Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just joined the site for the XD40 service model I purchased 3 weeks ago, and today the black gun bug bit me. I bought a new S&W M&P15R chambered in 5.45x39.
I can't wait to break it in tomorrow:mrgreen: I've always wanted one, and decided it was time.
The dealer showed me how to strip and re-assemble it, answered all my questions, but I forgot to ask if there is a cleaning kit/boresnake for this caliber. If not, what size is acceptable? He did tell me to run a .22 patch down the barrel every shot for 20 rounds, then 3-5 shot groups between patches for 30 rounds(without heating it up too much), then it's broken in. Is this correct? I trust these guys(3rd gun I've bought there), but this was an expensive purchase, and I want to do things exactly right.
I'll post pics tomorrow.

Thanks,

B

·
Banned
7,749 Posts
Welcome from another Oregonian. With any luck you're a Duck fan (even though good on them "Beav's" today for staying in the Rose Bowl hunt!!). Where in Oregon are you?

5.45? Didn't know M&P's came in that flavor but that's not saying much! :mrgreen: Why that caliber over a 5.56 or .308 if I may ask?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Couple of reasons for the caliber, The first was cheaper ammo. The second was it was either this one or a super tricked out 5.56 M&P that was way more expensive. That's all the AR's they had, They said they weren't sure when or if they would get more. I went with this one after the dealer told me I can change uppers to a different cal. if I decide to later.
And he gave me a pretty decent deal on the rifle, 1000 rounds of wolf ammo, a flip up rear sight, and an extra clip. Damn, It's like Christmas.....I can't wait to go shoot this thing!!!!!!

Not much of a sports fan, unless you consider sportbike racing a sport. But I do live in Duckville (Eugene) if that helps at all:p Where are you?

·
Banned
7,749 Posts
Couple of reasons for the caliber, The first was cheaper ammo. The second was it was either this one or a super tricked out 5.56 M&P that was way more expensive. That's all the AR's they had, They said they weren't sure when or if they would get more. I went with this one after the dealer told me I can change uppers to a different cal. if I decide to later.
And he gave me a pretty decent deal on the rifle, 1000 rounds of wolf ammo, a flip up rear sight, and an extra clip. Damn, It's like Christmas.....I can't wait to go shoot this thing!!!!!!

Not much of a sports fan, unless you consider sportbike racing a sport. But I do live in Duckville (Eugene) if that helps at all:p Where are you?
Guess since I've never looked into the 5.45 I had no idea on ammo costs.

You live in Eugene and aren't a Duck fan??? Surprises never cease!!!

I'm in Roseburg. I'm a Duck in a town that bleeds Beaver orange.

·
Banned
7,749 Posts
One drawback to the 5.45 at least in so far as a quick search of Midway goes is that it doesn't appear you can reload for the 5.45. I couldn't find brass or bullets for it. Seems you are at the mercy of Wolf ammo from here on out. The silver linning does seem to be that it is cheaper than the 5.56 ammo.

I'd be curious if others know if there are any significant differences in ballistics between 5.45 and 5.56.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Milwaukie checking in!

Nice purchase with the S&W I too didn't know it was offered in that caliber. You should post some pics :D

·
Registered
505 Posts
One drawback to the 5.45 at least in so far as a quick search of Midway goes is that it doesn't appear you can reload for the 5.45. I couldn't find brass or bullets for it. Seems you are at the mercy of Wolf ammo from here on out. The silver linning does seem to be that it is cheaper than the 5.56 ammo.

I'd be curious if others know if there are any significant differences in ballistics between 5.45 and 5.56.
I remember seeing a program on the military channle iirc and they were talking about the 5.45s better tumbling ability fwiw

·
Registered
189 Posts
My local dealer has m&p15's in 5.45x39, when I asked about this they said it was because they were trying to get their hands on as many ar's as possible and the 5.45's were in stock alot of places. 5.45 is not a bad round, it was actually designed to be a soviet equivalent to the 5.56. Ammo is cheaper, and the m&p is much more "tacti-cool" than a ak74.

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
I picked up the M&P 15R plus 1K rounds from a fellow forum member and have zero complaints. A couple months ago I picked up 2000k non corosive 5.45 ammo for 160 bucks and was planning on a tantal but lucked on getting the AR platform. From what I've read you can use standard .223/5.56 mags with the green followers or 5.45 mags for 100% relaiabilty, but everything I've read say people have had zero problems with standard AR mags.

Ammo is cheap...just avoide the corrosive ammo if you can, as stated earlier I started stocking becuase of the price on milsurplus NC even before I had anything to shoot it. Plan to purchase at least another 2000K rounds this week.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Ok first off it's a Magazine not a "clip"
I'm really surprised you guys haven't heard of it it was on the cover of G&A last month

The draw back to this rifle is the fear that if the AWB is reinstated that they will close the loop hole pertaining to military surplus ammo and you won't be able to get anything to shoot through it

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok first off it's a Magazine not a "clip"
I'm really surprised you guys haven't heard of it it was on the cover of G&A last month

The draw back to this rifle is the fear that if the AWB is reinstated that they will close the loop hole pertaining to military surplus ammo and you won't be able to get anything to shoot through it
Magazine......got it. Sorry about that.:)
If they do screw up the ability to get ammo for it, time to get a new upper. Guess I need to stock up, just in case.

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
It's only a matter of time until US ammo manufactures start producing 5.45x39 in quantity as the round increases in popularity. The same rational about ammo drying up or foreign milsurplus ammo being banned could said about 7.62x39 and foreign made .223 that everyone shoots.

·
Registered
185 Posts
congrats. on the new ar, i have a m&p15t and it is an awesome piece of firepower. as far as a break in period, i have never heard of any, nothing from s&w in their lit. i took mine out and put 200 rounds through it, cleaned it than ran another 500 through it. i was told with the crome lined barrel a break in period isnt necessary. i just keep mine well lubed, clean and shoot the h ll out of it. enjoy your new weapon, imho you found one of the best out there.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
NAHC LIFE MEMBER

WE CAN ONLY BE WHAT WE GIVE OURSELVES THE POWER TO BE..

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Went out to the boonies today to break her in and put a few rounds through the XD, and I can't believe what happened.

Got our targets set up, loaded 3 mags for the pistol, and put a round in the mag for the S&W. Went to chamber the round, and it jammed halfway in. Tapped the forward assist(not hard) and it wouldn't move. I put the safety on, and tried to pull the bolt back, but it was stuck. A couple more tugs, and it ejected the shell. I inspected it by pulling the rear pin, and tilting the upper forward everything looked fine. Put it back together, and ran a boresnake through it, cocked it, everything looked and felt fine.......it was not. Out of 30 rounds about 15 were fail to feed/jams. The last time, it had a bullet stuck almost all the way in the chamber, and the bolt would not release. When it did (five minutes later) it pulled the shell and powder, but left the lead in the barrel. I put it back in it's case, and came home.
I'm devastated, to say the least.:cry: I'm definitely taking it back to the dealer tomorrow night after work. Somebody is gonna fix this, I hope!

On a positive note, the XD performed flawlessly on the 100 rounds I shot.

B

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Try a different ammo before you blame the rifle. Wolf is known to shoot horribly in tons of firearms. I've used it once upon a time in a 9mm handgun and won't ever use it. Of course, there are people who have no problems with it but try a different ammo before you go back to the store, you might be surprised.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm going to have them remove the stuck lead from the gun and inspect it before I try to fire it again. Then they can't say I should have brought it in sooner. Besides, I want to be absolutely sure it is safe to fire.
There were metal shavings in the barrel when I purchased it. The dealer cleaned it, and it looked fine. I was just looking at it(again), and there are small metal shavings in the rifle where the top of the magazine sits under the bolt. Not sure if it is from the jammed shells or the rifle.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts