Springfield XD Forum banner

New member, new pistol

1K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  quatroclick 
#1 ·
Greetings. This is my first post to this forum. I am shopping for my first handgun and for defensive handgun training to learn how to safely and effectively use it. The XD is on my short list and when looking into training, I found a deal at front sights in Nevada offering a package including two of their classes plus gear including one’s choice of a service size XD in 9, 40 or 45 (not an XDm). This is almost a no brainier considering the price is less then the more expensive of the classes alone, that is if I can get my wife to let me do it.

Anyway, three questions. Has anyone taken a class at front sights and what do you think? I haven’t fired a handgun in over 20 years, what caliber would you recommend starting with? And the last question and the main reason for this post, what are the know issues with the XD series? I am aware of the finish wearing off easily but that’s about the only problem I have found so far. I noticed this forum has a page dedicated to rust but haven’t looked at it much, is rusting a problem with the XD’s?

Thanks

#2 ·
Hi, howdy... how ya doin'!

First off, Front Sight training is worth its weight in GOLD... You will learn more there than just about anywhere on the planet.

I cannot suggest a caliber as all three of these will serve you well. With modern ammunition and bullet design none will be less than satisfactory.

The rusting issues on the XD's has been solved. Now, that doesn't mean that XD's are rust proof. No gun is rust proof. You still have to make sure it isn't wet before sticking it in a holster or safe or whatnot.

They are accurate enough to get the job done, light enough to carry all day, and they are BORINGLY reliable. I have yet to find anyone with serious problems with their XD and if they have problems, Springfield's excellent customer service WILL take care of you.

Sounds like a good jump start after a 20 year lull.

#3 ·
The finish problem should not exist in new xDs (should address rust and wear), other than that, reliability is a no-brainer. I have yet to have a feed or eject failure.

As far as caliber, generally get the biggest caliber that you can shoot well. Even a 44 Magnum won't help you if you can't hit the target with it. Generally, the 45 is considered to be the best defense caliber, followed by the 40 then the 9. Truth is, with good hollow-point bullets, any of the 3 will be quite effective.

#4 ·
As to what caliber to use, I agree with FunkyD, the 45 ACP is my first choice, followed by the 40 S&W and 9 MM. Which ever caliber you chose, practice is the most important thing you can do to be proficient. I have found the 40 S&W takes more to get used to than either the 9 MM or 45 ACP. The 40 S&W has a snap when fired. For some, it may be a little harsh. The 45 ACP is more of a push and the 9 MM, not as sharp of a snap.
I have not heard any recent problems with XD's. I believe the rust problem has been addressed. They are reliable and accurate.

Good Luck and welcome to the forum.

#5 ·
I dunno if people might consider it a problem but... you become an XD Addict

Rust = Neglect

If your gonna do a lot of target shooting i recommend 9mm it will easier on your wallet. then later when your comfortable u can buy another XD in .40 or .45 .... plus 9mm Personal Protection Bullets are advanced enough to do the job No Problem... and hell if the first don't do the job you got 15+ rounds lol

#6 ·
I would agree 9mm have come a long way and easier on the checkbook at the range. I still prefer the snap and feel of my .40 over a 9mm, but that's personal preference. If you can test out each caliber and go with which ever one feels the best. Because if you go what feels the best you'll have more fun shooting and be a lot more accurate which key to shot placement. Good luck with every thing and let us know what you decide to go with if the boss lets you take the class.

#7 ·
Thanks for the replies. If I get an XD via front sights promotion package I don’t know how new it would be. I don’t know if they have a warehouse full of old ones with the finish problem or they get them as they need them. The finish problem doesn’t bother me too much, I won’t mind having marks from a holster. Rust is another issue but I like taking things apart and cleaning them so it may not be a problem anyway.

I wont have 15 rounds to use; here in NY we are limited to 10 round mags. That is one reason I am leaning to a larger caliber, seems strange to have a grip big enough for 16 rounds of 9mm and only have 10, but a grip big enough for 12 rounds of .40 with only 10 doesn’t seem too bad. Just a strange personal perspective. I did check with front sights and they say they can accommodate the 10 round requirement.

Can anyone offer info on ammo cost? If luck holds out the only thing I will be shooting is paper and diet coke cans so cost may be an important factor in selecting a caliber. Perhaps I should start with 9mm and go heavier if it looks like it may be required? I plan on a 9mm pocket pistol anyway, it may simplify things.

I am going to visit my parent in SC for thanksgiving. I just found out my uncle that lives nearby has a glock 9mm (wish my father still had his old 1911!). I am going to get uncle to take me to his range and fire a few rounds off. Hopefully his range has rentals and I can try a .40 and .45 and see how they feel. Here in NY we are forbidden to even touch a handgun with out a license so a rental here is not possible. I am going to start the process to get a license next week. Strange thing is in the county I live, they wont grant a license unless you show you have a deposit on a handgun, you have to buy one to get a license but you cant touch one with out a license??

#8 ·
I think it is wise to try to shoot all three calibers if you get a chance. I didn't have that opportunity, and I chose the 9mm pretty much on the basis of price. I have since had the opportunity to shoot a 45 and found it much easier to handle than I expected. That being said, I still would have chosen the 9mm. I don't reload, at least not yet, and the cost of ammo is definitely a factor in my range time. Being a new shooter, I felt that I would need as much practice as I could afford to get the fundamentals down correctly and the cheaper ammo makes that easier.

#9 · (Edited)
Thanks for the replies. If I get an XD via front sights promotion package I don’t know how new it would be. I don’t know if they have a warehouse full of old ones with the finish problem or they get them as they need them. The finish problem doesn’t bother me too much, I won’t mind having marks from a holster. Rust is another issue but I like taking things apart and cleaning them so it may not be a problem anyway.

Then you should be good to go. I think rusting of XD's in the past happened a lot less with well cared for guns. You could always ask the supplier and let them know of your concern.

Caliber. I shot .45's years ago but they always belonged to friends of mine. When I decided to get my own gun, I went for 9mm after a lot of research. Ballistics seem to be very good with modern 9mm defensive loads, and it is of course cheaper to shoot for practice. But remember, the choice of caliber is a personal thing and you will get a LOT of very one-sided opinions on the topic. I've actually had people tell me that I am stupid for carrying a 9mm gun.

Good luck with you class, license, and new gun!

EDIT: Forgot to mention, I like my XD9 Service so much that I also got a 9SC!

#11 ·
Welcome to the forum. You will like the XD.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.