Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, long time rifle and shotgun shooter, not so much on the handguns.

I've had an XD-40 for 5+ years now and have maybe fired 300 rounds through it.

I qualified for my CCW this weekend and fired it for the first time in 3+ years. I was extremely pleased with the grouping using WWB ammo. My question is, what can I do about POI?

Here is the target I shot:
(Apparently I can't add links until I have 10 posts so it will have to wait.)

As you can see, I'm shooting low and to the left. Is this something I need to correct with grip, aim, ammo? Having not a lot of handgun experience, I'm not sure where to look in terms of improvement to move my groups closer to center of POA.

BTW, this is 30 rounds fired with 10 rounds at 15 feet, 10 rounds at 21 feet, and 10 rounds at 30 feet. Again, real happy with the grouping, just wondering if I should make any adjustments to my shooting or the gun to bring the group a bit higher and to the right.

Thanks all! :)

·
Registered
417 Posts
Low and left is usually indicative of too much trigger finger for right handed shooters.

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
Welcome to XDTalk!
There is quite an extensive thread discussing the Low/Left issue here: http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/xd-m-d...t-so-looks-like-about-46-us-have-problem.html

Personally, I still do not believe it is the sights. The most common response is to blame the gear. I find that the most effective cures are grip and trigger press.

This "Trigger Stripe" drill can be very helpful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Azb3q8wOrV4

This can be helpful as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3L4gEFeANLs

·
Registered
931 Posts
Low and left is usually indicative of too much trigger finger for right handed shooters.
THIS.

practice good techniques. . .grip, stance, trigger finger placement and trigger press.

a lot of dry fire practice to build muscle memory. . .just make sure you have good forms, you don't want to be establishing muscle memory of bad form.

Use snap caps to help also prevent any flinching you might be doing.

Lastly, for live fire practice start at 5-7 yard range and stay there until you are happy with your accuracy and groupings, then move out to 10 yards and so on.

It took me between 300-500 rounds before I finally fixed my Low & Left issues.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I don't have to worry about the sights or anything like that but instead work on grip and trigger pull?

Good to know. I'm so used to adjusting the gun, especially with rifles, that I didn't know if there was anything outside of grip/practice to look for.

Also, thanks for the links and warm welcome. Looks like I need to do some studying up. ;)

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
So I don't have to worry about the sights or anything like that but instead work on grip and trigger pull?

Good to know. I'm so used to adjusting the gun, especially with rifles, that I didn't know if there was anything outside of grip/practice to look for.

Also, thanks for the links and warm welcome. Looks like I need to do some studying up. ;)
Yup, grip and trigger press. Train with someone who can watch and critique. Having a training partner keeps you honest and really maximizes the time/money you spend on training. A professional instructor is the best course of action as long as it is not cost prohibitive.

We become accustomed to the fact that we need to adjust sights on rifles because of the extended range and greater effect of windage and elevation. Negatively influencing the strike of the round due to sloppy trigger press is not as evident in rifles as in pistols (it still is there but to a much lesser degree). without that third support (your shoulder) holding the weapons steady like a rifle, your hand(s) will have far more influence on what the pistol does than with a rifle.

Hope you stick around and visit/contribute often. Lots of good folks on here with lots of knowledge.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you, I think I will. I admittedly have never done a lot of handgun shooting so I am somewhat of an open book for learning. The way I used to shoot was the old Cup-N-Saucer method and learned a lot about grip, hold, and stance from my CCW instructors. After seeing the grouping of my XD-40, I'm a lot more excited to get into handgun shooting and see just what I'm capable of doing.

Also would love to learn what I can do with my gun, because, as a gun owner, you just can't leave them alone right? ;)

·
Registered
93 Posts
I would suggest taking a class or two from a local range and then make a point to be in the range at least once a month to shoot a box of 50-100 rds of ammo

1 - 9 of 9 Posts