Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, just bought a brand new Remington 700 ADL Varmint. Its chambered in .308 and I would like to modify it using the M24 sniper rifle as a model. I need help finding some ideas from my friends here at this forum. I am new to rifles like this, and want to get into long range shooting. Hand me an XDm (or any pistol) or an M4 and I know what I'm doing. I am entirely new to this. I know I need to change the stock and the scope, I just don't know what to. It has the X-Mark Pro trigger system. Here are some pics. Please help me out guys. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
ok, just to gain a better understanding - have you shot the rifle? At what distances and conditions and how did you do?

I have a Remington 700P in .308 Win.

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
If I were you I'd shoot it as is until you know you can shoot it accuratly at whatever ranges you want to shoot it at. Then I'd build it.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, I just picked up the rifle today. I don't see a reason that I wouldn't be able to shoot at long ranges (as much as 500 yards, maybe even up to 1000 once I get experienced enough). I have 20/15 vision, and good hand control (in school to be a surgeon).

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
No, I just picked up the rifle today. I don't see a reason that I wouldn't be able to shoot at long ranges (as much as 500 yards, maybe even up to 1000 once I get experienced enough). I have 20/15 vision, and good hand control (in school to be a surgeon).
I've taken my 700 to 1018 yards once and shoot at 500 every couple of months. It took a lot of rounds, and thousands of dry fires after learning the fundamentals, to be able to "accurately" shoot at 500.

If I were you I'd shoot it as is until you know you can shoot it accuratly at whatever ranges you want to shoot it at. Then I'd build it.
Amen! Not sure how you define "long range" but without the fundamentals, anything over 400-500 yards will not be fun especially when the wind comes into play. I'd also think about the M24 mods you want to make. Unless you just want the look, aside from the $3k optic, it's going to cost a pretty penny to make it shoot like the M-24. Out of the box, most rifles are more accurate than the shooter.

Congrats on the rifle.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've taken my 700 to 1018 yards once and shoot at 500 every couple of months. It took a lot of rounds, and thousands of dry fires after learning the fundamentals, to be able to "accurately" shoot at 500.

Amen! Not sure how you define "long range" but without the fundamentals, anything over 400-500 yards will not be fun especially when the wind comes into play. I'd also think about the M24 mods you want to make. Unless you just want the look, aside from the $3k optic, it's going to cost a pretty penny to make it shoot like the M-24. Out of the box, most rifles are more accurate than the shooter.

Congrats on the rifle.
Thank you! I appreciate the info. I really do want to upgrade the stock and get a decent optic. My goal is to hit 1000 yds.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Welp! Just bought a Remington BDL Floorplate assembly to convert ADL to BDL, and a H-S Precision Stock, the same one used in the M24. :cool:

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
With the heavy 26" barrel, I think this will turn into a very nice rifle with a fully adjustable trigger. Once I get a new scope the rifle will be complete.... Taking it out for practice tomorrow. Gonna shoot some trees, rofl. I just want to get used to the trigger. Maybe run like 20 rounds through it because its on the old stock. I will probably run way more through the M4 though. :twisted:

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
I did the same as you... Remington .308 Varmint, adjusted trigger, leatherwood rail, Nikon Mildot, Burris Tac rings, HS precision stock, Harris bipod with Phoenix tac pod claws.

Its SUPER accurate but HEAVY as heavy gets. Remember that ther Varmint probably has a 1:10 twist which is made for shooting the lighter spectrum of bullets. I load mine with 125 grain TNT's.

Last 2 shots were after scope adjustment to bring it up a tad. This is a 10 shot group!

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
I did the same as you... Remington .308 Varmint, adjusted trigger, leatherwood rail, Nikon Mildot, Burris Tac rings, HS precision stock, Harris bipod with Phoenix tac pod claws.

Its SUPER accurate but HEAVY as heavy gets. Remember that ther Varmint probably has a 1:10 twist which is made for shooting the lighter spectrum of bullets. I load mine with 125 grain TNT's.

Last 2 shots were after scope adjustment to bring it up a tad. This is a 10 shot group!
Very nice shooter. How far can you accurately shoot with 125s?

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
Very nice shooter. How far can you accurately shoot with 125s?
Should do 400 pretty easily but I only have access to 100 yards for a target range. I built it to shoot coyotes on clear-cuts.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, HS-Precision PST-012 stock and Remington BDL assembly arrives tomorrow. Ordered EGW 20moa one piece scope base, Harris Engineering 1A2-L 9-13" bipod, and Eagle Rifle Stock Pack. Think I've decided on a Vortex Viper PST 6-24x 50mm scope as seen here, Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 Rifle scopes FREE S&H PST-624S1-M, PST-624S1-A. Vortex Viper PST Riflescopes, Vortex Riflescopes.. Will post pics after stock, BDL assembly and bipod are put on. Those should be installed by Friday evening. Have to decide on a sling, and rifle case...

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
people are probably tired of me posting this, but here is my rifle:

This group is from only the second time I'd shot it...

So my recomendations are:
One piece 20 MOA scope base from EGW
Badger Ordnance Rings
Pheonix Tactical Bi-pod with Pod Claws
Scope: Whatever you feel with with "tactical" style turrets with positive clicks and a Mil-Dot reticle

Also get yourself a good rear ba and data book.

If your looking for instruction; check out the hometown forum for your respective state on www.ar15.com . I know there are people on mine that host classes, and I also have a buddy that teaches them.

And have fun!

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Pics...:cool:

I LOVE THIS RIFLE!!!! HS-Precision is the way to go for a stock!!! Harris bipod is awesome, and I am very happy with a BDL now. It almost seems like a crime to keep the scope on there but I am trying to be budget conscious and not spend too much in the summer. :-( I am still waiting for the EGW 20moa one-piece base, and Eagle rifle stock pack. Both should be here next week. I'm kicking around the idea of spending $99 and getting the Vortex Crossfire 6-24x50 until I can get the Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 late August/early September when we get back into season...

·
Registered
1,215 Posts

The SPS Varmint has a 1-12 twist. A 1-10 twist would be used to stabilize heavier rounds.

OP, good start. Upgrade that glass though. Get the best glass you can afford.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
The SPS Varmint has a 1-12 twist. A 1-10 twist would be used to stabilize heavier rounds.

OP, good start. Upgrade that glass though. Get the best glass you can afford.
Yup, I was thinking backwards for some reason, thanks for pointing out my error.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts