Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally put my C&R license to use after having it for almost a year. I ordered a Mosin 91/30 with hex receiver from J&G Sales last Tuesday and it showed up at the house today. I had every intention of adding an aftermarket stock to this rifle just as kind of a fun cheap project gun, but after seeing it in person it will be left exactly as is. Really a beautiful rifle. Receiver date is 1927.

·
Premium Member
127,272 Posts
Congratulations! That's an old Mosin. Mine is dated 1938.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
That is nice. I would leave it alone. You're going to have a lot of fun with it.

Mine dates to 1943 and nowhere near as nice, but still cool. I'm leaving mine alone. The only thing I did was file the bayonet to make it easier to get on and off.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Beautiful gun. I think you are making the right decision in not 'sporterizing' it. Cool marks on the receiver too.

My son and I are planning to take ours out for the first time this weekend. Might take an M44 too.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No, haven't shot it yet. Haven't even stripped it down and gave it a good cleaning yet. Just been too busy with other things. Looking forward to taking it out soon though.

·
Premium Member
24,885 Posts
1927 is the date the rifle was made, underneath the receivers tang, is the date of the receiver.

·
Premium Member
1,684 Posts
I had every intention of adding an aftermarket stock to this rifle just as kind of a fun cheap project gun, but after seeing it in person it will be left exactly as is.
Phew! I'm very happy to hear that.

That's a beautiful rifle you have there! Don't mess with it! :D

·
Registered
63 Posts
I would be proud to own one like that.

Then again, I always tinker (for example, I'd be compelled by my nature to to a Finnish trigger job on it). I therefore try to sell off any collectibles in the condition you have before I can make a mess of 'em! :D

Congrats!

Josh

·
Registered
97 Posts
That is very cool, I got the Mosin fever yesterday at the gunshow, just gotta pick one up from somewhere. Had a friend from another forum take me around and teach me about the markings, and pre-war from post-war... all very cool.

·
Registered
324 Posts
thats an awesome rifle!! mine is a 1933 model. i also had the intention to put the Monte Carlo stock on it but couldn't bring myself to do it! planning on getting a second one to put in a Monte Carlo stock so that way i have an original and a sporty version!! Hit up gun shows for ammo...buy bulk...i picked up a 1000 round box for 150 bucks...cant beat it!

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
beautiful wood on that

·
Registered
88 Posts
Very nice rifle. I have got a few rifles from j&g. I like them. Very nice '27 Izhevsk arsenal. Nice pre-war stock with the screw in escutcheons. you did well. Clean her all up yet?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts