Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I'd spend a few minutes intriducing myself.

I'm Robert and I grew up in North Texas. I'm approaching this hobby from a somewhat different perspective. Among other things, my father collects antique firearms. I grew up around these, caring for them and occasionally shooting them:
  • Colt SAA in .45 Colt made in 1918.
  • Colt SAA in .38-40 made in 1921 (nickle-plated with the original Mother-of-Pearl grips,)
  • Luger P-08 Artillery with the original engraved wooden grips, with all matching numbers, dated 1918. (FUN to shoot and always gets a lot of attention at the range.)
  • Several Sharps Derrengers
  • Colt Dragoon cap-and-ball
  • Colt Navy cap-and-ball
  • More rifles than I can recount including Springfield Model 1914's, Mausers, Enfields, and Nagants.
  • Black-powder muskets dating from the Colonial period to the Civil War including a near-mint Brown Bess from the 5th(?) Massachusetts Militia.
  • A Winchester Model 62 .22 pump-action rifle (my dad's first firearm,)
  • Many others (Garands, .30 carbines, etc...)
So while firearms are nothing new to me, MODERN firearms are, somewhat. I picked up a Ruger MkIII about 10 years ago and tricked it out for target shooting, but I had nothing in a more serious caliber until a week ago when I grabbed an XD(M) 3.8 Compact in .40 S&W.

I really like the gun. Out of the box, I'm reasonably consistant with it and I shoot decent groups. I'm shooting low and to the left though. I'm not sure if its me or the gun yet (probably me.) I've only put 50 rounds of PMC FMJ though it so the gun and I are still on our honeymoon and I'm still getting acquainted with it.

I'm also loooking for a self-defense round (I'll be getting my CCW soon,) so I'm open to suggestions. Reliability is my main concern, with stopping ability running second.

Lastly, is there anyone here who competes in IDPA or the like? I'd like to look into this for fun (I have enough expensive hbbies, so I've no plans for buying a hotrodded 1911 to compete with -- I just want to hone my shooting skills and have fun.)

-- Robert

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
Welcome from Pa. Seems like you have a nice old collection. As far as self-defense rounds I recommend the Federal HST's.

·
Premium Member
4,971 Posts
Welcome from Central Florida.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome from Pa. Seems like you have a nice old collection. As far as self-defense rounds I recommend the Federal HST's.
Not mie -- Dad's, and he's slowly liquidating it. I have my eye on a couple of pieces (the Nickle-plated SAA and the Luger,) though.

·
Registered
18,433 Posts
Welcome from Ohio.
SD ammo, Federal HST, Winchester Ranger T's and Speer Gold Dot are highly recommended. Get a box of each and try them in your gun and see what works best.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Welcome to The Forum

I don't know alot about guns, but it sounds like that is quite a collection!
Hope you get the ones that caught your attention.

·
Premium Member
3,766 Posts
welcome from Texas

·
Registered
11,292 Posts
Welcome aboard from Farmersville! :p

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Welcome from Georgia