Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have been looking around this site and calguns for a while and finally decided that I have to have an XD (first gun!). I went in to a couple of places and held a lot of guns and the XD fit my hand the best.

Initially I leaned towards the XD9, but in the last week or so I have been leaning towards the .40. I haven't ever shot a .40, so I will be going out tomorrow to test one and make sure that it isn't too sharp of a recoil to play with and that my wife will be able to handle it if ever needed.... it should only hurt once, right ;)

Anyways, I have decided that the OD Green in a 4" is the way to go for me... just need to decide between the 9mm and the .40 and start my 10 day.

I look forward to learning from you guys and contributing anywhere I can, and maybe finding some locals to shoot with :D

·
Registered
168 Posts
You are doing the right thing. Shoot both and see which one works for you the best and then go with it. We can't do that for you. You win either way.

·
Banned
38,920 Posts
Welcome to the forum ... I'm sure whichever caliber you choose, you will be happy with it.

Great gun choice !!!

·
Premium Member
4,971 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Central Florida! And congrats on picking the XD.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Guys! I am super excited to get one and I am sure that I will be happy either way... I just wish that they had a .22 conversion for them!

·
Registered
83 Posts
I went through the same thing recently....I ended up with the XDsc in 9mm. At first, I wanted the 40 cal, as the gun will be used for CC....but....I like to shoot, and I plan to get involved in IDPA.
So....my final decision came down to economics....It will be more ecomical for me to shoot the 9mm, and I'll pick a more powerful round for self defense, vs the 115 gr that I shoot at paper.

I'm very happy with my decision and the gun, but ymmv. I just thought it might help you with a different point of view. Either way you win.
pb

·
Banned
38,920 Posts
Thanks Guys! I am super excited to get one and I am sure that I will be happy either way... I just wish that they had a .22 conversion for them!
We all do :D

FWIW,
3 companies have announced their intentions to give us this (previous years), but all 3 have not been able to do so.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I went through the same thing recently....I ended up with the XDsc in 9mm. At first, I wanted the 40 cal, as the gun will be used for CC....but....I like to shoot, and I plan to get involved in IDPA.
So....my final decision came down to economics....It will be more ecomical for me to shoot the 9mm, and I'll pick a more powerful round for self defense, vs the 115 gr that I shoot at paper.

I'm very happy with my decision and the gun, but ymmv. I just thought it might help you with a different point of view. Either way you win.
pb
Thanks for your input, I do appreciate it... that was my original thought, buy a 9mm since it's a little cheaper to shoot (you can go more often) and have some good hollow points for self defense. I just have a few friends that give me the whole "I wouldn't put my life or my family's life in the hands of a 9mm... blah, blah" ;) So it has me curious to know how much more the .40 puts out and if it's not as much fun to shoot (too much recoil). The price difference is only about $3-4 per 50, but that adds up quick if you go out a lot so I have to keep that in mind. In my mind, a hollow point 9mm in the right spot will stop someone.... It is all going to come down to comfort though. If I feel comfortable shooting the .40, I know it will be that much better for defense and I'll get one.... if I don't feel as comfortable, 9mm will be just fine!

I know that there are TONS of 9mm vs. .40 threads, so I don't mean to head in that direction.... in the end it comes down to comfort, control and cost - but you gotta shoot it to find what's right.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We all do :D

FWIW,
3 companies have announced their intentions to give us this (previous years), but all 3 have not been able to do so.

Wait.... I am not the only one that wants this!? Crazy! :shock:

I am not gonna lie, it had me considering other gun options that do offer that type of conversion... but in the end, the grip wasn't as comfortable as the XD.

It's so lame that with SO MANY people that would buy it, it's not in the market!! I think as soon as someone announces that it's available, it will be like those Black Friday Sale videos of complete chaos :D

·
Banned
38,920 Posts
Wait.... I am not the only one that wants this!? Crazy! :shock:

I am not gonna lie, it had me considering other gun options that do offer that type of conversion... but in the end, the grip wasn't as comfortable as the XD.

It's so lame that with SO MANY people that would buy it, it's not in the market!! I think as soon as someone announces that it's available, it will be like those Black Friday Sale videos of complete chaos :D
Agreed, and I'd be fighting to get on a waiting list ... Oh well, I'm just biased about the XD/XDm line.

Have ya seen my bias - XD9 Fails :mrgreen:
I'm kind of proud of them ... IMHO, you made an excellent choice.

Also,
I've heard there might be some kind of legal issues involved with a conversion, but I have no clue about that ... Just read it here, in the past.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Here in Dallas, .40 is almost as reasonable as 9mm and in some cases, the same price in ball ammo and JHP configuration. If you can handle the extra horsepower of the .40, then go for it, if not, no problem you will be well served with a 9mm----just choose your JHP defense ammo wisely. Plenty of people here can help you in that department.

.40 is becoming the ubiquitous American LEO caliber and like every other item in life not completely controlled by a government, price is determined by supply versus demand.

·
Registered
83 Posts
you could always buy the 40 cal for you......and the 9mm for the wife...;)

(I'm doin' good to get mine to shoot the 9, too much bang and jump for her, but she's getting used to it.)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
you could always buy the 40 cal for you......and the 9mm for the wife...;)

(I'm doin' good to get mine to shoot the 9, too much bang and jump for her, but she's getting used to it.)

Yeah, she's not too excited about the investment for 1 gun.... I am pretty sure she would be :mad: if I tried that :(

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here in Dallas, .40 is almost as reasonable as 9mm and in some cases, the same price in ball ammo and JHP configuration. If you can handle the extra horsepower of the .40, then go for it, if not, no problem you will be well served with a 9mm----just choose your JHP defense ammo wisely. Plenty of people here can help you in that department.

.40 is becoming the ubiquitous American LEO caliber and like every other item in life not completely controlled by a government, price is determined by supply versus demand.
I really look forward to learning more about the ammo, right now I am pretty clueless and that's never a good feeling!

·
Banned
38,920 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
There are others with even more than that.

Hi AZ, yes i guess, the other guy had more than 50,000rds through his xd the most abused, that i've read, here's hoping your baby can replicate that! BTW, how many thousand more rds. have you added to that figure lately?:razz:

·
Registered
83 Posts
Go ahead and make the investment, but, this is your first gun, so......
please please please please......get some training, take a class, or classes, and include the wife too.

You will enjoy the gun more, have much more confidence, . You both need to learn how to use the gun in a safe manner. The more training you both get, the better it will be for both of you.
jmo.

·
Banned
38,920 Posts
Hi AZ, yes i guess, the other guy had more than 50,000rds through his xd the most abused, that i've read, here's hoping your baby can replicate that! BTW, how many thousand more rds. have you added to that figure lately?:razz:
Actually, not that many ... I usually shoot out in the desert, and it's pretty hot this time of year

1 - 20 of 44 Posts