Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All.

After months of consideration, I picked up a new XDs 45 right after Labor Day. My first outing to the range went well and I burned through 100 rounds of Federal American Eagle 230 gr.

The other players for that session were the full size M&P40 (circa 2013) with a .357 sig barrel and the S&W model 39-02 (circa late 1970s). I started out with the 9mm with new grips installed and then the M&P with the new .357 sig barrel. It made for interesting comparisons. The .357 sig barrel turned the M&P into a real fire breather and noise maker.

The first few rounds from the XDs were just a safety check. One round at a time and no problems. I then loaded up the two 5 round magazines and the 7 round magazine to full capacity and fired them off. Again no problems noted. First impressions were: yes it does recoil a little more than the 40/357 and considerably more than the 9 and it is not a range gun and that was no surprise. It is; however, fun to shoot. It's a power thing I am sure.

On the 93rd round from a fully loaded 7 round magazine, I had a failure to return to battery. Cleared that round and finished off that magazine without interruption. After reading several posts about the FTRTB issue, and knowing that Springfield recommends running the gun a little "wet" during break-in, I suspect it was an oil issue and maybe a very tight, fully loaded 7 round magazine that contributed to the FTRTB.

Today's trip to the range was to focus only on the XDs with a 100 round box of Federal Champion 230gr. ammo from Walmart. (That is some nasty stuff!) The XDs didn't care. It ate what I fed it with no issues. I had six magazines, three thanks to the Springfield promotion which took less than a week to get. Two of the 5 round mags have the Pearce finger extensions on them. I did not see a difference in accuracy between any of the magazines with or without the extensions. At my level of shooting experience, I would take that with a grain of salt. The extensions did make the grip more comfortable.

My final impressions of the gun is that it will work well in the rotation with the M&P for EDC. I do not shoot it as well as the M&P with the 4.25 inch barrel and I did not expect to. I do shoot it as well as I expected for a 3.3 inch barrel.

Would I buy that gun again knowing what I know now? You bet I would:)

Sorry for the long first post but it is my "two cents worth" for the XDs 45.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Nice to hear your report.. Some like them and some don't ..I myself like mine a good bit also(3.3 in 45).I do not shoot it as well as some of my others (longer barrel) guns but I do carry this daily and I seem to improve every outing with it ..I aslo have the 4.0 in 9mm that I do shoot better so I might start making it my daily go to until my skills get better with the 3.3....both are great guns ,Enjoy. these tiny guns can be hard to shoot well it seems, but for me inside 10 yards bad guy is down!!

·
Premium Member
4,971 Posts
Welcome from Central Florida.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Georgia

1 - 7 of 7 Posts