Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a new Kahr cm9. Pretty sweet pistol, will replace a ruger lcp when broken in. Love my xd's but this gun can be put into front pocket! This is also my 3rd Kahr and the quality is great. Wish springfield would make a 9mm pocket pistol!:D

·
Registered
29 Posts
Congrats, my PM9 has become my daily pocket carry. It's just so easy to carry and so much fun t shoot, not that I don't love my XDm but here in Florida there is no way to hide it for me.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Any chance you've ran a PM9 before and can offer your comparison between the two?
I've shot both, I was actually going to go with PM9 until the message board of the gun shop I shop at showed the cm9 as in stock. I had no idea about the pistol and looked it up, found one to shoot and went with the cm9 in the end since it shoots exactly like the pm9 and is much cheaper. The only differences on the pm9 vs the cm9 imho aren't needed unless you want them (polygonal barrel, different slide lock lever, etc.).

And I love my cm9 .. after some problems with my carry ammo (not the gun ... all ammo) it has become my EDC in my pocket. I currently have 1000+ rounds through mine.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have been looking at the CM9 and the Ruger LC9. The Kahr looks and feels good to me, but what is bugging me is the ramp site. The LC9 has the same basic 3 dot site as my XDSC9.

Not really sure that I like the idea of different sites, between the 2. I know there are 3 dot night sites for the Kahr. But the price just getting pushed higher.

Any thoughts on the different sites.

·
Premium Member
1,574 Posts
I have handguns with no dots, one dot, and 3 dots....another has bright green fiber optics, one has tritium night sights....some are revolvers, others are pistols. I personally wouldn't let the idea of dots on the sights prevent me from getting a good shooting gun. When I am on the range practicing the various drills we do, I couldn't tell you how many dots I was or was not getting in the sight picture. :)

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Fired the first 50 rounds and no problems! This pistol is smooth. Will try to finish break in this weekend.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
I'd been considering trying to get a Solo but hesitant due to their lack of availability and their high price tag ....so I went to the local shop and checked out their other CCW 9s. I was in particular interested in checking out the Sig P290 after having had shot a friends full size Sig and liking it way more than I expected.

It only took a few seconds to realize that the P290 wasn't gonna do it for me. First of all ...I pinched (and it left a definite mark) the web area of my hand, between my thumb and forefinger the very first time I racked the slide. Not ever having that happen before with another sub-compact or micro-carry before ...including the Micro Desert Eagle which I own ...I was taken aback. I tried racking it again ...this time trying to be careful to keep my 'skin' out of the way ...and still got pinched by either the slide or the 'hammer' ...not sure.

Needless to say the Sig P290 was out ...way out of the plans. Sliding on down the gun case ...I ended up looking at the PM9 and CM9 ...that just happened to be in front of another couple of gun shoppers who I got into a lengthy discussion with ...about the PM9 and CM9. Both avid gun owners/shooters raved about both guns and the one fella suggested that I go with the CM9 ...even though he owned a PM9 which he loved enough to put a hefty amount of additional money into a customization. He said pretty much everything I've read in comparison about the two guns...they both feel and shoot the same and that the 'enhanced' features of the PM9 are just not worth the additional $200+ dollars over the CM9.

I loved the way both guns felt in my hand and the trigger, the rack, and the heavy duty barrel ...though the trigger pull was kinda long ...it felt very, very smooth. After hearing such high praise about both ...and being steered towards the CM9 as essentially the same gun as the PM9, I still have been fighting the temptation to go for the PM9 ...having this obsession in general about buying the best ...or at least close to it of something ...even thought it will cost more. But the more reviews I read ...and the more testimonials I read about the CM9 ...it's slowly sinking into my thick skull that the CM9 is the wise move and a better investment ...which will allow me to add a Crimson Trace Lazer to the CM9 ...and still come out with a cheaper price tag then if I went for the PM9!

Although I'm still battling the internal 'voices' that are insisting I get the PM9 ...the more practical voices are starting to get louder and louder.

I'm headed to my first Gun Show in the Philadelphia area this weekend and planning on bringing along my Magnum Research Micro Dessert Eagle and ....probably my Walther PPS (a great gun but just a little to large for me to comfortably carry in my preferred carry, IWB) ...in hopes of finding a good deal ...either a dealer trade ...or outright sale to another attendee in order to justfy/fund the new Kahr purchase.

From everything I've heard/read about the PM9 and CM9 ...I really can't go wrong with either! To the OP ...Good luck with your CM9 ...I'm probably going to travel that route myself!

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
I've put the obligatory 200 rounds for the break-in plus 35 rounds of 124gr +P Gold Dots Short Barrel and didn't experience a single failure. The CM9 is an outstanding weapon, IMHO.

·
Registered
392 Posts
they both feel and shoot the same and that the 'enhanced' features of the PM9 are just not worth the additional $200+ dollars over the CM9.

I loved the way both guns felt in my hand and the trigger, the rack, and the heavy duty barrel ...though the trigger pull was kinda long ...it felt very, very smooth. After hearing such high praise about both ...and being steered towards the CM9 as essentially the same gun as the PM9, I still have been fighting the temptation to go for the PM9 ...having this obsession in general about buying the best ...or at least close to it of something ...even thought it will cost more. But the more reviews I read ...and the more testimonials I read about the CM9 ...it's slowly sinking into my thick skull that the CM9 is the wise move and a better investment ...which will allow me to add a Crimson Trace Lazer to the CM9 ...and still come out with a cheaper price tag then if I went for the PM9!

Although I'm still battling the internal 'voices' that are insisting I get the PM9 ...the more practical voices are starting to get louder and louder.
Keep in mind, the price difference is somewhat offset by the fact that you get an extra magazine (7 shot). So it's more like $160 difference.
The $569 Kahr CM9 – All the Features of the Kahr PM9 at $200+ Cheaper

·
Registered
194 Posts
Keep in mind, the price difference is somewhat offset by the fact that you get an extra magazine (7 shot). So it's more like $160 difference.
The $569 Kahr CM9 – All the Features of the Kahr PM9 at $200+ Cheaper

I added a second Mag, CTC laser, Front Trijicon night sight(super easy to self install BTW), and a set of Traction grips with the $200 I saved buying a CM9 vs. a PM9.
IMO, much more useful things then what you would get for the $200 with the PM9.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
I added a second Mag, CTC laser, Front Trijicon night sight(super easy to self install BTW), and a set of Traction grips with the $200 I saved buying a CM9 vs. a PM9.
IMO, much more useful things then what you would get for the $200 with the PM9.
Good points! I think I'd much rather have an addition standard mag ...and maybe a fiber optic (preferably) or Trijicon front sight only!

On recently comparing a CM9 and PM9 at all angles ....top, bottom, sides, & racked ....I had a hard time finding much of a difference ...visullay ...between the two guns. The CM9 has a little more 'angles' lines to the slide ...as opposed to the more rounded edges on the PM9's slide. And ...I've heard from a PM9 owner that he never uses the 'extened' mag he got with his PM9 so that is not an issue for me, if it's not included with the CM. My only 'real' concern is not the Hexigonal bore twist ...but I am a little concerned about the alleged additional machining involved in the production process with the PM9. I'm not to concerned about the slide lock ....more so about the slide itself and the polymer railing. :confused:

·
Registered
194 Posts
Good points! I think I'd much rather have an addition standard mag ...and maybe a fiber optic (preferably) or Trijicon front sight only!

On recently comparing a CM9 and PM9 at all angles ....top, bottom, sides, & racked ....I had a hard time finding much of a difference ...visullay ...between the two guns. The CM9 has a little more 'angles' lines to the slide ...as opposed to the more rounded edges on the PM9's slide. And ...I've heard from a PM9 owner that he never uses the 'extened' mag he got with his PM9 so that is not an issue for me, if it's not included with the CM. My only 'real' concern is not the Hexigonal bore twist ...but I am a little concerned about the alleged additional machining involved in the production process with the PM9. I'm not to concerned about the slide lock ....more so about the slide itself and the polymer railing. :confused:
To address your issues;
1. Yes some people don't have need for, or good luck with the 7rd ext. mag.
I have a 7rd ext. mag that is my back-up/second carry mag that, after I modified the edge of the base because of pinching my palm...Work's GREAT
and functions 100%.

