Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
Been reading through the boards for a few days now after picking up a new XD40, so I thought I'd check in and say hi and thanks for all the good info I've gotten out of here so far. This is my first personal handgun I've owned, and I'm more than impressed. I'm in the Army, and have been overseas for 5 years, so I've been waiting for the day to own a handgun instead of just shooting the Army issue Beretta. I'm stationed at Fort Huachuca, Arizona now and I love the gun laws in this state. It still cracks me up to see all the old cowboys/ranchers walking around in Wal-Mart with 6 shooters on their hips (I grew up in NJ...never got to see that..lol)

So far the XD40 has been great for me. I've put about 3000 rounds of 7 different kinds of ammo through it without a problem yet. I'd say about 1800 rounds of that were Walmart White Box, and the other 1200 were a varied mix of Federal, Wolf, Remington, some re-loads, and a varied mix of different types of ammo my buddy bought at a gun show that was in a green army tin. I lucked out going to the range my first day, as I found a case of Remington JHP's laying at the base, and the range master told me that the border patrol left it behind when they were done shooting and told me to take it, so that saved me a few bucks.

The only thing I don't like about the XD40 so far are the finish and the protruding rod in the front. The guide rod protrudes about 1/8 inch and just annoys me a little, so I'm looking at replacing it. Also thinking about getting the Duracote that I saw from a vendor here on the forums, as my finish is already getting beat up. Other than that its great, and already whispering "Sub-Compact, Sub-Compact, better than makeup" in my wifes ear while she sleeps.

Well, I'm rambling, but thanks again for the forums and all the great info...hope to talk to some of you guys. Later...

Poly~

·
Registered
359 Posts
That protruding rod bothers some, but the fact is that it's a feature of the XD platform. I think it's for "standoff" situations. If one is pressing the weapon into someone's chest for example, the protruding rod lessens the probability that the pressure will take the slide out of battery. Therefore, the gun will still be able to fire in that situation.

-stunks

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Get a Don's guide rod and a Good coating Dura or Gun-kote or maybe even hard chrome :shock: If you send it to ajames for dura coat might as well have a nice set of sights put on .I like my Tfo's just put a set on the service to match my sub.James installs his sights for free 8)

Welcome aboard :D

·
Registered
539 Posts
stunksinatl said:
That protruding rod bothers some, but the fact is that it's a feature of the XD platform. I think it's for "standoff" situations. If one is pressing the weapon into someone's chest for example, the protruding rod lessens the probability that the pressure will take the slide out of battery. Therefore, the gun will still be able to fire in that situation.

-stunks
really? is that why its made that way?? never knew that...

i still prefer my don's guide rod though and if poly is looking for a solution to the protruding OE guide rod, i'd suggest Don's guide rod anyday. That with the wolff spring makes a noticable difference.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts