Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all!

This is not my first post on the boards, but it is my first post after some quality time with my wife's new XD9 subcompact. Just finished cleaning her up after a trip to the range. Unfortunately, I'm the gun cleaner in the household, and I've still got two more to do (Walther P99 in .40 SW and Walther P22). But, I'll take the time to give a short range report.

Anyways, I have been posting on waltherforums.com about how impressed I am with the XD I bought for my wife. I'm sure they were tired of hearing it over there. Now that I've gotten to shoot more than one magazine, I must say, this is one fine piece of machinery!

We were shooting WWB 115 gr. at 7-10 yards. Since this is really a self defense weapon, and not a target piece, we felt this distance was about right. My wife shot first, and she'd noticably improved since last time she shot. She's graduating from the Walther P22 plinker to this XD, and she's battling a flinch, but MUCH much better than she did last time (she was all over the place). Now she's grouping sporadically a little low and left. More trips to the range and more familiarity will help cure her flinch I think.

Then it was my turn. I actually got to shoot more than 5 rounds this time. I must say WOW. Sights are dead on using POA, put first shot through the bullseye at 7 yards, second and third were right on top of the first. Two more shots widened the group to about 3" inches at 7 yards. I think that's pretty good for my first real magazine through the gun! I really like the trigger, crisp and clean. Recoil is more than manageable in such a small package. It seems to jump in my wife's hand a little, I'll see if I can get her to grip it up higher on the backstrap. Makes me glad we didn't get her the .40!

I didn't do as well (but not bad either) on my subsequent magazines, but I think it is because I was switching between my P99 and her XD. I can always blame it on something :) . We fired 100 through the XD with only one problem. I was actually shooting a friend's STG 58 (frickin' awesome!) at the time, but my wife told me we had one failure to eject where the slide closed on a round before it cleared the ejection port. No other failures to report. It is possible she limpwristed a bit, or since the gun is new, and we're using light 115 gr rounds, the gun is still in the "break-in" stage (fewer than 500 rounds, now at 200). Or, maybe it is a combination of the two. What do you guys think? I did notice the XD seems to slowly lob the spent casings over the right shoulder. I had one launch straight up, hit the ceiling, then hit me in the head... Doesn't ruin a great XD experience though.

Sorry for the rambling, but I'm really excited about my wife's new XD9 sc. Maybe I can talk her into trading in that problematic P22 because I've now got my eye on the service .45 GAP, hmmm. I think I've got the XD bug. If tonight is any indication, my P99 may have to share the favorite handgun spot! Too bad the gun isn't really "mine." Thanks in advance for any replies and/or input you can give about FTEs in new XDs

Another impressesed XD shooter,
stunks

·
Premium Member
5,749 Posts
Welcome to the HS/XD funhouse. Glad to hear you like the XD. That one FTE could have been from her limp wristing. A little practice with her grip and stiffening up her wrist will take care of it.
Happy shooting.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Welcome to the family!! One thing i must warn you of though. XD's can be very unruly. I bought one and then the problem started. it brought another XD home from the gunstore. a few weeks later they brought home one more. keep an eye on it or the same will happen to you. I love my XD's no more Glocks for me

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Funny you mention that, I've already got plans to buy myself one! Now I just have to talk my wife into it. Hopefully she'll see, more XDs means more shooting and better skills developed.

Besides, who wouldn't want one of each model. I'm set on a bitone service 45 GAP, I think. I shot a friend's baby BLOCK 45 GAP and was actually impressed with the performance of the cartridge. Recoil was present, but not totally outrageous as one might expect in a subcompact.

Now, to find the funds. I think I'll offset my purchase of a Kimber Warrior in favor of the XD, for now... Happy to be here!

-stunks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts