Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Well you guys are going to laugh at this but I bought a newrifle because I had a free scope from Burris (Full Field II 6.5-20x)that I wasnot using. I also had a .308 reloading set up with brass, primers etc but nogun. So I saw this Remington 700 SPS in the Black Dog gun shop in Soldotna witha 20 inch barrel. It was love at first sight.

My long range plan for this rifle is to upgrade the scope toa Nightforce 3.5-15 NSX later, then get a good stock that takes M14 magspreferably, then down the road have a smith true the action and replace thebarrel. (Not till its shot out) (Anyadvice on which scope options, stock and smith is appreciated)

I used an EGW mount with a 20 moa cant to it and some 30 mm rings a buddy gaveme and some spacers from Larue to allow you to use a 1 inch scope in 30 mmrings. I got the scope mounted and thenI loaded 50 rounds with the following loads.

1. 42 grains of RE15 (Sierra manual accuracy load)

2. 42 grains of H335

3. 42 grains of Varget (friends load herecommended)

4. 42 grains of N140 ( I have a lot of this powderon hand)

When I got to the range I started the zero process at 25yards. I did not bother to bore sight. I just put up a blank cardboard USPSAtarget with a 2.5 inch post it note in the middle of it. 3 shots later it wascentered at 25. Then I moved to 100 yards and 6 shots later it was zeroed atthat range. The first load I zeroed withwas the H335 load. I had to bottom the scope adjustment out and this load wasstill shooting .635 above the point of aim. I plan to upgrade the scope aroundtax return time so I can live with the POA difference for now. After grouping the H335 load I was starting toget disappointed as the groups were nothing to write home about (average of1.02) but things got better.

The RE15 load was next and it averaged .81. Not bad but Iwanted better

The Varget load averaged .734 better and I could have livedwith this but then I got really happy.

The N140 load proved to be the best of the bunch with anaverage of .55 for 5 5shot groups fired. Below are photos of the targets I shotwith the chrono data attached as well. Iplan to experiment by moving up and down from 42 grains of N140 to see if itcan get even better.

[/SIZE][/FONT][URL="http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g299/355sigfan/Remington%20700%20Targets/H335.jpg%5b/IMG"][U][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g299/355sigfan/Remington%20700%20Targets/H335.jpg[/IMG[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/U][/URL][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3] [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][IMG][/SIZE][/FONT][URL="http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g299/355sigfan/Remington%20700%20Targets/RE15Load.jpg%5b/IMG"][U][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g299/355sigfan/Remington%20700%20Targets/RE15Load.jpg[/IMG[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/U][/URL][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][IMG][/SIZE][/FONT][URL="http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g299/355sigfan/Remington%20700%20Targets/Vargetload.jpg%5b/IMG"][U][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g299/355sigfan/Remington%20700%20Targets/Vargetload.jpg[/IMG[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/U][/URL][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][IMG][/SIZE][/FONT][URL="http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g299/355sigfan/Remington%20700%20Targets/N140load.jpg%5b/IMG"][U][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g299/355sigfan/Remington%20700%20Targets/N140load.jpg[/IMG[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/U][/URL][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][IMG][/SIZE][/FONT][URL="http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g299/355sigfan/Remington%20700%20Targets/Ballisticsilvertips.jpg%5b/IMG"][U][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g299/355sigfan/Remington%20700%20Targets/Ballisticsilvertips.jpg[/IMG[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/U][/URL][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]][/SIZE][/FONT]
[SIZE=3][FONT=Calibri]It was a great relaxing day at the range. It started out alittle rainy but ended up with the sun showing through. [/FONT][/SIZE]

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
Congrats! Can't go wrong with a 700. Unfortunately, your links don't seem to be working at this time.

·
Registered
224 Posts
i got one of these on layaway right now and ive been looking for a stock to put it in that will accept m1a mags as well. does anyone know of such a beast?

·
Banned
38 Posts
It sounds to me that you are going to have a whole new gun when you are finished. That is a a waste of time. by the time you get done doing all that bullshit, you could have bought a custom match grade rifle.

But to answer your question about the stock, your existing stock can, which looks to be a Hogue, can be milled out and the action modded to accept magazines.

get a clue

·
Registered
725 Posts
A farmer was lamenting the loss of his axe. "Best axe I ever owned. Only replaced the head twice and the handle five times".

Be nice, now, you have to start somewhere, and he's shooting now, so that's not too bad. Excellent rifle, excellent caliber.

·
Registered
532 Posts
It sounds to me that you are going to have a whole new gun when you are finished. That is a a waste of time. by the time you get done doing all that bullshit, you could have bought a custom match grade rifle.

But to answer your question about the stock, your existing stock can, which looks to be a Hogue, can be milled out and the action modded to accept magazines.

get a clue
So the synthetic stock shipped from the factory on 700 SPS is a Hogue stock?

By the way, please show more respect for others on here, or just read.

·
Registered
224 Posts

get a clue
Its called a project, some people like to build hotrods not just go out and pay someone to do it for you. But anyway sorry that offends you and thanks for the help.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Yes it comes from the factory with a hogue over mold stock on it

·
Registered
532 Posts
Thanks. I actually didn't realize or notice the tactical had a different stock than the vanilla SPS. Always learning.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts

get a clue
Dude you need to RELAX. Best bet for someone like you, is to just delete your forum account here. We don't need someone being rude for no reason what so ever. Go troll somewhere else please.

·
Registered
372 Posts

get a clue
Project rifles are a lot more fun then buying one decked out. It gives the user the freedom of choice of what he can put on it. Who are you to take away that choice from him, eh?

·
Registered
107 Posts
sweet ......

After I acquire a few more handguns I plan on moving on to a rifle ( or 2 or ............ ) for even more fun and learning .

Was thinking a Rem. 700 or maybe a SA M1A , since I love my XD .

Keep posting as u make mods .

·
Registered
224 Posts
sweet ......

After I acquire a few more handguns I plan on moving on to a rifle ( or 2 or ............ ) for even more fun and learning .

Was thinking a Rem. 700 or maybe a SA M1A , since I love my XD .

Keep posting as u make mods .
I love my m1a, I was about to drop it into a sage chassis before I saw that sweet remington 700 that I had to have lol. So now the m1a gets to sit on the back burner a little longer

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
Quote from Original Poster:
My long range plan for this rifle is to upgrade the scope toa Nightforce 3.5-15 NSX later, then get a good stock that takes M14 magspreferably, then down the road have a smith true the action and replace thebarrel. (Not till its shot out) (Anyadvice on which scope options, stock and smith is appreciated)

I used an EGW mount with a 20 moa cant to it and some 30 mm rings a buddy gaveme and some spacers from Larue to allow you to use a 1 inch scope in 30 mmrings. I got the scope mounted and thenI loaded 50 rounds with the following loads.

1. 42 grains of RE15 (Sierra manual accuracy load)

2. 42 grains of H335

3. 42 grains of Varget (friends load herecommended)

4. 42 grains of N140 ( I have a lot of this powderon hand)

When I got to the range I started the zero process at 25yards. I did not bother to bore sight. I just put up a blank cardboard USPSAtarget with a 2.5 inch post it note in the middle of it. 3 shots later it wascentered at 25. Then I moved to 100 yards and 6 shots later it was zeroed atthat range. The first load I zeroed withwas the H335 load. I had to bottom the scope adjustment out and this load wasstill shooting .635 above the point of aim. I plan to upgrade the scope aroundtax return time so I can live with the POA difference for now. After grouping the H335 load I was starting toget disappointed as the groups were nothing to write home about (average of1.02) but things got better.

The RE15 load was next and it averaged .81. Not bad but Iwanted better

The Varget load averaged .734 better and I could have livedwith this but then I got really happy.

The N140 load proved to be the best of the bunch with anaverage of .55 for 5 5shot groups fired. Below are photos of the targets I shotwith the chrono data attached as well. Iplan to experiment by moving up and down from 42 grains of N140 to see if itcan get even better.
ME:
Why change anything? You are shooting better groups @ .55 in than 99 out of 100 people can shoot. Hitting the target .635 above point of aim @ 100 is actually lower than where you should be hitting with that scope. I am guessing here but a 200 yard zero (which you should be using) would hit a 100 yd target at about 1 1/2 inch high of point of aim at 100 yards. So with the 200 yard zero (you should be using) would impact the 100 yard target 1 1/2 inches high and then be dead on @ 200 yards. So you need to raise the 100 yard impact to the 1 1/2 inch impact.
To sum this up, you have a perfect setup, why try to improve on perfection?????:confused:

·
Premium Member
4,949 Posts

get a clue
Well hell. I guess I just wasted my time buying one of these Rem700 SPS Tactical project guns since I am going to ditch the stock and have already put a new Timney trigger in it.

Like stated already, it is a lot of fun to see how well this or that does and then customize as you go. Sure I'd love to call up such and such and say "build me a $2,000 rifle" and have it sent to me in 8 weeks. But most people can't afford that, it is easier to modify and change as you can afford to.

And what is this "get a clue" crap? Show a little respect for people here. I see that you are new here so you haven't been around long enough to know that Alaskapopo has a good amount of firearms experience. So I guess perhaps you should get a clue.

Now, back to the thread. I am glad to see pretty good accuracy with just the stock rifle. I got one of these a few months ago and other than getting a scope, base, and rings, I have not taken it out to see what it can do. I do plan on getting another stock as funds allow and will also reload for it, but until then it will get shot with the factory stock.

I look forward to hearing and seeing more results from you for this rifle.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts