Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone my name is zach. I have read up on the xd and came to the conclusion it was the gun for me. I picked my xd-45 up on thursday it feels great and I cannot wait to go shoot it tommorrow. I hope to gain more knowledge by reading further into this site thanks.

P.S.-Not to throw something dumb out there but for first time shooting the gun any particular type of ammo to pick up at the range. I have read varying accounts on this forum and was looking for opinons. Winchester white box?

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Welcome to the forum!!! Congrats on the new pistol!!! WWB is a good place to start, basically any good factory ball ammo would work. Blazer Brass is another inexpensive option. My XD45 has about 1k rounds through it and it ate every one. Another thing you might want to watch out for is apparently XD's don't like Semi Wad Cutter bullets so stay away from those. Good luck and I hope you enjoy your XD45 as much as I enjoy mine!!!

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input sounds like I may be shooting white box tommorow can't wait.

·
Premium Member
127,072 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Zach.

·
Premium Member
784 Posts
Welcome Zach.

Go to Wallmart and pick up a couple of boxes of WWB. Shoot one of them tomorrow and save one for the next go around. After you get comfortable hitting what you are aiming for, get some defensive hollow points and shoot a magazine of them down range and keep the rest for carrying in the weapon. You are going to love to shoot that gun.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
welcome to the forum! so this is your first gun ever? ever shot before? if not, don't be afraid to tell the guy/gal running the range...don't be afraid to ask for help...usually the older the shooter, the more likely and able to help ;)

especially, remember the fundamental rules of safe handling: NRA Gun Safety Rules

taking an nra pistol class is recommended as well...i've been shooting since i was knee-high to a grasshopper, and i learned stuff when i took the class...

·
Registered
559 Posts
Welcome from the lightning strike capitol of the world.

Never feel stupid about asking a dumb question, cause when it comes to firearms, the dumb question you didn't ask could kill you. We all started somewhere.

·
Registered
198 Posts
welcome to the forum! so this is your first gun ever? ever shot before? if not, don't be afraid to tell the guy/gal running the range...don't be afraid to ask for help...usually the older the shooter, the more likely and able to help ;)
+1 on this advice. I just started shooting last month and my local range was really great about this--didn't charge me for an instruction session, but gave me some basics before I went in and made themselves available if I needed them. I did some shooting at distance ranging from 3-15 yards, with the majority of my work around 7 for my first session and it went pretty well. I've got an XD9 Service and I love it. I've shot about 400 rounds 2 range sessions over the last 3 weeks and can't wait to go back and shoot some more.

Take your time, keep it simple and above all, remember to obey all the safety rules. That way, you'll have an safe and enjoyable time at the range. I look forward to hearing all about your session, so make sure you post.

Oh, and welcome from NC!

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Welcome from Indiana!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am looking for a great, but affordable, gun to carry. I was thinking about the Taurus. My job requires to carry a gun, but it must be concealed. I need something small, but can get the job done when necessary. I have a .380, but I must switch to a 9mm or a 40 cal. Any suggestions? Glocks are out of my price range.

:?:

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Welcome Zach...be safe when you shoot and triple check to make sure you are unloaded when handling unless pointed down range...Ask for help if you need it...One thing most more experienced shooters hate is an idiot on the line...

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for all the welcome advice. I went to the range yesterday and put 50 rounds through my xd45. I had a great time and didn't do half bad. Hopefully I can go again in 2 weeks and hone in on the skill.

P.S.- Any advice on cleaning products and procedures? A link to info would be great I will be searching today for this info.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts