Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm a new XD 9mm Subby owner! It's my first semi auto and I'm really enjoying the pistol. I've bought it for SD, but I do like to take it out to plink. I've been hovering on the form for a few weeks now and have found a ton of tips and new ideas. There are not many pistol shooters at my Rod and Gun Club here in Vermont ( mostly shotgun and rifles ) and I have a few questions. My last pistol experience was in the Army back in the early 70's shooting the 1911 .45 acps.

(I've been using the WWB 115 grain on the range)

questions:

1). With the 9mm sub, what range should I be "sighting" in at? I've been shooting at 7 and 10 meters and at what range should I be able to reasonably "reach out and touch a target"? This is a SD weapon but I would like to become proficient in shooting it also.

2) I've been working on my hold and triggering (<- right term ?). At 10 meters standing I get a nice grouping ( 3 inches ). But, I am consistantly shooting left about 3 inches. I know I'm pulling some with my trigger finger and am working on controling that. My question is at what point do I consider moving the sites? I've put 300 rounds through, and with each session my groups are getting tighter but not moving to the right.

3) I think I saw on the LEO forum a member mention of large Subsonic rounds being used for SD because he said they were less likely to be bashing through the walls in side a building. Is this true? I've set aside a mag of CorBon 124gr(?) +P for SD. Good choice? (note: I did put a box thru to check the compatibility with the 9mm and it was Good :) ).

Thanks and looking forward to hearing your suggestions.

Cheers,

DSH

P.S. Saving my penny's now for a Service .40 !!!

·
Registered
9,135 Posts
You may want to try this site for some of your questions. http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/ayoob85.html

If you do a search here on the forum, you will find a target that lets you know what to correct to shoot properly. ie, if your shooting low and to the left (ha) then try xyz .

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Try this. Posted by OEFM a while back. It's a correction chart. Print it out and take it to the range. Let someone else shoot you gun, someone who is a known good shot and see if e or she has the same problem.

http://www.hs2000talk.com/viewtopic.php?t=15629&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=correction+chart

Usualy heavier bullets will plow through things easier than light bullets. I would think the 147gr subsonics would have better penitration than a light fast bullet that will loose momentum faster and might get deflected.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
if the sights look centered on the slide, then its your shooting that is making you shoot to the left (generaly from slapping the trigger).

very, very, very rarely does factory sights need adjusting.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just from my own experience, the next time you are at the range fire off a few rounds and then do a dry fire. I was also shooting to the left and after reading some posts on this forum about flinching I decided to give it a shot. I was amazed. Although I didn't think I had a flinch, sure enough when I dry fired it I was "pushing" the gun to the left. After dry firing about ten times I reloaded and got my next 5 shots right on target. I then started to stray to the left again. Now, when I go to the range, I will run through ten rounds (all that my magazine is allowed to hold here in California) and then dry fire ten. Also, practice dry firing at home for 10 minutes or so a day if you can. You can find several posts on this forum in regards to flinching and dry firing.

I'm not saying that flinching is your problem but it is an easy thing to try out and/or eliminate as a possible problem.

Rick

·
Registered
122 Posts
Where's your left hand (if shooting right handed) on the grip? Do you use a low left hand grip? This can cause you to push the bottom of the grip to the right giving you a tendency to shoot left of target.
The sights should be fine unless you dropped the gun.
CorBon is a good choice for self defense but it doesn't mean the round will not penetrate the threat.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
First of all everyone thanks for the help! This forum is a great resource.

I checked the links posted and they are very usefull! Evreything I had read up to now was saying not to have a tight grip. tec great link thx.

agalindo I printed out the chart and it's in my range bag!

Sounds like the Corbon are the right choice. Good.

I'm working on the dry firing at home. I definitely think it's the way I'm pulling the trigger. I'll try the 10 rds and then a dry fire round this week at the range. Sounds like a good excersise. Thanks Rick.

Friends were telling me to bump the site, but I didn't think that was addressing the real problem :wink: . Good to see I was on the right path. <S> therooster

Palmetto: My left hand is on the bottom with my forefinger touching the bottom of the trigger guard. Thumb is pointed the direction of the barrel. I'll do more checking at the range to see if I'm pushing the bottom of the mag. I would have never of considered this. thx!

Cheers all and thx again!

David

1 - 7 of 7 Posts