Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just wanted to let everone know I just picked up my first AR 15. The reason for this post is to let everyone know about the quality of this rifle. I had read a lot about the various brands and was all set to buy the Colt sp6920, that is until I looked at it. I was not impressed. Looking between the upper and lower I could see daylight shining thru, and the fit was loose. The trigger did not feel all that smooth or light. Not knocking Colt, but for all the great recommendations about this rifle, I was expecting more.
Next I looked at the RRA Entry. Comes with a Houge grip, liked that. 2 stage trigger felt better. M4 receiver check, Lower to upper fit was tight as a drum. The only thing I was leery about was the BCG and gas key staking. So, I had the salesman remove the BCG. To my surprise, the gas key was properly stacked and the finish was very smooth. I've heard a lot of people state that RRA doesn't stake the gas key properly and that is a concern for some, may even prevent them from buying a certain brand, but at least my rifle was done right.
Took it to the range Sunday, 2 of my first 3 shots hit a 2" orange sticker at 50 yards with iron sights, not bad for a 58 year old with bad eyes.
Overall I am very happy with my purchase and saved myself a couple hundred dollars in the process.
I think this will be a fine range and general purpose gun, not planning to go to war with it.
If you're planning to buy a new AR, it pays to do a little research and know what you're looking at and for, and don't believe everything you read on the internet.
Happy shooting.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Congrats on your RRA Milo! I actually just got one myself about 2 weeks ago! My local shop has a great selection of AR's and I told the clerk what I was looking for. He showed me a DPMS, a Colt and an RRA. I too, fell in love with this rifle. The fit between receivers was tight, keys were properly staked, had the hogue grip and two stage trigger. The kicker for me was the chrome lined barrel! I took it out last weekend and will again this weekend! I have read many reviews on RRA, read everything I could on AR's and have decided that we have both purchased an outstanding rifle for our needs and wants. Mine has brought back so many fun army memories from basic training also! Enjoy your rifle, I know I will!

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
I love my RRA. Shoots 1.5++moa with winchester 55gr reloads, and under 1moa with Hornady!

Lets see some pics of those new AR's!

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I think you pretty much summed it up, milo.

I bought my first AR a year and a half ago, a RRA Entry Tactical, and my observations parallel yours. I'm very happy with it. It serves me well as a range gun and occasional coyote eradicator.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I think RRA is one of the most under rated brands in the running... Don't like that a few things aren't milspec? Upgrade them later, at least you have a tighter built and more accurate rifle to begin with. Chances of breakages are already pretty minimal with the quality of parts they use, regardless what some armchair commandos would have you believe.

Had mine for 3 years now, and I've never had the first issue with it... Cleaned it for the first time since buying it about a month ago. Round count was already getting pretty up there. If you don't like the staking, redo it yourself, it's not rocket science to use a punch and a hammer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts