Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I thought I would post up my results of testing some new reloads for my XD9.

I used Rainier 124gr FP 9mm seated to a COL of 1.080 ontop of Unique powder. I started with 4.0 gr, then 4.2gr, and then 4.5 gr. Each of the 3 tested loads had 10 rounds fired at a range of 15 yards. Shooting was done at a fairly fast pace.

This is a picture of the target which was set up at 15 yards.

The center target was 10 rounds of Winchester White Box 115 gr 9mm. Large terrible spread.

Starting with 4.0 gr of Unique the groups tightened up but I had one FTE in
my 10 rounds batch and the brass just barely dribbled out of the gun so I know the powder charge was too little. 10 rounds fired, 9 landed on paper.

Moving on to 4.2gr of Unique the pattern opened up again and shifted to the left but the gun ran a little smoother and casings flew a little farther.

Then I did 4.5 gr of Unique and had great results. The hole in the center of the target (shoot-n-see part) is actually 3 rounds. The difference between this grouping and the WWB is just incredible.

This last corner was another 12 rounds of WWB, terrible accuracy. 12 Shot, 11 hit.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Work upto 5gr & see if things don't get better. With Raniers & other thin plated bullets, watch your crimp. Over crimping can really mess up your groups. I run 5-5.1gr for just under 1200fps. On good days they'll stay under 2" from my G17 or BHP.

·
Premium Member
746 Posts
I assume that those were shot "off hand", if so, they are not a valid for any kind of analysis except your skills for shooting and picture taking.
Think about it; If you could duplicate those same results, day after day, then it would be valid, otherwise, it is not.
I apologize if my assumption is incorrect. I just can not accept that the ammo would give that kind of variation from 15 yards.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I commend you on a great example of responsible reloading, starting small and working the rounds up. Good job;-)

·
Registered
84 Posts
+1 one on the responsible reloading and on Edubya's comments. Try shooting those same rounds off a sandbag and I'll bet you'll be very satisfied with the results.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
+1 one on the responsible reloading and on Edubya's comments. Try shooting those same rounds off a sandbag and I'll bet you'll be very satisfied with the results.
Bench shooting is the best way to test but a good shooter can see variations in loads shooting offhand. If you can consitantly shoot sub 2" groups @ 15yds, then you can test ammo offhand, although a bench will give more uniform results.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Bench shooting is the best way to test but a good shooter can see variations in loads shooting offhand. If you can consitantly shoot sub 2" groups @ 15yds, then you can test ammo offhand, although a bench will give more uniform results.
+1

·
Premium Member
746 Posts
Okay, you're right. By the way, how many shots in those two inch groups? How many two inch groups did you see in his multi-target sample did we see?

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I agree using a bench to shoot would have been a much better way of doing it, but at the time I didn't have that luxury available to me. One thing I would like to point out however, is that the difference between the WWB center target and the top right corner is clearly noticeable and never have my targets been that different in grouping, I mean it literally cut the grouping in half. I will say that it was about 9 degrees out and I wasn't wearing gloves so my shooting ability was probably hindered by numb hands in which case another test is probably warranted.

I am trying 5gr of Unique in my next test. Thanks for the advice.

·
Premium Member
746 Posts
Hang in there ShruggerXD, it wasn't all that long ago that I was in the same situation. Keep us informed of your progress. Progress is what we are all seeking.
P.S. I wouldn't have had my tired ol' pansy butt out there at 9 degrees, that's why I'm down here in NC. It was mid 50's today and forecasted for mid 60's tomorrow. I'll head south when it gets into the low teens.:mrgreen:

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Okay, you're right. By the way, how many shots in those two inch groups? How many two inch groups did you see in his multi-target sample did we see?
FWIW, I shoot 5rd groups for ammo testing. If it's windy, I shoot off the bench, if it's calm, I shoot offhand. If I am looking for nth degree of accuracy, I always shoot off the bench. If I am looking to see a rough idea of how a load will shoot, like doing load workups, then offhand works fine. I can always go back & test for best accuracy off the bench.

·
Registered
905 Posts
FWIW, I shoot 5rd groups for ammo testing. If it's windy, I shoot off the bench, if it's calm, I shoot offhand. If I am looking for nth degree of accuracy, I always shoot off the bench. If I am looking to see a rough idea of how a load will shoot, like doing load workups, then offhand works fine. I can always go back & test for best accuracy off the bench.
+1
shooting-reloading-shooting-reloading= good fun:mrgreen:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts