Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Copied from email:
Greetings Members and Happy New Year!

Headquarters is pleased to announce that we have completed the revision to the International Defensive Pistol Association Rulebook and it will be placed online and become effective on Thursday, January 6, 2005. The web address is: www.idpa.com. Understandably, everyone will want to see the results as quickly as possible, but realize that our server will not be able to process everyone’s request at once. So please be patient if your download is slow and realize that there may be 12,000 other people trying to have access to the same information.

This has been a collaborative effort that has taken over two years to complete. We were more interested in making comprehensive changes that should carry the sport well into the future, than making quick changes. We looked at questions that had been posed to HQ via e-mail, regular mail, phone and in person for the areas that needed to be clarified or redefined. We also specifically gathered information from the Area Coordinators and previous National Match Directors.

Obviously we did not make every specific change that each individual requested as that would have created utter chaos. We did look at the areas that we had obtained the most information and questions on, and tried to make changes for the good of the sport. So, if you sent information in but the revision didn’t go your way, we’re sorry but we had reasons for all the changes that we made. And we thank you for your input – all of it was valuable.

As you will see, the content of the book really didn’t change but the format did. We worked really hard at getting all the like issues together in specific sections. Hopefully you won’t have to look all over the book to find information on a specific topic like ‘cover’ for example.

Yes, there are a couple of dramatic changes. First, we have eliminated the holster list. We’re trying to work with criteria so that match directors and safety officers don’t have to try to learn about every holster maker and every model of holster out there to know whether it’s legal or not. In too many cases, holster makers developed a product, sent it to Headquarters for approval, and then changed it to an unapproved version before they actually sold it to competitors. Second, the Enhanced Service Revolver division has been added (this will be interesting). Hopefully this will level the playing field for the revolver enthusiasts. We realize that it further dilutes a small pool of shooters, but it seemed a better option than possibly excluding the use of full moon clips

We will be printing the rulebook in the near future and you will receive a copy at your next renewal. If you are a charter life member or have renewed for longer than one year, we will be systematically sending your copies within this year. We thank you for your patience as we get over 12,000 copies mailed to the membership. We will also be sending bundles of rulebooks to the clubs for their use. We thank you for your patience as we handle this distribution as efficiently as possible.

We chose to send a mass e-mail regarding the new rulebook to hopefully give everyone the same opportunity to review the work. You may choose to unsubscribe to any future e-mailings, but this is obviously the fastest way to get information to the membership. It is the only mailing that HQ has sent in the last five years, so we’ll try not to bug you too much.

Thanks for your time in reading this letter and your patience with the evolution of the sport. Your opinions do matter to us.

Sincerely,

Joyce L. Wilson, Director

International Defensive Pistol Association

2232 CR 719

Berryville, AR 72616

Phone: 870-545-3886

Fax: 870-545-3894

www.idpa.com

[email protected]

·
Registered
125 Posts
Well, I downloaded it (the Word version). I may be blind as a bat, but I don't see anything about any "Enhanced Service Revolver" division. It says "Updated" on their site, but I don't see anything different. :?:

·
Registered
125 Posts
Snake-eater 1 said:
When I checked last night, they still had the 2001 version posted. I don't think the new version gets posted until tomorrow.
Yep, I only saw the flashy, red "Update" and not the "5-2-2001" that followed it. :oops:

That, coupled with this: "it will be placed online and become effective on Thursday, January 6, 2005." mentioned in original email, only reaffirms the fact that I'm a complete idiot! :p

·
Registered
22 Posts
It's on there now. I didn't see a list of approved guns for each division, but I think the verbage still puts the xd in esp.

·
Premium Member
5,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I can say that I'm not overly happy about the enhanced revolver division criteria. And the new mag pouch and speedloader/moon clip carrier rules.
They tout that its not about an equipment race, but to allow 7, & 8 shot wheel guns into a new division and put the traditional 6 shot guns in it just because they use moom clips sure sound like a race to me.
And make it a 165 PF with 9mm is stupid. I know the first time I'm the SO and some feller shows up with his 9mm home brew reloads loaded to 165 PF, I'm standing to the rear and wearing a flak vest when I push the buzzer. :evil:

·
Super Moderator
8,970 Posts
I have a few concerns. First, a belt can be no more than 1.75" wide, which means I need to buy a new belt.

Second, their new ruling on holsters has eliminated 90%+ of the holsters available in the market and used throughout the years; a majority of which are synthetic holster.

In the end, I think many are going to stop shooting IDPA and start shooting USPSA because of the equipment restrictions. Heck, you would think they have an investment in leather holdings are their rules basically say that leather holsters and belts are good, synthetic holsters and belts are bad. Roto-Holsters are now evil!

·
Registered
125 Posts
So if I'm reading this correctly, it states that the current variation of the Uncle Mike's Kydex is not approved. That lends me to believe that the older style still is. And what's the deal with not being able to have an adjustable cant?! As long as it's not adjusted in a forward position, what's the big friggin' deal?!?!?! :x

All I can say is that as a Match Director of our small club up here, unless the guy's using a race rig, I'm letting him shoot. If you wanna go shoot a "big" match, then by all means, stick to the rules. But I'm not going to penalize some guy just because I can see some light through his friggin' belt loops! :x

When (notice I say "when") the day comes that they tell me I can't use my Langdon holster (uh-oh, it was designed by a man that whooped a$$, it must be "gamey" :roll: ), that's the day I hang up my IDPA hat.

Next thing you know, we'll be required to have thumbsnaps and covered mag pouches. Man this chaps my a$$!!! :x

We have to have faith in our MD's and SO's to use their heads and have some common sense when applying these new rules. :wink:

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
The new rules bite.... Just check out the weight limits on revos... Many are too heavy.

will go into more later, too angry right now..

More USPSA for me, less IDPA.

They got what they wanted.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Old School
"They" do have an investment in leather holsters, it's called Wilson Combat. I doubt that any of Wilson's holsters have been rendered "illegal".

·
Super Moderator
8,970 Posts
Snake-eater 1 said:
Old School
"They" do have an investment in leather holsters, it's called Wilson Combat. I doubt that any of Wilson's holsters have been rendered "illegal".
I heard that! I laughed when they mentioned how a Wilson holster was a legal holster.

It will be interesting to see how this all shakes out. For now, all the guys I shoot with, are quite upset about the fact they need to buy new gear and are now considering USPSA in 2005.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Maybe they also have some investment in glock, since they are allowed to shoot in ssp since they have a semi, almost, partial, sort of double action. I guess we can call this the "glock clause" in the rule book. I know the reasoning behind it, but I just think the glock and xd should be classified together. I had hoped this would change with the new rule book.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
They also can be shot in ESP and CDP, depending on caliber. It's good to be Glock!

If you think the difference between XD and Glock action types is picking nits, have you read the new rulebook, especially the part regarding holsters? It's a whole new (confusing) ballgame :!: :(

·
Super Moderator
8,970 Posts
This new rule book is awful and the part regarding legal holsters has a lot of people red-hot (I am one of them). As an example, it seems to the me that any rig by Blade-Tech, Fobus, Uncle Mike, Fist, and many others are now illegal, because they are "offset" from the body. This is BS! If you look at the rules, it seems that only leather holsters will fit the bill, as Kydex and plastic can't laydown the same way, as tight, as leather.

I hope IDPA wakes up and better defines what a legal holster is and give some examples of common holsters that are legal. Heck, Blade-Tech was the most used rig at National last year, and now they are illegal. This goes for the Ky-Tac rig that Dave Sevigney uses and the Safariland holster that Leatham uses. Very annoying.

Personally, I can't afford to by all new gear just to play in this new, smaller box. Althought I enjoy IDPA and had big ambitions for this year, I may have to switch gears and shoot USPSA instead.

What holster were you planning to use this year and is it now deemed illegal under the new rules?

Old School

·
Premium Member
5,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm out over $500.00 in gear between the holsters, mag pouches and moon clip carriers. I have nine of the Blade Tech moon clip holders at $28.00 each, and both holsters for my 625, 646 & 686 at $85.00 each are history along with the one for my XD at $65.00. NOT a happy camper. All of my XD Blade Teck mag pouches are OK, but my Hoffners are bad.

The 39oz weight limit for SSP. Where the heck did they come up with these limits. That alone eliminates the Para LDA double stack 1911s from SSP. They are listed on Para's web site at 40oz. The single stack LDAs are 39oz and I hope that includes the empty mag or it will be eliminated. Thats means these folks with $800.00 double action 1911s are gone from SSP along with one Sig model.
Whats Todd Jarrett gonna shoot!!!!! :evil: :evil:

·
Registered
125 Posts
I've been stewing over this for two days now. :x This is so absolutely ridiculous!!! So what the "powers that be" are telling me is that I'm essentially a fool if I:
1. Carry my firearm in a holster with an adjustable cant,
2. My firearm weighs more than what "they" think it should,
3. Use a springclip speedloader (and God forbid I ever dream of carrying one with a 5" bbl! :roll: ),
4. Want to use a steel guide rod in my Glock (yeah, I'm one of those guys you see changing out guide rods before/after each match.:roll: ),

And too many more to list. I'm so pissed I can't think straight. I'm sure that "they" give two craps about this and would tell me to go shoot USPSA if I want to be in an equipment race. I'm sure USPSA won't mind my "gamey" Bladetech. :roll:

You know, it wouldn't surprise me if it comes to only being able to use an IWB holster and a single mag carrier. If they want to get so damn nit-pickey about it, why don't we go all the way?! Let's do it right:
1. No OWB holsters - period.
2. Single mag carriers only (who'd ever dream of carrying two? :roll: )
2. Alloy/poly frames only (who in their right mind would carry something "so heavy" as all steel? :roll: )
3. Revolvers - let's make 'em 3" or less.
4. Autos - see #3 (unless it's a Wilson of course :roll: )
5. Plastic on gun is good - plastic on hip is bad. Leather only.
6. Inspection of each and every shooter's equipment before each and every match (Oh, you came down from Canada to shoot? Sorry, you might as well turn back with that Fobus Roto rig. Sorry :roll: ).

I say screw it and just shoot!!!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts