and again....mount with no problems.

King's Gun Works - 1-800-282-9449

Other than that, yes, you can go for Novaks, Wilsons or some fancy night sights that run about 100-150 bucks and require light to medium smithing to mount up.

Your choice...I went with the Mil Specs on my stainless GI and they're fine for my needs.

- brickboy240
thanks for the info, I may have to give SA a call in the morning.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
No problemmo!

This is the least expensive way to upgrade the GI's sights. There ARE better sights...but these are as good as any stock 3 dot sights that come on any 1911.

The GI is a simple 1911...its better to keep it that way with simple but useable sights like the Mil-Specs. If one wanted Novaks or Bo-Mars...they probably should have saved their money and bought a higher grade 1911 to stick them on.

Placing 150-200 dollar sights on a GI seems a bit much. Buy the inexpensive Mil-Spec sights and spend the difference on a good holster and spare mags.

- brickboy240

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
The SA sights aren't bad but if you want night sights, I like the Novak as well. My own SA wears them.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
I had a buddy mill out my slide for a standard dovetail front sight. I used a Chip McCormick dovetail front sight and a Yost Bonitz classic rear sight. They give a really great sight picture while retaining the classic lines of the gun - they pair well with the spur hammer and standard grip safety.

·
Registered
725 Posts
I have a rock island 1911, with the GI Sights (No milled grove) From what I understand, the Springfield GI's use a different front sight width then the 1911A1 clones?

And also, there is a special tool required to install them?

Does anyone know what options I have for upgraded sights?

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
On the Rock Island...you need to find out the tenen width for the front and the dovetail dimensions for the rear. I'd try to contact RIA's importer in Nevada..or...post a question on the RIA forum on M1911.org's forum.

Yes, you need a front sight stake to properly stake a 1911 front sight.

- Brickboy240

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Yes, you need a front sight stake to properly stake a 1911 front sight.

- Brickboy240
Yeah, I tried restaking my front sight a couple times without a staker - definitely difficult to do. If you happen to have a gunsmith or machinist close, I would highly recommend looking into getting it dovetailed. It shouldn't cost much, won't require a reparkerization and is a permanent solution. Even a properly staked front sight will tend to shoot loose eventually. If you carry/holster it, that won't help at all.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
Kings Gun Works in Glendale, CA probably knows the tenon widths on Colt, Springer and Rock Island 1911s. You might want to call them and ask...they're nice and very helpful people that make a nice set of 1911 fixed sights that won't break the bank.

- Brickboy240

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
I have a rock island 1911, with the GI Sights (No milled grove) From what I understand, the Springfield GI's use a different front sight width then the 1911A1 clones?

And also, there is a special tool required to install them?

Does anyone know what options I have for upgraded sights?
From what I understand from just asking about sights for the RIA GI myself the RIA use a Colt 70's series cut so if you find sights that are ment to fit the series 70's gi sights cut they should work on the RIA GI.. I personally was pointed towards and will probobly purchase these
Sight SET , Fiber optic 70 Series/Mil Spec RED

1 - 16 of 16 Posts