Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone, (xd9 4")
my stock sights arent cutting it anymore.
i carry my xd and train with it every weekend and its next to me as i sleep at night.
so i need a night sight probably...

if anyone can suggest a sight for me that can fit my need that would be awesome.
id prefer to leave the rear sight alone. il afix my eyes on the front anyways and the rear stock sight is very nice for one handed charging off the belt.
also the front sight i was hoping to find one that is pointy/precise.
i like the styer m40 pistol sights and i see they make those for the xd but they are look like toy r s sights on a water gun.

is it possible to jus buy the front XS small dot sight? or do you always have to buy the front and rear together ?

anyone grind/cut the stock front sight to be more of a ^ or sharper? as its a blunt square.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have a set of XS 24/7 sights on a S&W pistol. I know from their ads there are single front sights for some revolvers. I'm not sure how a single front sight will work with standard rear sights.

May I suggest you visit their web sight and then ask their customer service folks.
XS Sight Systems - Home

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
that you for the link sir, il check them out and ask them.
i googled didnt find anyone that modded they front sight to a point or anything other then the red tfo rod thingy.

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts
I have a set of XS 24/7 sights on a S&W pistol. I know from their ads there are single front sights for some revolvers. I'm not sure how a single front sight will work with standard rear sights.

May I suggest you visit their web sight and then ask their customer service folks.
XS Sight Systems - Home
I know you can buy just the XS big or standard dot front sight.
But pioneer makes a good point, the rear XS sight may not be the same height as your stock sight.
Being how they are made, I would think the XS are taller, but I could be wrong.

Depending on your pistol and/or caliber the XD uses the same sight as either a #6 or #8 Sig sight.
If you are referring to an XDm I'm not sure if the below applies, I've never owned one.

Sig sights have a number stamped on them, I sold all my XDs so I don't know if they are stamped or not.
There is a #8 on the front sight, but you can't see it in this pic.

Ameriglo sells front sights, but you would need to know your sight height.

AmeriGlo Weapon Sights | Front Sights

The one on the bottom has the red outline, I put a set of these on my G19.

Also many others can sell you a front sight.

TGS is out of #8 but has #6 in stock.

Sig Sauer Meprolight Night Sights | SIGARMS Night Sights

Dawson Precision also makes one, you would just need to measure your front sight..

DP Tritium Inserted Front Sights for Springfield Armory XD/XDm Perfect Impact® Sights Detail Page

If anything, contact James at xd-hs2000
If it doesn't show on his website, he can probably get you whatever you need.
Mail him your slide and he will install it for you, with a quick turnaround.

As far as leaving your rear stock sight with a front night sight, I say do it.
Although I didn't use the stock rear, my EMP is set up like that.
10-8 rear with a SACS custom made front night sight.
I like the sight picture..

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
wow thanx. that is alot of good info :D
the DP instertd front sight seems like the one for me.

do you see any problem with grinding down th top corners of the post down?

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts
wow thanx. the DP instertd front sight seems like the one for me.

do you see any problem with grinding down th top corners of the post down?
Why would you do that?
The sight is blued, grinding off the corners, will expose the metal.
Not only would that look hideous, but leave it susceptible to rusting.
Also the more abuse one does to a tritium sight (grinding on it or improper installation) the more likely you are to damaging the vial inside.

You shouldn't have any issues with holsters or drawing if that is your concern.

I strongly recommend
contacting (PM, email, phone call) James from xd-hs2000
He is very knowledgeable about handgun sights.
It is what he does for a living..
He is also a sponsor of XDtalk.

Phone # (205) 966-8142

Email: [email protected]

PM http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/members/ajamesp51-1513.html

He does have a Trijicon front sight and will probably install it for free.

Sights - xd-hs2000

Trijicon Front sight - xd-hs2000

If you have looked around the forum, stock XD sights are a BITCH to remove.
Many a gunsmith have botched up slides and new sights trying to install them.
The smith that put Meprolights on my XD9sc broke his sight pusher trying to remove the stock sights.
After that he then charged $30 for sight installation, but $50 for XD sight installation.

James does excellent work.
He also has this awesome page of individual sight reviews.

Sight Profiles

Just tell him 1lowlife sent ya..;)

Good Luck..1LL

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanx, i emailed him.
trimming the sharp edges on the top so theres more view of the target.
i will be duracoating my xd again soon so it would take care of any raw surface.
like you said though with the heat and grinding i would hate to ruin the inside part.

il practice grinding more on the stock sight since those are only $7

sumthing to this effect
$xdfront1b.jpg

·
Registered
261 Posts
So what you are looking for is a narrow front sight post so that there is more target visible (light) on each side of the front sight when viewed through the rear sight, correct? There are sights made narrower for that purpose. The reason the Styer M40 front sight is an inverted V is due to it's rear sight being shaped so it fits in it's appropriate aperture. They go together; no reason to use an inverted V front if the rear sight you are using is standard, that would be creating a very unnatural sight picture and probably wouldn't improve your shooting very much.

You could order the appropriate sized Trijicon front sight to go with the standard XD rear and POA/POI wouldn't change. Then you would have a tritium front sight and standard white dot rear. Plenty of people set up their firearms with night sights in the front and standard dots in the rear.

You could also use a Truglo TFO front sight, which use fiber optics during daylight and tritium for low light/darkness. A fiber optic sight will glow during daylight where a tritium vial will only be visible in darker environments. My Sig P229 has a TFO front and tritium rear. I like this setup due to the front sight is always apparent over the rear and your visual attention is drawn forward to the front sight.

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
umm... first, like LL1 said send it to James, he'll do it right and XDs are sometimes a huge pain even for pros who haven't done XD sights before.

Second, a pointy precise front nightsight only? A precise shot is going to come down to front sight vs rear sight, not because one of them is pointy.
I sure hope you are wanting the pointy part for day shooting because a precise shot in a night time situ isn't going to happen regardless of any possible sight combination.
All my nightsights are Meprolites.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts