Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad took me into the gun shop today and bought me my birthday present. I came home with a new(ish) M44! A little cleaning and polishing, a little cosmoline removal and she looks not half bad! A few pitted spots down the barrel, and a minor pitted spot on the magazine but overall not a bad pickup once I had her all torn down. The wood is kind of rough and it was my second choice, but someone bought my first choice out from under me yesterday. I don't think I'm going to do anything with the wood since she's going to be shot, shot, shot to hell, and shot some more. Sometimes character isn't such a bad trait for a gun. Pics as soon as I can steal my camera back from the wife!

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
Where is Ohio are you located, the gun store I go to in columbus had a great deal of the M44 and sold everyone of them last month, they don't know when there getting more in stock and I am wanting one pretty badly.

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Where is Ohio are you located, the gun store I go to in columbus had a great deal of the M44 and sold everyone of them last month, they don't know when there getting more in stock and I am wanting one pretty badly.
I'm up in Celina. I got mine at Big Buck's in Niekamp's Flea Market. I got the last M44 they had in stock, but they do have a pretty good assortment of 91/30's. I don't know how quick he'll be to order more in. They're all on sale for 99$ with bayonet, ammo pouch, bolt tool, cleaning kit, and sling. It was $109 and change out the door. Most of this stock has been sitting there a few years. He does have a nice Chilean Mauser sitting there in stock right now, and he often sees Nagants back in as trades for new guns. I missed a chance a while back at an almost pristine 91/30 vet bringback. He wanted $129 for it and when I went back on payday 2 days later it was gone. He usually has something interesting in stock, and has a decent used selection. The other shop in the area, Kramer's is a decent shop and has the only indoor range in the area. The only problem with Kramer's is that he's almost always overpriced and very seldom puts anything interesting as far as used guns out on the floor. Most anything used that comes in either gets held in the back or ends up bought by one of the employees. They did acquire an extensive collection of Colt 1911's a while back, and are very good when it comes to higher end stuff.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Nice, the M44 is a sweet carbine. I bought one a few months ago and it's fun to shoot (although a bit painful). Did you disassemble the bolt and clean all the cosmoline out?

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice, the M44 is a sweet carbine. I bought one a few months ago and it's fun to shoot (although a bit painful). Did you disassemble the bolt and clean all the cosmoline out?
I haven't gone to the length of removing the firing pin yet, but there really isn't any buildup inside of the bolt itself. I did clean the firing pin channel. I'm debating right now whether or not I want to go to the trouble of removing all of the cosmoline out of everything. It's probably my least favorite gun chore. Before I go to shoot it I probably will go ahead and do the full tear down and cleaning. Soft cosmoline is enough of a pain, but I absolutely refuse to let it harden and cure on another gun. That was mess LOL!

·
Premium Member
15,719 Posts
I haven't gone to the length of removing the firing pin yet, but there really isn't any buildup inside of the bolt itself. I did clean the firing pin channel. I'm debating right now whether or not I want to go to the trouble of removing all of the cosmoline out of everything. It's probably my least favorite gun chore. Before I go to shoot it I probably will go ahead and do the full tear down and cleaning. Soft cosmoline is enough of a pain, but I absolutely refuse to let it harden and cure on another gun. That was mess LOL!
you'll tahnk yourself later if you clean it all out now. Also, the bolt is designed to be the tools you need to disassemble the bolt and remove the pin, so its pretty easy. also if you take the firing pin out, make sure you use the gap tool that should have come with the gun and make sure your firing pin isn't too high.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts

·
Registered
1,180 Posts

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
My dad took me into the gun shop today and bought me my birthday present. I came home with a new(ish) M44! A little cleaning and polishing, a little cosmoline removal and she looks not half bad! A few pitted spots down the barrel, and a minor pitted spot on the magazine but overall not a bad pickup once I had her all torn down. The wood is kind of rough and it was my second choice, but someone bought my first choice out from under me yesterday. I don't think I'm going to do anything with the wood since she's going to be shot, shot, shot to hell, and shot some more. Sometimes character isn't such a bad trait for a gun. Pics as soon as I can steal my camera back from the wife!
Pffttt...no pictures, no Mosin....you knew this was coming...:)

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
bah, thats cheating!! LOL
There is no such thing as cheating...LOL...hell I am approaching 40, the shoulder wants me to be nice.

Hey, you have to admit it looks better than the slip on kind...

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You might want to look into one of these...I am thinking of ordering one today...

Amazon.com: M44 Mosin Nagant Rubber Recoil Butt Pad: Sports & Outdoors
I had thought about getting one of those, but I'm one of those not so vertically gifted individuals who would have to cut down the stock to make it fit. I'm probably going to go with a compensator instead. I intend to mount a Mojo rear on it and pillar bed the action. I'm hoping that the windage adjustable iron will help to reign in the average point of impact to overcome the barrel harmonics. I had originally wanted an M38, but haven't seen one locally in 3 years.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Mosin Nagant Rifle Exploded Views and Disassembly should help with disassembly. I had found another site with detailed instructions that really helped with disassembling the bolt, but I apparently didn't bookmark it.

It took me only part of a day to clean my M44. Hot water (just shy of boiling) will dissolve 99% of the cosmo without the issues of chemicals. The tough deposits in the receiver I hit with mineral spirits and a brush, and used the regular Hoppe's solvent for a final cleaning. For the stock, I just wiped it down with mineral spirits and called it a day.

You might want to look into one of these...I am thinking of ordering one today...

Amazon.com: M44 Mosin Nagant Rubber Recoil Butt Pad: Sports & Outdoors
I have a slip-on neoprene sleeve with a gel pad that really cuts down the recoil and keeps it from bruising me. The only downside is that it tends to twist around, and I have to adjust it every 20 rounds or so.

·
Premium Member
9,171 Posts
I don't know what you guys are up about the recoil for, the M44 doesn't thump any harder than the 91/30...the 91/30 actuall kicks a little more as far as perceived recoil.they weigh exactly the same. the M38 and 91/59s are about a pound lighter and push harder. Light ball ammo will give you a decent push instead of a thump.

·
Registered
17,760 Posts
I concur.. I think my 2 mosin's are lighter than my 12 gauge for sure.

My 91/30 kicks a bit harder than the m44
How so...the 91/30 should be heavier than the M44 carbine

I still like the kick of a .30 cal round going downrange...

·
Premium Member
7,518 Posts
I concur.. I think my 2 mosin's are lighter than my 12 gauge for sure.

My 91/30 kicks a bit harder than the m44
I couldn't tell the difference, unless I shot them both the same day. Then again, the only thing that bugs me is my 12ga after about 5 slugs. Sometimes those rubber pads make it worse! You can't get it on your shoulder good enough to keep the gun from hitting instead of pushing like it's supposed to. I have a limb saver one, and I don't use it. Some people like them though. I'd rather have the gun shove me back, than have it hit my shoulder. :confused:

·
Registered
725 Posts
I shot them side by side at the range. My friend was there and he also shot them both, confirming that my 91/30 kicks harder than my m44.

Idk why. Maybe because the powder has a longer time to burn in the longer barrel?

I can say for sure that the m44 has a big ass fireball where the 91/30 doesn't. LOL :D

·
Premium Member
9,171 Posts
How so...the 91/30 should be heavier than the M44 carbine

I still like the kick of a .30 cal round going downrange...
The bayonet adds the weight...8 1/2 inches of barrel (91/30=27.75") and the M44 (19.25")front sight sleeve and bayonet weight roughly the same. Both come in at 9 lbs. the M44, depending on the country, is sometimes just over 9 lbs.

The longer barrel of the 91/30 burns more of the powder off (not as big of a muzzle flash) than the M44. Big flash= wasted energy= reduced velocity= less recoil.

·
Premium Member
9,171 Posts
I shot them side by side at the range. My friend was there and he also shot them both, confirming that my 91/30 kicks harder than my m44.

Idk why. Maybe because the powder has a longer time to burn in the longer barrel?

I can say for sure that the m44 has a big ass fireball where the 91/30 doesn't. LOL :D
M91s have virtually no flash.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts