Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings from Tucson, AZ. I am "buckstopshere" and I just bought a XD-9 yesterday to add to my small collection (other gun is Kimber TLE/RL II .45 ACP).

I purchased the sub-compact XD-9 for two reasons, home defense (so wife can use it) and conceal carry. However I do not know which holster is appropriate. As you can imagine, I will not be wearing much more than shorts and T-shirt for almost 6-7 months out of the year, so I need something that can really conceal the gun and can be worn without belt. I'd like the gun brought in tight to my body and I prefer the small of the back. Any suggestions?

Anyone have the sub-compact XD-9 that would like to provide me some feedback? Look forward to being a part of this forum. Thanks 8) .

Buckstopshere

·
Registered
607 Posts
Welcome to the family. :mrgreen:

There are several holster threads on the accessories forum. I have a 9mm SC but no holster for it yet. I think you can get one that will fit both the SC and Service model. That's what I'm looking for.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Dean Speir of The Gun Zone warns against carrying at the small of the back, due to the potential of suffering a paraplegiac injury to the spine in certain conditions. The article sounded somewhat "over-the-top," but I've always found Dean's writing to be respectable and generally trustworthy.

http://www.thegunzone.com/sob_is_bad.html

The idea is that a person carrying at the small of the back could potentially be knocked backward and having a great degree of force exerted upon the firearm at that location could cause spinal damage. It was a very eye-opening article for me.

-James

·
Registered
347 Posts
Small of back carry is preferred by a large percentage of people who don't carry yet....

It's dangerous, (A big lump of metal over your spine? Does anyone think that sounds like a good idea?) it's slow, and it's almost impossible to maintain control over the weapon. It's very easy for someone to bump you in the back, any time you get out of your car you have to reach back and check to make sure your cover garment is in place (as opposed to a visual check), and it's very uncomfortable to spend any time sitting in a car or conventional chair.

Those are some downsides, off the top of my head. Is there any upside? I can't think of any way that SOB carry is better than normal 3-4 o'clock carry.

And Buckstopshere, I don't mean to sound like I'm picking on you. I went through that stage too, till I actually tried it. Like I said, it's very common.

·
Registered
67 Posts
orc4hire said:
Small of back carry is preferred by a large percentage of people who don't carry yet....

It's dangerous, (A big lump of metal over your spine? Does anyone think that sounds like a good idea?) it's slow, and it's almost impossible to maintain control over the weapon. It's very easy for someone to bump you in the back, any time you get out of your car you have to reach back and check to make sure your cover garment is in place (as opposed to a visual check), and it's very uncomfortable to spend any time sitting in a car or conventional chair.

Those are some downsides, off the top of my head. Is there any upside? I can't think of any way that SOB carry is better than normal 3-4 o'clock carry.

And Buckstopshere, I don't mean to sound like I'm picking on you. I went through that stage too, till I actually tried it. Like I said, it's very common.
That all makes sense to me..

·
Registered
381 Posts
If you're looking for a good holster, try www.rigrate.com and plug in your requirements. It's very effective. I bought an inexpensive DeSantis tuck this to determine exactly where and how I wanted to carry (it's VERY adjustable). I'm still experimenting with various positions to determine exactly how I want to carry. Right now, I'm trying crossdraw at about 3 o'clock (southpaw). It's working for now. But I'm about to switch to strong side for a few months.

On another note, I own the SubCompact also. Do yourself a favor, pick up some Pearce Grip Extensions for your mags, you won't be dissapointed.

·
Registered
157 Posts
gunnersalley has some good ones they offer several manufacturers...i got one from fist iwb fist #1...check it out...and i fell in love with my sub good pistola

·
Registered
116 Posts
you mentioned that you want something that does not require a belt. That would bring me to suggest a smart-carry system. They are not small of back, but meet your other requirements.

www.smartcarry.com

1 - 8 of 8 Posts