Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my pf9, I cold blued the barrel and did a little throat work to improve feeding.

I took the clips off of my xd40 supertuck and made a kydex/leather holster for it. It's sort of a mixture between several of the commercial kydex leathers holsters. I'm still removing leather and forming the kydex and still missing a screw. No not me the holster. :) I'm also going to make some thinner in width heavy kydex, adjustable in height, clips later. I like the height adjustment on the clips instead of on the leather.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Nice mods. My PF-9 just went back to the mothership for some tender loving care. It shoots really good for such a lightweight pistol. What do you call that wraparound grip? Does it help with the thickness and tackiness?

Hope your range trip goes well.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The grip is call Traction Grip, it's a tape one rubberized grip that doesn't add any noticeable width. It feels real good, not rough but more like a houge type grip without the added width.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Nice. I have decided to go LC9, but may end up with the PF-9 again since I can actually find them.:rolleyes: I was going to send you to a sight that had the Kydex clips pre-made, but they don't seem to have them anymore.:(

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea I was starting to panic there for a while, all the places I called where out of stock with no date on when they would get more.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yep

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK took the pf9 out for the first time. Shot 50 124gr lead TC reloads at 1147fps. Once I got used to the DA trigger it was pretty accurate at 7 yds but I was getting keyholes on about 1/2 rounds. Anybody ever have this problem?

It is a handful and after 50 rounds my had was a bit sore and my trigger finger was getting pinched.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Well from what I've read keyholing is caused by a few things: worn or otherwise jacked up rifling, burrs around muzzle, improper twist rate in the barrel for the round being fired and too hot of a round. Now don't take anything I say as even being close to law but if you consider how little time the bullet spends in the barrel of a pocket gun, it doesn't have very long to stabilize itself. Because of this, I would assume that any imperfections impact on its flight would be greatly magnified.

I would take out the barrel, clean the crap out of it, then inspect it for damage or messed up rifling. Then shoot it some more and if you still have an issue give kel-tec a call and have them fix it.

Sorry to hear about that btw. I know you have been waiting for your PF9 for a while and no one wants their new gun to have hiccups.

Shot 50 124gr lead TC reloads at 1147fps.
I assume your lead reloads have lube on them? I wonder if that is causing an issue. Try to put some regular factory ammo through it and see what happens.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
See if you still keyhole with factory FMJ. It simply might not have acquired a taste (yet) for reloads and may need to be "slugged out" by running FMJs. :)

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I slugged the barrel last night and it measured at .356 the bullets I was using were sized at .356 I'm going to shoot some factory ammo and some lead reloads that aren't sized to .356 and see how it goes.

·
Registered
895 Posts
agalindo said:
Just got my pf9, I cold blued the barrel and did a little throat work to improve feeding.

I took the clips off of my xd40 supertuck and made a kydex/leather holster for it. It's sort of a mixture between several of the commercial kydex leathers holsters. I'm still removing leather and forming the kydex and still missing a screw. No not me the holster. :) I'm also going to make some thinner in width heavy kydex, adjustable in height, clips later. I like the height adjustment on the clips instead of on the leather.
Congratulations you finally found one, you made that thing beautiful, makes me want to go out and get one and send it to you for grip mods. Those little pocket guns hurt after 50 rds, they say you get use to, guess I'll never know cause I won't take it to the range anymore. Lol.
Enjoy it buddy.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I took out the files and, yes even the dremil, and altered the beaver tail on it. I rounded the corners and smoothed out the back. I then rounded and straightened, and smoothed out out the trigger. Feel better and I think it will make more comfortable to shoot.

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
Glad you got it worked out, I had a PF9 for a short bit, but sold it because I needed the money.

Waiting to see if Sig comes out with a P238 only in 9mm or if there is a XD single stack soon, if those ideas don't pan out, I will pick up another PF9 for a bug

·
Registered
138 Posts
got mine a few weeks ago lovin it! great little pocket gun,but,it kicks a little more then what my wife likes

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Here's version 3 of the holster. Did a more aggressive combat cut and more kydex shaping. I will move the clips down 1/2 inch to make the holster ride up a bit.

Also rounded off the "beaver tail" edges so that the aren't as sharp.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
OK one more. I moved the clips down about 1/2 " will make the holster ride up about 1/2".

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thanks for the updates on this, I am looking at a PF9 or Kahr PM9 for summer carry, I will be following your thread for any further updates.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts