Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Both of my other handguns are DA/SA (Beretta 92FS and M9A1) and got the itch for a striker fired handgun. Not really a Glock fan and got to handle a friend's XD45 recently while we were at Front Sight taking a 4DDH class and surprisingly liked the stock trigger of his XD45. When I got home I found an LGS that had XD9's in stock and picked one up. Really wanted the XD9 Tactical with the longer barrel, but I'm in California and we're in the middle of a "pandemic" and political uncertainty, so you take what you can get, right? I just felt fortunate that I found a shop that had a few XD9's in stock. On my pickup day they were all sold out and were replaced with a few Glocks that they just received. also a .45ACP would be nice to have, but since my other firearms are all 9mm and I've been stocking up, it only made sense to stick with what I already have.

Really liking it so far. It's not the prettiest gun, (especially sitting next to both Berettas,( kind of like a Ford Fiesta sitting next to a couple old Ferraris), but I'm impressed with the overall quality, fit and finish of the firearm. Also picked up a BladeTech holster, an Olight PL-2 Mini Valkyrie and a bunch of extra mags.

Only mod I'm doing is the poll pin replacement because I do a lot of dry fire practice at home. Have those on their way from Brownells.

Going to take it to FS next month for a 2-day Skill Builder.

·
16,345 Posts
Welcome. I really like the XD45. Would love to get to FS at some point.

Reactions: _Scooter_

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
nice. Welcome to the group. I didn't much like the XD series since when I was buying, the grip wasn't adjustable. Ended up with a XDM 4.5" in .40 and a XDMC in 9mm. Love them both. Great guns. Enjoy yours... they are great shooters!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Howdy, from Texas. Not many polymer guns are purdy, IMO. I took my bud to the range Friday to shoot his new XD9 for the first time. He had a great time, and his XD9 shot well. I would say you made a good, practical choice, _Scooter_.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Howdy, from Texas. Not many polymer guns are purdy, IMO. I took my bud to the range Friday to shoot his new XD9 for the first time. He had a great time, and his XD9 shot well. I would say you made a good, practical choice, _Scooter_.
Thanks! Thats was pretty much what I was going for. Just a simple, practical striker fired handgun that I could use for classes and would also be a good bedside gun that wasn't too expensive, easy to get parts and accessories for, and I could just use and not worry about it.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Cool! It'll handle differently than the Berettas, and that's a good thing in my book. I shoot the XD much better than the M9. Enjoy!

·
Registered
Got ammo?
350 Posts
Hi,

Both of my other handguns are DA/SA (Beretta 92FS and M9A1) and got the itch for a striker fired handgun. Not really a Glock fan and got to handle a friend's XD45 recently while we were at Front Sight taking a 4DDH class and surprisingly liked the stock trigger of his XD45. When I got home I found an LGS that had XD9's in stock and picked one up. Really wanted the XD9 Tactical with the longer barrel, but I'm in California and we're in the middle of a "pandemic" and political uncertainty, so you take what you can get, right? I just felt fortunate that I found a shop that had a few XD9's in stock. On my pickup day they were all sold out and were replaced with a few Glocks that they just received. also a .45ACP would be nice to have, but since my other firearms are all 9mm and I've been stocking up, it only made sense to stick with what I already have.

Really liking it so far. It's not the prettiest gun, (especially sitting next to both Berettas,( kind of like a Ford Fiesta sitting next to a couple old Ferraris), but I'm impressed with the overall quality, fit and finish of the firearm. Also picked up a BladeTech holster, an Olight PL-2 Mini Valkyrie and a bunch of extra mags.

Only mod I'm doing is the poll pin replacement because I do a lot of dry fire practice at home. Have those on their way from Brownells.

Going to take it to FS next month for a 2-day Skill Builder.

This noob in California will also toss you a shy wave. 🙋‍♂️ I picked up an XD9 4" a couple months ago and have put 500 rounds though it. I can tell it's going to be an excellent firearm for me. I'm sure your love will grow as well. ;) Welcome to the club.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Reactions: ZanderMan

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Just an update: Since purchasing the XD9 I installed a set of Trijicon HD XR sights. I took the XD9 out to Front SIght last week for a 2-day Skill Builder but ended up using my 1911 the entire time. Heading back out in March for a 4-day class and am committed on using the XD9. Have a PRP drop-in trigger kit on it's way along with an oversized mag release and going to try a different slide lock. When practicing Type 3 malfunctions I sometimes have trouble locking the slide. What I do now is use the fleshy part on the inside part of my thumb just inside the knuckle.

·
Premium Member
823 Posts
Just an update: Since purchasing the XD9 I installed a set of Trijicon HD XR sights. I took the XD9 out to Front SIght last week for a 2-day Skill Builder but ended up using my 1911 the entire time. Heading back out in March for a 4-day class and am committed on using the XD9. Have a PRP drop-in trigger kit on it's way along with an oversized mag release and going to try a different slide lock. When practicing Type 3 malfunctions I sometimes have trouble locking the slide. What I do now is use the fleshy part on the inside part of my thumb just inside the knuckle.
I have this slide lock lever on my XD45 SC, it is a lot bigger in person let me tell you. I did not use that site, but mid October I ordered one more, slightly cheaper from Brownell's, still on back order, I checked during this post, Anyway I was and am willing to pay more for a great extended slide lock lever on a 'Front Sight' gun (My XD40 or XDM9, I want to keep the one on the XD45 but will swap this second one as needed. Definitely the one I want for those malfunction drills, Speaking of them you have to depress the grip safety to rack the slide

·
Premium Member
823 Posts
Well I just ordered one from XD Parts, apparently I had ordered from them before. If Brownell's gets one for me that is okay, more is better than less.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Wow, Scooter, did you do the installation and removal of your sights yourself? If so I am impressed. You will enjoy the drop in trigger kit from PRP. I installed the ultimate trigger kit and really like the results. You wont have any problems with the drop in kit but If you buy the ultimate trigger kit I would recommend buying the aluminum pre fit aluminum trigger for $50 more. Save yourself the headache.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow, Scooter, did you do the installation and removal of your sights yourself? If so I am impressed. You will enjoy the drop in trigger kit from PRP. I installed the ultimate trigger kit and really like the results. You wont have any problems with the drop in kit but If you buy the ultimate trigger kit I would recommend buying the aluminum pre fit aluminum trigger for $50 more. Save yourself the headache.
Had a gunsmith replace the sights. I've heard XD sights are notoriously tough to get out, and dont have the right tools and didnt want to botch the job scratch the slide, etc. I've done plenty or work on my other firearms though. Ended up putting the stock slide lock back on. Didn't care for the one I ordered from Pistol Gear. Definitely like the extended mag release though. That should really come in hand during my next class with timed mag changes, malfunction drills that include mag changes, etc. I've replaced several Beretta safeties and turned them into decocker only, replaced mag releases, triggers, trigger springs, hammer springs, etc. Just didn't feel comfortable replacing the sights on thee XD.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just finished installing the Powder River drop in kit. Took less than 30 minutes and a noticeable difference. Didn't really think the stock trigger was that bad, but really so many good things about the PRP drop-in kit that I figured I'd give it a try. Didn't polish any of the parts, just removed the old parts and springs and put the new parts in. Pretty darn easy!

·
Premium Member
17,850 Posts
Congrats on your purchase! The XD9 Service was my first pistol and find that I shoot it very well which is why I have kept it.

Trigger improved after 1K rounds or so, currently at about 5K (not that many).

I did send it to @ajamesp51 for a slide refinish, and he also put on a FO front sight.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Very good Scooter, I am really liking the xd more and more. I am wondering how the PRP trigger will hold up over time and how it will "break in" as well.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Very good Scooter, I am really liking the xd more and more. I am wondering how the PRP trigger will hold up over time and how it will "break in" as well.
Nearly everything I have read about the PRP drop-in kit has been positive. With that said I did have someone who is a firearms instructor tell me that they used to carry an XD with the PRP drop-in kit and he was doing a demo in front of the class and he pulled the trigger and notihing happened. He had the kit in the XD for a while and never had an issue until that moment. That combined with the fragile mags made him switch to a Glock! Still, I really like the XD9 and look at mags as consumables. Kind of like tires and brakes on a car. But with that said, I do like the design of Glock mags being metal covered by polymer.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Nearly everything I have read about the PRP drop-in kit has been positive. With that said I did have someone who is a firearms instructor tell me that they used to carry an XD with the PRP drop-in kit and he was doing a demo in front of the class and he pulled the trigger and notihing happened. He had the kit in the XD for a while and never had an issue until that moment. That combined with the fragile mags made him switch to a Glock! Still, I really like the XD9 and look at mags as consumables. Kind of like tires and brakes on a car. But with that said, I do like the design of Glock mags being metal covered by polymer.
I wonder what the problem was with the XD? I know through experience that everything wears out and you have to perform maintenance on them from time to time. Was it the striker or spring? Sounds like something failed in the slide though. PRP makes good strikers and striker springs, Ti firing indicator and spring as well .

1 - 18 of 18 Posts