1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just see a stripped lower laying on that kefiya. ;)
Imagine me in the woods. :cool:

I have all different sizes and colors when it comes to kefiyas. I usually break them out in the winter, or Ill wear one to the Mosque on Fridays.

·
Premium Member
9,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Hows does that lock up compared to a CTR?
The MOE engages the pre-cut holes in the buffer tube just like a normal CAR stock. Not sure how snug the CTR locks up, but the MOE seems to lock up a bit tighter than a standard CAR.

I have no complaints. The included rubber pad is nice as well.

EDITED FOR CORRECTIONS.

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
yea i just bought a black MOE and im very happy with how well it locks up. it is tighter then my regular CAR stock....i dont really see a need to spend an extra $50 for the CTR features since im happy with the way it is so i would be spending $50 for a sling mount. mine also came with a rubber pad. mine is the commercial

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
The MOE engages the pre-cut holes in the buffer tube just like a normal CAR stock. I believe the CTR uses pressure on the tube and is infinitely adjustable (Some one correct me if I'm wrong). Not sure how snug the CTR locks up, but the MOE seems to lock up a bit tighter than a standard CAR.

I have no complaints. The included rubber pad is nice as well.

I played around with the CTR and MOE for a bit - as far as I know the CTR requires the holes for lock-up as well. The ony difference is the secondary lever that sort of snugs up the buttstock against the extension tube and eliminates wiggle. It's not a safety lever or anything though - you pull the main lever and the friction lock disengages automatically. The MOE is a great deal as far as I'm concerned. I bought one and returned it only because - for all of DPMS' great points - they come w/commerical extension tubes and the commerical version of the MOE still seems to be in short supply.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
The CTR is not infinitely adjustable, it uses the regular positions of the extension tube. The MOE isn't bad, but there is a SLIGHT bit of play. The CTR uses the friction lock in addition to the "normal" adjustment setup. The friction lock eliminates all play and is 100% solid.

When I got the MOE I wasn't aware there'd be a little bit of play (it's on the folding AK). Considering I wanted an adjustable stock just to get the perfect length and I can fold it to make it more compact, I put some tape on the extension tube. This essentially locked the MOE in place (it can be adjusted, but not easily). It's now rock solid and I've got no complaints (though I do now kinda wish it has the quick release hole... oh well!)

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
The Magpul CTR indexes the holes like a regular slider. It is not infinite adjustment. It has a better fit than a generic slider to begin with and tightens to zero (or negligible) wobble when the clamp is squeezed. The clamp wedges a plastic piece against the rectangular lower portion of the buffer tube. The clamp automatically unclamps when one squeezes the adjust lever, so it is not a complicated two step procedure to change length. The MOE will fit much better than a generic slider and is all most people will need as an upgrade. The MOE would be better if you believe the K.I.S.S. principle.

I have found with the Magpul CTR (and probably MOE as well) that the thick commercial recoil pad works better with a short mil-spec tube and the thin mil-spec recoil pad works better with a longer commercial buffer tube for optimal length of pull.

P.S. That lower is not done yet. It needs a Magpul enhanced trigger guard (black to match the receiver please).

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
I am sure you know this, but to assemble the upper to the lower the hammer should be pulled back to the cocked position or else it could mar the bottom of the bolt carrier. I also recommend that the safety be put on when separated from the upper while cleaning because you don't want the hammer to release full force when separated like that. The hammer could damage the aluminum receiver or bolt hold open catch if dry fired sans the upper repeatedly.

I am sure you lowered the hammer gently and are just storing the complete lower with the hammer down to relieve the hammer spring pressure.

·
Premium Member
9,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am sure you know this, but to assemble the upper to the lower the hammer should be pulled back to the cocked position or else it could mar the bottom of the bolt carrier. I also recommend that the safety be put on when separated from the upper while cleaning because you don't want the hammer to release full force when separated like that. The hammer could damage the aluminum receiver or bolt hold open catch if dry fired sans the upper repeatedly.
+1

I am sure you lowered the hammer gently and are just storing the complete lower with the hammer down to relieve the hammer spring pressure.
Exactly...

·
Premium Member
9,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
The sad part is that lower will probably remain in that state till spring, due to the fact that complete uppers are pretty much unobtainable at this point. :sad: :cry:

Luckily, I have this to occupy my time till then...

:shock::mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
If that is a mil-spec buffer tube and mil-spec MOE, the length of pull might be too short. With the stock fully extended, measure from the trigger to the end of the butt. For me 5'10", a standard length of pull of 13-3/4" (350mm) works best. I had to swap for a thick commercial Magpul recoil pad to get the length of pull correct on a mil-spec CTR setup.

·
Premium Member
9,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If that is a mil-spec buffer tube and mil-spec MOE, the length of pull might be too short. With the stock fully extended, measure from the trigger to the end of the butt. For me 5'10", a standard length of pull of 13-3/4" (350mm) works best. I had to swap for a thick commercial Magpul recoil pad to get the length of pull correct on a mil-spec CTR setup.
Ill check that out. It is a milspec stock and tube. We're both the same height. Do you put your nose to the charging handle?

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Ill check that out. It is a milspec stock and tube. We're both the same height. Do you put your nose to the charging handle?
I'm 5' 11" and shoot with the buttstock in 2nd shortest notch. It all depends on how you shoot. I square up to the target so much that I have a youth stock on my HD shotgun.

·
Banned
6,667 Posts
From the number of times he has mentioned that the milspec extension is "too short" I don't think he shoots NTCH.

I'm 5' 11" and shoot with the buttstock in 2nd shortest notch. It all depends on how you shoot. I square up to the target so much that I have a youth stock on my HD shotgun.
Same here, shoot (depending on number of holes in extension) 1 or 2 out from fully collasped.

·
Registered
263 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the link, I'm holding out for a LMT or Bravo 16" though. :)

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
The sad part is that lower will probably remain in that state till spring, due to the fact that complete uppers are pretty much unobtainable at this point. :sad: :cry:

Luckily, I have this to occupy my time till then...

:shock::mrgreen:
That needs either a UBR or A mil-spec black CTR

1 - 20 of 25 Posts