2.The additional machining is only on the outside and cosmetic, you can see all the differences, that's IT. The PM9 is NOT machined any differently on the inside then the CM9.It is NOT machined better just more time and processes are involved in making the outside angles and roundness and lettering. If you are hear it is machined better it is just NOT true.
As far as sights go it is cake to install a different front sight's on the staked in CM. The PM is dovetailed and Kahr's are known to be very hard to remove/install from the dovetails.

3. The "poly rails" are really more like guides, for assembly of the slide to frame. The slide on both the PM/CM(all the poly kahrs actually) run on STEEL rail inserts, two long ones imbedded in the front of the poly frame and two more shorter one's imbedded in the very back of the frame. Additionally, the frames are one and the same between the PM and CM.

The CM9 is the way to go here, there really is not much to think about IMO. I was familar with Kahr's before getting my CM9 as I also own a CW9, It is made the same way the CM9 is (you can search for info on this gun and you will find many happy reviews for it as well) . I know you want to buy a quality gun for self defense, me too, trust me there are plenty of guns I would not ever recommend to others, But this is a GREAT gun you can trust. and just happens to be affordable.

So IMO go buy the CM9, put the money you save into whatever you want and "shoot it like you stole it" That is a inside Kahr guy thing from one of our members over on Kahrtalk.com I suggest you hang out there a bit and talk to some other members it is a great little forum:D and you will learn all you need to know about Kahr's you can tell um BEARDOG sent ya...LOL.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Thanks BEARDOG! Earlier today, before reading your post but after doing a little more internet searching for info and reviews on the CM9, I decided to go ahead and buy one. I would of already made the purchase but for the fact that the gun shop that I planned on purchasing it from was closing early due to the Irene aftermath conditions in the area, and I didn't have time to get there before they closed. I plan on picking up a CM9 either tomorrow or the next day or so, when I can get to a gun shop to make the purchase.

I do appreciate your post anyway because it is a very convincing testimonial from another Kahr/CM9 owner who obviously knows what they are talking about and speaking from experience. Your replies to my 'issues' ...especially your #2 reply dispelled any concerns I had about any functional differences between the PM9 and CM9. Although I have to admit I do like the more rounded edges of the PM9, I think it is something I can live without in light of the money I will be saving. I don't think I would notice the difference in the way it will 'ride' in the IWB holster I plan on using. I had also read in my search your other mentioned 'benefit' of being able to replace the front sight much easier ...and without the need of a gunsmith ...on the CM pinned front sight. I've pretty much decided to skip the CT Lazar for awhile and just go with an after market fiber optic front sight only.

I have heard the opinion that a Lazar on a gun of this size and the nature of use it would most likely be needed for ...is really not necessary and/or very useful in a typical self-defense episode.

Thanks again for your reply!

·
Registered
194 Posts
No problem Photogbill, CONGRAT's!!! I think you will be happy with it.

As far as a laser goes, completely your call, lot's of guy's shun them, lot's of guy's swear by them. I am of the second group and have then installed on many of my pistols. I consider them very useful especially on small defensive carry gun's. YMMV

Be sure to stop over at Kahrtalk.com and check out the sticky's in the Tech section about prepping/breaking in your new Kahr.

·
Registered
11,293 Posts
And I love my cm9 .. after some problems with my carry ammo (not the gun ... all ammo) it has become my EDC in my pocket. I currently have 1000+ rounds through mine.
I do like the look and feel of this little pocket pistol. Have been looking at both the LC9 and the CM9, and the CM9 is coming out on top. I did read a review out there that said the recoil springs were only good for a 1000 rounds or so before they start wearing out. Since you have been to this mark in milage, what say you???

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
No problem Photogbill, CONGRAT's!!! I think you will be happy with it.

As far as a laser goes, completely your call, lot's of guy's shun them, lot's of guy's swear by them. I am of the second group and have then installed on many of my pistols. I consider them very useful especially on small defensive carry gun's. YMMV

Be sure to stop over at Kahrtalk.com and check out the sticky's in the Tech section about prepping/breaking in your new Kahr.
Beardog ....I took the plunge tonight.
Got a great price and it's already been cleaned and oiled for it's maiden Thursday night, first shooting.

I still haven't been over to explore Kahrtalk.com yet but I will ....

Thanks again buddy for you help and encouragement!

1 - 20 of 49 Posts