Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new (50 total rounds shot max) Range Officer in 9mm has an intermittent problem with the slide not locking back after the last round. It does this with both OEM magazines included in the SA Range Officer box. I looked at the problem closer and found that if the magazine follower is very slightly pushed to the rear of the magazine about 1mm-2mm or so the front of the follower lifts up slightly. In this position the follower does not engage the slide stop and even rides over the slide stop. When the magazine follower is completely forward in the magazine, it always properly engages the slide stop. Manually when cycling the slide it always engages properly, but when shooting ammo the magazine follower intermittently can slightly move back and not engage the slide stop on the last round. I called SA customer service and they said they will send out a replacement slide stop. Maybe it is slightly out of tolerance. It is a MIM part. Has anyone else on XD Talk seen this problem with a SA Range Officer in 9mm or .45 ACP? I don't have another brand of 1911 9mm magazine to try yet.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
My slide stop on my RO was not polished adequately and was hard to insert, it was also undersized, which affected accuracy. SA repaired this and some other minor issues and the pistol has been 100% since then.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
I got one last December and with several hundred rounds fired- it has performed without problems. I'm going to take a close look at the slide stop next time I have it out.

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
From the 1st cousin of the RO 1911, my Springfield Loaded also had problems locking back, on many new magazines. I polished up and it still had problems. I changed the slide lock and the problem vanished. The new slide lock doesn't perfectly match the finish of the original, but I don't care. If you go that route, remember that a slide lock for a 9mm 1911 is different from that of a 45 acp. Your choice, send it back to SA or experiment around on your dime.

The slide lock I used was a Wilson Combat from Midway, $33 bucks:
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/29..._-Service_Emails-_-ShippingConf-_-ProductLink

·
Registered
5,635 Posts
Wait...they have drop in slide stops?

Some say there are no drop in parts and everything needs at least minor fitting. I've never had to do anything to a Wilson drop in hammer/strut/pin. I'm sure I'd get better performance if they were fitted but my guns aren't that nice and I'm not convinced I'd see a difference from my skill level.

·
Registered
18,867 Posts
A 9mm 1911 is on my want list, with the RO being a possibility. Hopefully SA takes good care of you.

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
I had a nearly identical issue with a Colt XSE Lightweight Commander. I was still rather new to the platform and didn't fully understand all the inner workings of JMB's sacred design, and thought the problem was the magazine followers. I swapped out followers, tried different magazines, and the problem still persisted. The problem was the slide stop. If it's just slightly undercut, the shelf of the follower won't reliably engage it.

I'm the kinda guy that would rather fix a minor issue myself rather than be without one of my firearms. Though most 1911 parts aren't "drop-in," some are more drop-in than others. A new slide stop will run you $25-30 with shipping, and if it needs any fitting it will be very minor. If you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself or just don't want to bother with it, SA customer service will take good care of you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts