Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do scope rings matter, just upgraded my glass to a Nikon 3-9X40 before i have it mounted should pick up some better rings or is there little to gain from doing this?

If anyone is looking for new glass Dicks and some others have these on sale for $99.99.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I would say, yes, mounts and rings matter quite a bit. Without knowing what your current setup is, it'd be only a guess if your current rings are up to the task.

As far as using rings from one scope to another, I've done it with no negative results.

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
Do scope rings matter, just upgraded my glass to a Nikon 3-9X40 before i have it mounted should pick up some better rings or is there little to gain from doing this?

If anyone is looking for new glass Dicks and some others have these on sale for $99.99.
Depends on the rings you have. Cheap rings sometimes warp, break, allow the scope to slip, or don't align well putting stress on the scope. If your current set have worked well for you then there is probably no need to replace them.

·
Registered
256 Posts
i always use new rings with a new scope better to do it now then to find out you should have later

·
Registered
4,435 Posts

If you have quality rings they will work fine on the new scope.

don

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I use Leupold QRW rings. They are quality and won't break the bank and I use them on my Nikon scope. Though, I prefer to use 30mm rings on 1" scopes and buy the bushing/insert kits to use them this way. This reduces a lot of stress or warping rings might cause on your scope if they are not concentric. Some places will perform lapping on your rings to make sure they are perfectly concentric and aligned and don't cause bends or strees points on your scope. You can even buy kits to do it yourself if you want.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
You may want to check into lapping your rings too. Only the top of the line rings are made as a matched set. When you tighten down rings that are not matched or lapped, your not going to get 100% contact on the scope tube. This leads to less grip on the scope and it will leave ring marks on the scope when you take it off. Cheap rings are definately going to grip less and be more out of align.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts