Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this one today:D. 1 of 250.the best wood I have ever seen on a marlin.
pete

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
GOOD LORD , I have an erection :mrgreen:

·
Registered
3,112 Posts

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
I had a Marlin 1895G 45/70GOVT and it was great , this gun is just the same . What a great find :D

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
range report soon

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
I've had a hankering for a lever action for quite awhile... this just might make me pull the trigger...

Very nice...:cool:

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
my fav marlin.
LTDII 45/70 24" oct barrel 1 of 1000
the only thing I have shot with it is coyotes so far.a 405 gr makes them do great flips:grin:.

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
Now see here, I just about decided to sell my .45 Colt Blackhawk and you go and show me something like that! That just ain't right.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
don't sell that blackhawk.its a real mans revolver:D:D:D:D.45 colt kicks butt.

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
don't sell that blackhawk.its a real mans revolver:D:D:D:D.45 colt kicks butt.
I agree, but I would shoot the .357 Vaquero I plan to replace it with a lot more often...you priced .45 Colt recently?

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
nope I have lots of brass a 3 bullet molds for the 45 colt.you can load that blackhawk for about $4.00 a box of 50.
pete

accusport bisley

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
nope I have lots of brass a 3 bullet molds for the 45 colt.you can load that blackhawk for about $4.00 a box of 50.
pete

accusport bisley

Nice gun, but I got you beat in the ammo department...I get .38spl and .357mag free from work. I may as well take advantage of it.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
free is always good.save your brass for a rainy day as you might change your mind on handloading.
I am a big fan of the 357 its a good round it just hasn't got the power of the 45 colt for hunting.
pete

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
I like my 1895M in .450...I call 'er "Thumper"...

What kind of rear sight is that on the rifle? The one furthest back by the hammer?

I am debating right now for a good brush rifle between a Marlin 1894 in either .357 mag or .44 mag or an 1895 Marlin in .45-70. I don't know anything about .450 Marlin.

Chapie+

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
the difference between the 450 and 45/70 is about nil.if you reload 45/70 brass sure is easy to find even wal-mart has ammo:D.both are good rounds the 450 does have a l following.I just hope hornady is still making ammo for it in ten years.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
Very nice!

Great rifle and a great caliber.

I have two 1894 Marlins - a 20" 44 magnum and a 18" 357...both straight stocked and earlier models with no crossbolt safety or checkering. The 44 mag version is scary accurate for a levergun, when I feed it jacketed bullets.

My 44 mag 1894 also has very pretty wood - the stocks are burled....like it was a special order from the factory. I wish I had a photo of the rifle handy...it looks like wood you see on Sauer and Weatherby boltguns, not Marlin leverguns. Its the companion piece to my Ruger flattop 44 mag Blackhawk. A good pair for pig hunting!

Yes, I bet that is very accurate in 45 Colt. Does it have micro-grooved rifling or Ballard cut rifling? People love to poo poo micro-grooved rifling, but if I feed mine jacketed bullets, they're very accurate.

you're right about the 45-70. My Dad has a Marlin 1895S in 45-70 and I have yet to see a pig take more than 2 steps..even when it is hit with the so-so factory loads. Impressive stopping power and fairly accurate. His wears a Lyman side mounted receiver sight.

Gotta love Marlin lever actions...my next rifle is going to be a nice early Model 39 that my daughter can use for rabbits and squirrels. One of the best rimfires ever made, if you ask me.

Very nice find...I bet its big fun to shoot!

- brickboy240

·
Registered
29,763 Posts
What kind of rear sight is that on the rifle? The one furthest back by the hammer?

I am debating right now for a good brush rifle between a Marlin 1894 in either .357 mag or .44 mag or an 1895 Marlin in .45-70. I don't know anything about .450 Marlin.

Chapie+
That's an XS ghost ring rear sight; the front blade is also XS.

I'm sure the ammo will be around for a while; and, if by some odd chance it isn't, I got dies, brass, and a lot of those 325grn WFN bullets with the rifle. Including the loaed rounds that cme with the rifle, I've probably got close to 200 cases...should keep me going for a while. I've also picked up about 4 boxes of the LeveRevolution rounds...haven't had a chance to try any yet, but I'm expecting good things...

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
Yep, I am sure that lever guns and those calibers are not what they will be looking to ban.

I am looking into an RCBS Rockchucker starter kit for Christmas. The 44 mag has gotten WAY too expensive to shoot factory ammo for plinking. The 44 Spl cowboy stuff has also gotten to be very high. My guess is that I can probably handload 44Spl cowboy ammo for around 4 bucks a box of 50. 44 mag for probably a buck more.

I don't even want to think what 45 Colt factory stuff sells for nowdays...I bet its very high.

- brickboy240

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
yesterday I saw a box of rem fac 45 colt for $35.00 OUCH!!!!.

as far as cost goes...

7000 gr's to a pound so say a lb of unique is 20.00 that is.0028 per grain.

so 9.0 grs is .0252 x 50 = $1.26 for powder

bullets cast your own = free

primers $2.80 a 100 so $1.40 per 50

a box of 50 45 colts $2.66 if you have brass/mold/lead/dies

fwiw 9.0 grs unique and a 250 gr bullet will put you at 900 fps depending on the gun and barrel lenth:D.

great info here if you want to cast your own.
pete

Cast Boolits - Dedicated To The World Of Cast Bullets!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts