Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I just purchased a home that has been bank owned for 5 years. After beginning the move in process this week, I hear the old lady yelling from the master bedroom "COME UP HERE!!". I retort with the usual "whats going on", and she responds "THERE'S A GUN UP HERE POINTED RIGHT AT ME!!".

I head on up the stairs and find she has uncovered a gun on the very top shelf pushed way in the back. I get the gun, make sure it's clear, and find that it is a Ruger P85 (MKIIR). Im thinking cool.....a new addition to my collection (although not nearly as nice as my XDM 9mm 3.8). As I start looking the gun over, I see that on the front of the slide is the markings "WSP 509". The brain starts thinking what could this be......and then I realize the "WSP" is probably Washington State Patrol.......oh crap!

This brings me to my questions:
1.) Should I just keep the gun in the safe and consider it a gift?
2.) Is it illegal to own a WSP pistol with these markings?
3.) What would you do in this case?
4.) Any opinions on the value?
5.) Any opinions on the quality of this gun?

Thanks for any responses in advance,
Mike

·
Registered
532 Posts
If you plan on keeping the pistol, have the serial number checked to see if it has ever been stolen. It would be quite embarrassing to be carrying it and getting checked by the police for some reason and have it turn up on the stolen list. If it's clear, keep it.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
yeap agree. call the police they can run it and you can still keep it...if it is clean

·
Registered
942 Posts
Yea, as others said call in and see if its good or not. If they take it no biggie, dosnt sound like much of a loss. If you can keep it, sweet, add one more to the collection

·
Registered
371 Posts
Call the cops definantly. But if they say that you can keep it, Rugers, especially the old heavy steel guns are known to be reliable. Add to the fact that you already shoot 9mm, and I'd say that you just lucked up on cool, knock around "truck" gun.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
I aint a lawyer, just passing on something read on the net. However, under Federal Law you are required to contact your local PD to see if it's been reported Lost or Stolen. At that point if it has been reported Lost or Stolen the PD is supposed to make an effort to return it to the Legal Owner. Only if they are unsuccessful at doing that may they then return the gun to you. In addition that transfer of ownership will have to be recorded by an FFL.

As for not reporting it, if you are caught with it in your posession you could be facing either local or federal violations.

As for the WSP markings, it means one of 2 things, either the gun was stolen from a trooper or it was sold/traded in when the WSP moved to a new platform. BTW, there is a collectors market for Police marked firearms, so it's pretty common.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
i did not know about if it is stolen, and they can not return it to the owner then you can get it back... pretty cool....

·
Registered
11,293 Posts
Wow! This is a good Omen for your new home! I hope it all works out for the best for you. :p

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
However, under Federal Law you are required to contact your local PD to see if it's been reported Lost or Stolen.
What Federal Law would that be? The only Federal Law related to lost or stolen guns, that I'm aware of, applies to FFL's who have guns lost or stolen from their inventory.

OP, if you want legal advice ... consult with an attorney.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Only thing I might add, is if the police do take the gun make sure they give you a written copy that they did take it from you, to have it checked out. Let them know you want written copty of what happened to the gun in the end if it was not returned to you and why. You purchased the house and it's belongings not them. If the gun turns up clean then I'd think that gun belongs to you. You might have to fill out the proper paper work though before it is returned to you.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
Not really a GOOD omen. If you have ever owned or shot a P-85...you know why. Now if you had found a nice Series 70 Government Model....well...

Better check with police....I'd hate to get in trouble for a measly Ruger P85!

Ruger makes some excellent pistols (like their single action revolvers and 22 autopistols) but the P-85/89 series was NOT one of their better ideas. I owned one many moons ago - terrible trigger and a big clunky, inaccurate thing it was.

- brickboy240

·
Registered
324 Posts
My wife and I just purchased a home that has been bank owned for 5 years. After beginning the move in process this week, I hear the old lady yelling from the master bedroom "COME UP HERE!!". I retort with the usual "whats going on", and she responds "THERE'S A GUN UP HERE POINTED RIGHT AT ME!!".

I head on up the stairs and find she has uncovered a gun on the very top shelf pushed way in the back. I get the gun, make sure it's clear, and find that it is a Ruger P85 (MKIIR). Im thinking cool.....a new addition to my collection (although not nearly as nice as my XDM 9mm 3.8). As I start looking the gun over, I see that on the front of the slide is the markings "WSP 509". The brain starts thinking what could this be......and then I realize the "WSP" is probably Washington State Patrol.......oh crap!

This brings me to my questions:
1.) Should I just keep the gun in the safe and consider it a gift?
2.) Is it illegal to own a WSP pistol with these markings?
3.) What would you do in this case?
4.) Any opinions on the value?
5.) Any opinions on the quality of this gun?

Thanks for any responses in advance,
Mike
Contact the a lawyer 1st then the LEO's, but seeing as you purchased the house. That entitles you to ANY AND ALL items inside the house at the time of purchase. Therefore this gun belongs to you as well.

Case in point, if you had a million dollars worth of gold that you found in the house after you purchased said house. You are the official owner of that gold. Whatever you do, DO NOT LET THE LEO's REMOVE THAT RIFLE FROM YOUR HOUSE.

·
Premium Member
1,322 Posts
Contact the a lawyer 1st then the LEO's, but seeing as you purchased the house. That entitles you to ANY AND ALL items inside the house at the time of purchase. Therefore this gun belongs to you as well.
I don't think this is very sound advice. If you buy a house with stolen property in it (firearms, couch, refrigerator), I don't think you're entitled to keep it. But sound advice on contacting a lawyer first, always a good plan.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts