Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After the last time I went to the range, I cleaned it as usual. I was looking at it today, put a mag in and press the release and ... nothing. Pressed harder, damn, used the other hand, finally released. Put in the Xtended mag and it was slightly easier to release, but still took WAY too much effort. Put the standard mag in and it seems to be stuck. I can't figure this out. The gun is clean and I use RemOil with Teflon to keep the oil from gumming up. Also, I really have to SHOVE the mags in to get them to seat. It wasn't this way when I first got it. Got any suggestions?

Edit:
After some more testing, if the regular mag is empty it releases fine and inserts fine into the well. The Xtended mag still sticks abit. If the slide is racked back and locked, it loads and releases fine. When it is closed, when 5 or more rounds are loaded in the mag, it gets REALLY hard to release the mag.

·
Registered
46 Posts
It could be pressure from the magazine spring pushing the rounds up agaist the bottom of the slide that makes it hard to seat the magazine when the slide is closed. However,this would not make them difficult to eject with the slide pulled to the rear.

Or, you could be experiencing the same thing that happened with some of my mags. Once loaded, some of them seemed to swell in the middle, and became very difficult to insert or eject. I measured the width of the swelled ones with calipers and compared them to an unused magazine, and found that they had indeed expanded. To remedy, I laid them on a flat surface and lightly tapped them with a hammer and they "sprung" back to shape.

·
Registered
889 Posts
I think NMshooter is about right, but I don't think I would use a hammer on them. What I have done before is use a vice and squeeze gently, just a little and try them again, and keep doing that until they drop out when you push the mag release.
It's just that hitting them with a hammer, even lightly could put dents in the sides that you will never get out. When you use a vice you put them in the long way , and that will apply presure evenly down both sides of the mag without denting it.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i'll see if i can get my hands on a vise. and give it a shot.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I'd recommend using a caliper to check top, center and bottom width, loaded and unloaded, to obtain baseline measurements and then perform a slight vice squeeze and record results. Of course all your magazines should be permanently marked, so you know which one may be more troublesome than the others. I number mine with a vibrating etcher, near the base.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts