Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy
Just got a new Parkerised mil spec . I was given 100 rds of Tula ammo
Seems the bullets are steel . Will this hurt my barrel ?
Also will the park finish be ok with a clp bath .

·
Registered
19,923 Posts
Both are good to go.

Some indoor ranges won't allow the bimetal jacket all though but it should function fine in the pistol.

Watch out for the high crush grip with a mil spec, if you've got big hands that hammer spur might bite ya.

Giving the parkerized finish a bath in rem oil or hoppes is a good idea too. The idea of a park finish is to soak up oil to keep rust at bay.

·
Premium Member
12,161 Posts
Tula = steel case, bimetal bullet. Will you be OK? Yeah, 100 rounds isn't going to hurt your pistol. No reason you can't just get rid of the ammo, either.

If it were me, I'd shoot it. It's just a Mil-Spec, not a Nighthawk or Wilson Combat. ;) Besides, wearing out the stock barrel so you have an excuse to fit a true match grade barrel would be fun.

·
Registered
7,065 Posts
When I had my milspec I ran some tula through it when we had the ammo shortage. To my surprise it ran %100 lol.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
The MIL-SPEC isn't a match pistol, but if it was, I wouldn't be shooting Tula out of it. Having my BE pistol sent back and the cost of a new barrel/bushing, extractor, etc. isn't worth the savings or degraded accuracy. Granted, it takes more than a small amount to get it there.

FWIW I shoot Tula out of my XD(M) if I find it cheap enough. When the barrel wears out, I'll drop in another. No sweat. It's not fit in any way so its no impact.

http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/brass-vs-steel-cased-ammo/

·
Registered
19,923 Posts
I don't bother with Tula or Wolf because it's always been really dirty and never shot worth a damn in anything I own but it's still better than poking at the gun wanting to shoot it but not finding any ammo.

·
Registered
18,867 Posts
The MIL-SPEC isn't a match pistol, but if it was, I wouldn't be shooting Tula out of it. Having my BE pistol sent back and the cost of a new barrel/bushing, extractor, etc. isn't worth the savings or degraded accuracy. Granted, it takes more than a small amount to get it there.

FWIW I shoot Tula out of my XD(M) if I find it cheap enough. When the barrel wears out, I'll drop in another. No sweat. It's not fit in any way so its no impact.

http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/brass-vs-steel-cased-ammo/
This.

Speaking for myself I won't shoot steel bullets in any gun I own (but I also reload), but if you're going to shoot it in something make sure it's something you don't mind wearing the lands in your barrel out of. 100 rounds? Yeah shoot it, it won't hurt your gun. From what I've read once you're in the thousands your barrel is completely shot but a couple of hundred won't hurt too bad.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
I'm not a fan of Tula, Wolf shoots better and a couple hundred will hurt nothing. I have 2,000 rounds of Wolf through my Loaded from my apartment dwelling days along with untold White box Winchester. No issues.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts