Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. I'm a new shooter with only about 300 rounds experience. I have a XD9 that I bought about a month ago. I'd like to get into USPSA/IDPA type competition, but have been practing basic marksmanship to get the basics covered. Here is my first ~100 rounds through the gun.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

As you can tell, I was shooting very much low left. Distance with 25'. I read up on different grips, stance, dry firing, etc, and gave it another go today. I used the thumb forward combat grip which I like. One issue I have is that I am right handed/left eye dominant, so I was shooting left eye open and was having the same low left placement. I tried some with my right eye open and was having better groups. Below are the targets from today. Each is 9 rounds (snap cap in each mag). Might be hard to read but left to right is

15' left eye, 15' right eye, 30' right eye
10' right eye, 15' left eye, 15' right eye
15' right eye

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

As I said earlier, I hid 1 snap cap in each 10 round mag. I noticeably dipped the gun when firing the snap cap. When I practice dry firing, I get hardly any movement, but today I know I dipped the muzzle. I guess I am anticipating recoil? I am trying to let the bang surprise me. My shot is fire, keep the trigger in until I am close to my sight picture, then release till the click, get my sight picture, then slowly squeeze. Is this correct follow through? How can I eliminate the muzzle dip? Is it something that all new shooters go through?

Thanks for any help!

·
Premium Member
32,784 Posts
Jerking the trigger and maybe canting the pistol left, those would cause your low left grouping.

·
Registered
4,290 Posts
Search here, shooting low left

You will see it is common until you get more time behind the trigger, use your finger pad, and pull smooth and straight back. Lots of info on the site. Welcome to the site.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts