Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought my first Springfield XD 9mm, about three weeks ago, I LOVE IT. Ive shot about 1000 rounds so far and no jammin with cheap 115 g
fmj . Well I bought some 147g hollow points and tried them out today at the local range and after I shot the first round it jammed. WTF? a few more and another jam. What the hell? Switched back to the cheap range rounds and it never jammed again. I must of shot 250 cheap rounds and 10 hollow points, jamming only happened with the hollow points. Any one els shooting with a SA xd 9 have this problem? I will change hollow point ammo next time and see if it was just the brand, I hope it is just the brand, BTW the cheap ammo is called BLAZER. and the other is a brand called, HORNADY. https://www.hornady.com/shop/
http://www.wholesalehunter.com/product/cci/ccides/cciblazer.htm

Thanks guys, love the XD forum :D

·
Registered
137 Posts
I don't know about the 9mm in the XD, but my Tarus .45 would jam on near all hollow points except Corbon's and Winny Subsonics. The XD9 seems to like a lot of rounds, have you checked you mags.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Make sure you clean the barrel and chamber. Fouling can form fit to the 1,000 round ammo you've been shooting, and cause problems with the new ammo your trying. If this doesn't work, try another brand of ammo. This problem isn't new to semi-auto pistols. All the gun wizards state to test fire a given round to make sure it's 100% reliable in your weapon before using it for self defense. My XD 9 sub had a heck of a time with 124gr lead round nose over published loads of W231 powder. I stove piped numerous rounds. I changed powders and everything is fine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
JD McDorce said:
robertmykayla7 said:
Well I bought some 147g hollow points and tried them out today at the local range and after I shot the first round it jammed.
Could you be a little more descriptive regarding what type of "jam" you are experiencing? Examples include: failure to feed (fresh round does not go all of the way into the chamber), failure to extract (case remains in the chamber after firing - extractor doesn't pull it out), failure to eject, etc.

I took a box of Hornady Custom 147 gr JHP/XTP to the range this morning and nothing unusual happened with 10 rounds each through my Service or Tactical. Were you shooting Custom's (normal brass case) or TAP's (black nickel coated case)?

Normal brass case.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
dogjaw said:
Make sure you clean the barrel and chamber. Fouling can form fit to the 1,000 round ammo you've been shooting, and cause problems with the new ammo your trying. If this doesn't work, try another brand of ammo. This problem isn't new to semi-auto pistols. All the gun wizards state to test fire a given round to make sure it's 100% reliable in your weapon before using it for self defense. My XD 9 sub had a heck of a time with 124gr lead round nose over published loads of W231 powder. I stove piped numerous rounds. I changed powders and everything is fine.

Yea im a freak when it comes to cleaning my weapon. Thanks for the advice, I never thought about what your saying about fouling can form fit to the basic ammo I have used. thax

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have a XD-9 Tactical that I just received. It shot fine with Blazer 115's, W-W 147 JHP's, 147 FMJ's reloads. No problems at all. When you clean the weapon, don't forget to clean the slide (primarily the extractor area & breechface) and the magazines.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ampleworks said:
Telling us something more than "jam" can be helpful.

With the heavier recoil of the 147s, slight possiblity that you could be limt wristing?

Case would eject half way, and jam. and wtf is limt wristing?

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Then its an extraction issue. Perhaps the extractor isn't getting a good hold on it, cases are swelling in the chamber, or you're limp wristing.

Try a different brand of hollow point and see if that fixes it. Given you can fire 1,000 rounds of whitebox without issues, I'm doubtful its the extractor.

·
Registered
30 Posts
9mm 147gr have the lowest recoil impulse of all 9mm rounds. They are subsonic and were designed originally for surpressed military submachine guns. They then became the darlings of the law enforcement community after the 1986 Miami FBI shootout.
If you have stiff springs and a loose grip on the gun the recoil impulse will not be enough to cycle the slide fully. Its called "short stroking". You need to keep a very tight grip on the gun. Some manuf. load up the velocity a little to overcome this. Past say the 950fps floor.
You still need to check it in your individual guns though. Me, I stick with 115(standard & +P), 124(standard & +P).
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
18 Posts
i bought some PMC ammo - it needed a good crimping - assuming you have a relaoding setup -

also, i have an XD 40 - loved Federal round but it like a certain OAL just under 1.135 - not sure on a 9mm. keep her clean and maintain good isometric pressure on the grip - your gun need something to lean against to cycle correctly.

my 2 cents

·
Registered
18 Posts
also - try some different ammo in that puppy - never know - like i said earlier - PMC does not crimp well. i buy it for cheap ass brass but i have to crimp it to shoot it first.

find an ammo your gun likes and shoot it up.

·
Registered
6,551 Posts
I have an XD-9 subbie and feed it "Winchester 147gr JHP ammo for personal protection" from Wal-Mart. No FTF or FTE issues with that brand for me.

I have also shot plenty of WWB 115gr FMJ through it, also without issues. CCI Blazer Brass 115gr went thru fine, too. The only FTE problem I ever had was with Remington 115gr UMC, but it was due to a mangled casing, not the gun.

I'd definitely try changing the brand of HP you're using. Each XD is hand made, and will be a little different than others, especially with what kind of ammo it eats or doesn't eat. Test different brands and see what works best for you and your gun.

I'm assuming you're not limp-wristing it since you can shoot 1000 rounds just fine.

good luck, and safe shooting.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts