Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, My Flame suit is on, Tactical vest on! I am ready! Here we go-

I just picked up a old/NIB SA 45LE. Nice pistol, not as nice as my G37 GEN4 or G38, But wait till I add all the new springs etc. from PRP and Springer Precision. Consider this my SA-45LE project pistol for competition as a DUTY pistol for any LE agency looking into the XD and .45 GAP. Please spare me naysayers. Fact remains, .45 GAP is starting to catch on. Don't bore ass me with all the Internet hype and lore. I have tested the .45 GAP and consulted with all the listed State Police agencies. I am here to try and help Springfield compete with the .45 GAP LE market. I would like to see if I can get her up to the same trigger pull, reset etc. as the Glocks. I really want to give the XD a chance in this realm. I think the XD is a good looking, reliable firearm. I have High hopes. Help me out guys. What mods do you recommend? Ammo is plentiful.

Major agencies with the GAP;
NYSP
PSP
SCHP
GHP
FHP
Sanford PD
East Hempfield PD
Cumberland, PA PD
ETC.

Try it before you Knock it.

·
Registered
29,596 Posts
Haven't shot he XD45LE, but played for a bit with a G37.

Guess I'd rather have a 1911; better trigger, better platform, and only two rounds lower capacity than the G37; one round less than the XD.

And if I want a polymer .45...I'd much rather have a G21.

The last time I checked, Glock was pretty much giving away their .45GAP pistols to agencies to boost their cred.

Oh--one more thing--HS/SA no longer makes the XD45LE; they still list the model because they kinda got stuck with a lot of them...

·
Banned
1,790 Posts
Haven't shot he XD45LE, but played for a bit with a G37.

Guess I'd rather have a 1911; better trigger, better platform, and only two rounds lower capacity than the G37; one round less than the XD.

And if I want a polymer .45...I'd much rather have a G21.

The last time I checked, Glock was pretty much giving away their .45GAP pistols to agencies to boost their cred.

Oh--one more thing--HS/SA no longer makes the XD45LE; they still list the model because they kinda got stuck with a lot of them...

Glock pretty much gives away any caliber of their guns to LEO.

The OP is correct. I have shot my G37 for 3 years now and ammo is getting cheaper, there are more load types around than just 3 years ago. In its short history it is right now issued to as many state or highway patrols as the ACP is. That is nowhere near a failure. I live just down the road from the Sanford PD and they love the GAP Glocks.

Only on the web do you hear of it being extinct or dying. Then again the unreality web is a reality of its own.

The G37 is my EDC, even though its been a 116F heat index the past few days. It stays in the electronic safe next to the bed. Its good to see it catching on more and more......

·
Registered
9,947 Posts
I liked both of my XD45gaps, I bought all the brass I could find so even if no factory ammo becomes available I am still set for years.

The fact is that people with smaller hands can shoot the Gap better than an ACP pistol due to the smaller frame. You dont loose anything with the Gap you push the same bullet at the same velocitys.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
. I have High hopes. Help me out guys. What mods do you recommend? .

Powder river precision ultimate trigger kit. If you have the extra $ get the polished striker. If you have the ability to polish, do the sear & striker contact area. Check inside the striker channel to see if it's all smooth. Polish the striker.

I have the older basic kit and use the stock springs. The feel of the polishing really makes a huge difference.

To be clear, the above kits don't work if your XD has the mechanical thumb safety. I don't think yours does, but ...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Powder river precision ultimate trigger kit. If you have the extra $ get the polished striker. If you have the ability to polish, do the sear & striker contact area. Check inside the striker channel to see if it's all smooth. Polish the striker.

I have the older basic kit and use the stock springs. The feel of the polishing really makes a huge difference.

To be clear, the above kits don't work if your XD has the mechanical thumb safety. I don't think yours does, but ...
Thanks for the info.!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok forum members- Finally shot her today. Had good groups at 7 and 15 yards. Then a storm came and had to leave the range. I concentrated on head shots. keep them in on a B27. I liked the grip (even though I will add grip tape or have some stippling done). Recoil and follow up shots weren't bad. I felt comfortable with her and want to like her. I really was not liking the reset on her(too used to Glock reset). I think i could have done much better if the trigger was a little lighter, less mushy and better reset. I am still torn on whether to send her to SA and have a warranty paper trail/claim if there is a problem or send her to Springer Precision. Remember Now, SA will not do a full trigger job on a carry pistol. Plus several have posted dissatisfaction with SA work. I would like to get the slide IonBonded also, which SA does not offer. But they do offer BlackT. I am not sure which way to go. I would appreciate any suggestions.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
I liked both of my XD45gaps, I bought all the brass I could find so even if no factory ammo becomes available I am still set for years.

The fact is that people with smaller hands can shoot the Gap better than an ACP pistol due to the smaller frame. You dont loose anything with the Gap you push the same bullet at the same velocitys.
Maybe so, but I have large hands. When gripping the XDm my trigger finger lays out with my first knuckle joint at the front of the trigger guard. For those of us with larger mitts, getting a gun that shoots a smaller selection of higher priced ammo less comfortably than a 1911 doesn't make a lot of sense.

Ok forum members- Finally shot her today. Had good groups at 7 and 15 yards. Then a storm came and had to leave the range. I concentrated on head shots. keep them in on a B27. I liked the grip (even though I will add grip tape or have some stippling done). Recoil and follow up shots weren't bad. I felt comfortable with her and want to like her. I really was not liking the reset on her(too used to Glock reset). I think i could have done much better if the trigger was a little lighter, less mushy and better reset. I am still torn on whether to send her to SA and have a warranty paper trail/claim if there is a problem or send her to Springer Precision. Remember Now, SA will not do a full trigger job on a carry pistol. Plus several have posted dissatisfaction with SA work. I would like to get the slide IonBonded also, which SA does not offer. But they do offer BlackT. I am not sure which way to go. I would appreciate any suggestions.

As I said in July.....

The basic kit and some polishing will get you a dramatically better trigger for under a hundred bucks and just a couple hours of diddling around.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
John, Thanks for the reply. But I am a little hesitant in taking apart the pistol and filing some parts (unless it is a VERY easy task installing the trigger parts).

·
Registered
4 Posts
My agency issues the 37 and 39 to all of us. It feels good to have a .45, but I'd rather have a Glock 21 or 22 like everyone else.

I like having more capacity than CCWers prior to 2004. After all wasn't that the main reason this gun, the 37-39 was produced?

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
John, Thanks for the reply. But I am a little hesitant in taking apart the pistol and filing some parts (unless it is a VERY easy task installing the trigger parts).
With the new kit, the filing is on a part accessable from the outside. (it's a knob on the back of the trigger). You can go whole hog or bit by bit with the PRP product line.

Take a look at the link.

PRP Ultimate Easy fit XD Trigger Kit

It's the basic kit with the new trigger for $100. There are many write ups on the install. The basic kit with the new trigger is VERY easy to install. You need to field strip, then drive out the two large pins that hold the trigger assembly. You will then take out the old trigger and spring and eventually replace with the new trigger and spring. The sear and safety lever spring pin is pushed part way out and you release the tension on the springs. The sear and safety lever pivot pin is pushed part way out so you can remove the old safety lever and replace it with the new one. You only need to use the new sear spring and not the double.

Once you get new safety lever and spring in place, put in the new trigger and spring and put that assembly back. All the "adjusting" is done to the back of the new trigger. You try to dry fire, if it doesn't you file off a couple swipes and retry. It's best to go slow as you can detect the difference between perfect and one swipe too many.

While it is easy, if there is any confusion, there are lot's of people here to help out, lots of videos to watch and you can call PRP too. Heck, if you were close I'd have you over and we could crank it out the parts install in under 30 minutes. The adjusting would take a bit more as that's the thing you want to really take your time with and get perfect.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Master- believe me, you have two very fine pistols-period. We used to issue the G21 and G30. Too many problems with officers who had small hands. We tried and tried. The G21SF GEN4 is a little better- but it is still a big heavy pistol attached to your hip. The G37 and GEN4 G37 are much easier to tote. Look at the GEN4 G37- awesome!!!!!!!!

My agency issues the 37 and 39 to all of us. It feels good to have a .45, but I'd rather have a Glock 21 or 22 like everyone else.

I like having more capacity than CCWers prior to 2004. After all wasn't that the main reason this gun, the 37-39 was produced?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks John- I'll be over, I'll buy dinner! What ever you want!!! LOL. Maybe I will give it a try. What the hell, you only live once and can destroy a pistol a couple of times!!!!!!!!! LOL:D

With the new kit, the filing is on a part accessable from the outside. (it's a knob on the back of the trigger). You can go whole hog or bit by bit with the PRP product line.

Take a look at the link.

PRP Ultimate Easy fit XD Trigger Kit

It's the basic kit with the new trigger for $100. There are many write ups on the install. The basic kit with the new trigger is VERY easy to install. You need to field strip, then drive out the two large pins that hold the trigger assembly. You will then take out the old trigger and spring and eventually replace with the new trigger and spring. The sear and safety lever spring pin is pushed part way out and you release the tension on the springs. The sear and safety lever pivot pin is pushed part way out so you can remove the old safety lever and replace it with the new one. You only need to use the new sear spring and not the double.

Once you get new safety lever and spring in place, put in the new trigger and spring and put that assembly back. All the "adjusting" is done to the back of the new trigger. You try to dry fire, if it doesn't you file off a couple swipes and retry. It's best to go slow as you can detect the difference between perfect and one swipe too many.

While it is easy, if there is any confusion, there are lot's of people here to help out, lots of videos to watch and you can call PRP too. Heck, if you were close I'd have you over and we could crank it out the parts install in under 30 minutes. The adjusting would take a bit more as that's the thing you want to really take your time with and get perfect.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I love the GAP, I wish XDM would come out in the 3.8. XD got it right with the GAP as it is the exact same slide width and frame dimensions as the 9 and .40's. The Glock has a much more massive slide, which undermines concealability if you ask me.

I shot the GAP side by side in the G27 and G39 and the GAP was a more pleasant, more accurate round and felt like I could get back on target quicker.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I love the GAP, I wish XDM would come out in the 3.8. XD got it right with the GAP as it is the exact same slide width and frame dimensions as the 9 and .40's. The Glock has a much more massive slide, which undermines concealability if you ask me.

I shot the GAP side by side in the G27 and G39 and the GAP was a more pleasant, more accurate round and felt like I could get back on target quicker.
I read today that the xdm 9mm,40 and 45acp all use the same size frame. It would seem pointless to have an xdm in 45 gap if it used the same size frame as the 45acp.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts