Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

Last Christmas me, my brother, and my dad pitched in to buy my mom a S&W 637. Well, she hasn't shot it much or carried it at all. Part of the reason is she's not comfortable with the trigger pull. Well, I decided to start working the trigger for her in hopes of it smoothing out a little bit more over time, but I've found that the trigger does not always reset completely after a dry fire. It hangs up about halfway. You can either push the trigger from the back and it'll pop into its full reset position, or if you pull the hammer back slightly it'll reset completely. Does anyone know why this is? Is this uncommon? Should this be sent off to be looked at? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,781 Posts
If you are comfortable doing so, you can open the access panel and look to see if something is hanging up on the spring or rod in the handle. Also, maybe there is a burr or something catching... if you cant see somthing obvious, I would send it back to SW, they should help you good....

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It could be an option, does anyone know S&Ws service policies? I know the great and amazing Springfield would likely take care of it all free of charge and probably reimburse my shipping, but any guesses on what S&W might ask?

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
S&W will have you send it back for them to look at. It will be on their dime, but you'll be without a gun for a few weeks.

I would definitely go to the store and pick up a $5 can of some type of aerosol gun blaster/degreaser. Make SURE it's safe for aluminum, the 637 has a pretty fragile clearcoat over the aluminum frame. Unload it, cock it and blast into the frame in the hammer gap. Then turn it over and blast up into the frame from around the trigger.

Sounds like you might have some crud in there. The best thing to do would be to take the sideplate off for a good detail cleaning, but try the above method if you're nervous about that. Or take it to a gunshop, any reputable shop should know how to take a S&W sideplate off without damage.

You'd be amazed how dirty those guns are from the factory. I took my 637's sideplate off one day and there was a bunch of grit and grime. I think a lot of it comes from the initial break-in, where the parts wear a bit to mate up. If you've been dry firing it a lot as you mentioned, that's likely the culprit. I've taken the sideplate off for subsequent cleanings (or hammer bobs) and it's not been nearly that dirty again, even after a hundred-round session.

Then, if all that doesn't work you can go through the hassle of shipping it back and you're only out a $5 can of cleaner.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts