Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I decided to award myself an early xmas present for being such a high standing gentlemen and all that.

I was down to an xd, xdm, or an m&p.

When I forked over the cash last week it was on an m&p 45 after many fondlings of all three models listed above.

I just felt the m&p was a bit more quality throughout the pistol.

Not anything negative about the XD series, just my own humble opinion. I know the XD's rock. Enough said.

I took it to my firearm instructor and we shot it yesterday right out of the box and ran flawlessly with exceptional 1 hole accuracy at 7 yards for him. LOL I was a sheepish 2" hole.

The reset on the DA trigger was awesome too, he commented on that quite a bit. After our training session he said he is going to get one as well.

My cost was $569.00 OTD and a rebate for 2 free mags.

I'm very pleased and if you get the opportunity of firing an m&p I do recommend it.

Note the 45 recoil is easy as pie for double taps with this pistol. A lot less felt than my 1911's.

Overall I felt and still feel after shooting the xd 45 that giving up a few extra rounds for the 10+1 the m&p has is well worth it.

Be safe and shoot straight!

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Congrats on the new pistol! I recently got an M&P 9mm compact, after debating between that and a xd9sc. I don't regret it a bit. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, I really think Smith & Wesson hit a grand slam with that pistol. In fact I'll probably be adding another to my collection before too long.

BTW, did you get the one with or without the thumbsafety? And do you know how the .45 compares to the 9mm size wise? I have never actually seen an M&P .45 in stock at any local gunstores, so I've got no real idea on it's grip size.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I bought my first handgun this week and it was a tossup between the MP40 and XD40. I ended up buying the XD but am looking at a sibling for it. Have either of you owned a XD to compare or just handled them at the shop?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Not wanting to throw water on the M&P but I just returned my M&P 9 to the factory with a cracked slide. The S&W forum shows that this is the second one in less than a month. I would check your weapon along the slide rails for cracks.

This was my IDPA weapon and only had about 6000 rounds of Win White Box through it. No Plus P stuff.

Not sure what the final outcome will be on the weapon. Smith and Wesson has a good reputation for customer service. So far there has been no information released about the problem or its cause.

As of now our safety officers are going to inspect all the M&P's before the next match.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I have an xd 40 service. I think they are both great guns. Both have strong points and weak points. I like the trigger and the "feel" of the grip on the M&P better. Plus it generally has a higher capacity than the xd (the exception being the xd 45 vs the M&P 45). The xd has more tangible features on it, like the chamber indicator vs the M&P which only has a witness hole to see if there is a round in the chamber (pretty useless in a low light situation) and the firing pin indicator.

You really got to handle each one to see which you like better. Price is pretty close on both. Honestly you really can't go wrong with either IMO.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Not wanting to throw water on the M&P but I just returned my M&P 9 to the factory with a cracked slide. The S&W forum shows that this is the second one in less than a month. I would check your weapon along the slide rails for cracks.

This was my IDPA weapon and only had about 6000 rounds of Win White Box through it. No Plus P stuff.

Not sure what the final outcome will be on the weapon. Smith and Wesson has a good reputation for customer service. So far there has been no information released about the problem or its cause.

As of now our safety officers are going to inspect all the M&P's before the next match.
Curious if you have some pictures of this, and what serial numbers are possibly affected by this? I'm curious so I know what I should be looking for on my M&P.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Good luck with it, I freaking love mine. Got it when they first came out, not one problem, and not one malfunction. You have a bright future ahead of you LOL.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts