Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my AR with the detach carry handle and have some stupid questions. I have looked at some of the pictures as far as firing postions and holding the rifle but am having some problems..

When I am standing and holding the rifle as I would be if I were shooting I cant even see through the rear sight. It is like it is way to low for where my eye is. I raised it up and I can barely see through the rear sight but it feels like my head is ackward and when looking throught the rear sight I can only see front sight base not the part I should be. God I feel like such an idiot..

What do I need to do? What am I doing wrong?

As you can probably tell I have not shot any sort of long gun, and I am definitely going to look into some actual training I just need some help to get me through a couple range trips. Also, any other shooting tips you may think useful I will take.

I really appreciate all help

·
Premium Member
2,690 Posts
Your cheek rests on the buttstock, so your head is almost flat to allow your shooting eye to be paralell with the sights. When I'm shooting (I shoot right handed) the left side of the charging handle is straight out from my nose. So, if I inched up close the charging handle would smack me right on the tip of my nose. This guy has it down perfectly. http://people.bu.edu/wwildman/ben/military/images/M16Zero.jpg

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oh ok..thanks that pic helps put it in perspective..so does raising that rear sight elevation effect the impact of the bullet or is that simply for the operator??

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
oh ok..thanks that pic helps put it in perspective..so does raising that rear sight elevation effect the impact of the bullet or is that simply for the operator??
it raise the impact of the bullet your sight picture should always be the same each and every time.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am pretty sure I know what the problem is..I believe it is that I shoot right handed but my left eye is dominant? I dont know if I am sayin that right. I put something over my left eye and tried it out and being forced to look through my right it looks pretty much like I think it should, when I dont have anything over my left eye I cant see throught the rear sight. Does this sound like it? If so, can I do anything to correct this??

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I am pretty sure I know what the problem is..I believe it is that I shoot right handed but my left eye is dominant? I dont know if I am sayin that right. I put something over my left eye and tried it out and being forced to look through my right it looks pretty much like I think it should, when I dont have anything over my left eye I cant see throught the rear sight. Does this sound like it? If so, can I do anything to correct this??
Learn to shoot left shouldered it not hard to get used too I practice shooting. Other left and right handed makes a world of difference in hitting your target while shooting from concealment

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Yes, this is exactly your problem. I've got it, too. I either shoot left handed or with something over my eye like a pair of glasses that have the left lense blacked out.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, this is exactly your problem. I've got it, too. I either shoot left handed or with something over my eye like a pair of glasses that have the left lense blacked out.
dam..so this is it then?? I was hoping it was something else that i was doing wrong that i could correct. Is there any way i can train my right eye to be the dominant one with some exercises or somethin? I could try and shoot left but i just got me new AR in and it is a righty. Thanks again

1 - 10 of 10 Posts