Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been carrying a S&W BODYGUARD .380 for a while now and have been thinking I may want something a little larger maybe a 9mm So I went to a few of the local gun shops and two out of three of the owners had XDM's on their sides. So I started researching them on internet where I find the XM subcompact. I am aware the barrel length differences and weight differences. And understand that in general a shorter barrel will not be as accurate as a matchgrade barrel .800 longer. I'm not a large guy and like the Idea of the small subcompact to carry, but I also realize that 5oz and .800 barrel length is not a whole lot more to carry. Is there other features or any thing else I may not be aware of that I should be taking into consideration when comparing these two? Like the subcompact has been around since (I believe)2002 so Is there a big difference in the technology between it and the newer XDM? I realize every one has opinions so this maybe like discussing oil brands on a motorcycle forum, talk about opening a can of worms! Help the new guy out here. Thanks

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
Nice thing about the XDm compact is that you can use the longer full size mags with a full size grip. Makes range time more fun and is still able to be small when you need to carry.

The differences between the sc and XDmc are not huge. A little better ergonomics and simpler take down on the m. Able to customize the grip with inserts. Go with what you like better as both are excellent guns.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Well, like you I carried a .380 everyday, ruger lcp. I also have an xd9sc. The XD is much thicker and for me that made concealment more difficult. So in spite of the ease of shooting, 9mm punch and better capacity I just rarely carried the XD. I ended up compromising on the ruger lc9. 9mm, very thin and easy to conceal. Full size grip, still only 7+1 though. If you do go with the XD, I found the crossbreed holster to be the most comfortable way to carry concealed, ymmv.

Sent from my iPad

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have a 380, too and its so easy to conceal. Like you mention, the extra ounces are not hard to deal with. I figure 10 more ounces is worth the added capacity and round size amongst other variables. You say that you are not that big and neither am I. I am probably shorter than average with an athletic build. My EDC is a full size XDm 45. Shorts and a tshirt is my summer gear and jeans in fall and winter. The Crossbreed Supertuck helps with concealment. I think the hardest this to conceal is the grip when sitting since the gun moves with you (carrying at about 3 to 4). If you can find a friend that has a holster and a gun you are interested in, try to test it. Check them out in the gun shop and put it on your side. To be honest, I was surprised that the XDm 45 concealed as well as it did. Although a XD9SC is obviously easier to conceal due to size. I will probably add a SC XD to my inventory in the future. Different scenarios sometimes call for different carry weapons / configurations just like different clothing for different events.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
41 Posts
I primarily carry an XD40SC and when I go places where I want to carry more rounds I carry my XD9 service. I always have my Keltec P-32 as a BUG. Both XDs are excellent shooters although I like the price of 9mm ammo for target practice.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
The XDsc is not so easy to conceal, it's a bit chunky.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I love my 9mm sub compact. Conceals easily with just a T shirt and my MTAC .

I have other smaller guns on my permit but the sub compact is the one I carry 99.9% of the time.

·
Registered
11,293 Posts
Welcome to the Forum 1Chip from Texas! You mentioned accuracy in your post. I have both the XD 4" service and the SC, and can tell ya that you will be highly impressed with the accuracy from the 3" subcompact. Think of "combat" or "social" ranges you would be engaging your target from? Across your bedroom, or living room, in a garage, or across your drive way. The XDsc is much more accurate than you may ever need it to be, and conceals much easier than the "full" size models.

Concealing a handgun is more about the length of it's handle or grip, than the length of it's barrel. So you could also consider the XDm 3.8 compact also. Not a whole lot of difference between the XD and the XDm other than price, cosmetics and texture and breakdown. Match grade barrel is a myth.... LOL! It sounds really good to the one's that don't know that a true match grade barrel is custom fitted to each gun by a qualified gunsmith. Not cranked out from the factory

Consideration of the Springfield XD class is a good choice. They are just wonderful pistols at an even better price point! Let us all know what ya came down on. Nice looking bike ya got there too!

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
I carried the XDsc very easily and did just as well in social Practical Shooting matches with it as others were doing with their 4" service models. When I got the XDsc, the XDMc was not available. I just switched over to the XDMc last Month, but not due to accuracy, or the "M Factor"... It simply fits my hand better than the blockier XDsc. The grip lengths of the SC and Mc are basically the same, the 9mm both hold 13 rounds in the shorter Flush Fit mags, but you basically have a slightly longer sight radius on the 3.8" Mc than the 3" SC.

The XDMc is more expensive, but if the Mc feels better to shoot, it's worth the extra money. If they both feel equally good to shoot and the Mc doesn't feel THAT much better, get the SC.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks folks for the input. I will have to handle each a little more. I had guessed they were all reliable as you all agree. I will be lurking here while trying to decide. And will let you know when I do .Thanks... , Chip

1 - 11 of 11 Posts